991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Play in shock absorber - wear and tear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023 | 02:47 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Default Play in shock absorber - wear and tear?

Car is a 2018 991.2 GT3 Touring. Mileage:14000 miles. Bone stock. At latest inspection the tech discovered a "play" in the upper mount of the front suspension. Since I have Porsche Approved I wasn't worried and they also said it will be covered. But yesterday they came back and said Porsche judged this as "wear and tear" and therefore it isn't covered under Approved...

Unfortunately I didn't see exactly where the play is but the workshop says the strut needs to be replaced. Since the car is >3 years, both sides should be replaced.

Now, I struggle a bit to understand how 14000 miles is enough to create a play in a component that is designed for many, many times that distance. Things can happen though, that's why I have Approved, so I am very disappointed to learn that Porsche says this is on me.

Any thoughts? TIA.
Old 09-13-2023 | 10:32 AM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Out here we would call Porche Cars North America (Porsche corporate) and discuss exactly that. Unless the suspension is modified, the car is obviously abused or something, have a chat with the corporate.
Old 09-13-2023 | 11:17 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I am first owner and I can guarantee the car is not abused. When I think of it, no one other than me has even driven the car. Sure, it has seen the track but I would judge max 10% of the mileage is on track. On top of that I tend to have a lot of "mechanical sympathy" towards my stuff, so I don't hit curbs etc. I don't get paid to set laptimes, I'm just having fun in a controlled environment.

As I said the car is bone stock, otherwise I would not been allowed the Approved. The service mgr at the dealer has handled the contact with PAG in my country and he says he's tried hard on my behalf but they wouldn't budge. I still think it is strange that something would start to develop play after this short mileage...
Old 09-13-2023 | 11:30 AM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Try giving them a call yourself, no harm.
Old 09-13-2023 | 11:47 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Yup, I think I'll do just that.
Old 09-13-2023 | 06:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

deleted

Last edited by Larry Cable; 09-13-2023 at 07:00 PM. Reason: I read the thread ... doh!
Old 09-13-2023 | 07:44 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
Car is a 2018 991.2 GT3 Touring. Mileage:14000 miles. Bone stock. At latest inspection the tech discovered a "play" in the upper mount of the front suspension. Since I have Porsche Approved I wasn't worried and they also said it will be covered. But yesterday they came back and said Porsche judged this as "wear and tear" and therefore it isn't covered under Approved...

Unfortunately I didn't see exactly where the play is but the workshop says the strut needs to be replaced. Since the car is >3 years, both sides should be replaced.

Now, I struggle a bit to understand how 14000 miles is enough to create a play in a component that is designed for many, many times that distance. Things can happen though, that's why I have Approved, so I am very disappointed to learn that Porsche says this is on me.

Any thoughts? TIA.
I just had a similar issue come up on my last track inspection. At full extension one of my front struts had some play. I was told this is common on these cars and has something to do with a washer that is not thick enough and bends. For my car it only happens when the strut is at full extension and was told not to worry about it.

I was also going to see if I could get this covered under warranty, So I am interested in how you make out.
Old 09-14-2023 | 02:51 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Ah - thanks NHmacan! As I said, I haven't seen it myself, but I was told that they discovered it when the car was on the lift, i.e. wheels unloaded. I haven't felt anything while driving.
If what you say is what happened also to my car, I would like to understand if the washer just could be replaced?
Old 09-14-2023 | 05:18 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What is Porsche Approved? The same as the Porsche Platinum Plan or CPO?

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 09-15-2023 | 02:11 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

I am not familiar with those but Porsche Approved in Europe is something that is offered/possible after factory warranty runs out after two years. It is basically a prolongation of the factory warranty. Of course it comes with a cost, but I see it as an insurance. Preconditions are that the car is serviced/maintained by a Porsche dealer and that there are no aftermarket modifications done to the car.

Naturally, since I have fulfilled all of the conditions, I am more than a bit irritated that PAG decides that a failed shock absorber after 14000mi isn't covered by Approved.

Last edited by erik_plus8; 09-15-2023 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-15-2023 | 09:33 AM
9914s
Rennlist Member

I am not familiar with those but Porsche Approved in Europe is something that is offered/possible after factory warranty runs out after two years. It is basically a prolongation of the factory warranty. Of course it comes with a cost, but I see it as an insurance. Preconditions are that the car is serviced/maintained by a Porsche dealer and that there are no aftermarket modifications done to the car.

Naturally, since I have fulfilled all of the conditions, I am more than a bit irritated that PAG decides that a failed shock absorber after 14000mi isn't covered by Approved.
This is what I received from PÁG after complaining about the dealers refusal do fix my car under warranty. Good luck.

Thank you for contacting Porsche Cars North America regarding your 2018 911 GT3.

We sincerely regret to learn of these concerns that prompted you to contact us, but we appreciate you taking the time to make us aware. Please be assured that this is not the type of experience that we would ever want you to have with the Porsche brand.

There are several factors that affect the way in which vehicle components age and wear or malfunction. Because of this, it is difficult to place a specific life expectancy to any component.

When a question of warranty exists, we do rely on our authorized Porsche dealerships as our technical resource. With factory trained technicians and technical support from the factory, the Service Department would be in the best position to properly diagnose your vehicle and advise on what would, and would not be covered under warranty.

We do stand behind our dealerships, and we are unable to overturn their determination or provide a different resolution. At this time,

we must encourage you to continue working with your dealership for any further steps or information. Please be assured, however, your comments have been documented internally.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this email or give us a call at 1-800-PORSCHE.​ We are available Monday to Friday from 8AM until 10PM and Saturday from 8AM until 8PM EST.​​​

Old 09-15-2023 | 09:57 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Thanks for input! Hm, in my case the dealer tried to convince Porsche to allow Approved to kick in, in your case it was basically the other way around - Porsche trusts their dealer/technicians to make the decisions.

In the mean time I have contacted Porsche and started a "ticket". They will get back to me, let's see what happens.
Old 09-15-2023 | 11:16 AM
NHmacan
Racer

Ah - thanks NHmacan! As I said, I haven't seen it myself, but I was told that they discovered it when the car was on the lift, i.e. wheels unloaded. I haven't felt anything while driving.
If what you say is what happened also to my car, I would like to understand if the washer just could be replaced?
From what I am told the struts can be rebuilt and my Indi Tech told me the place he sends them out to stacks a few washers to make it stronger. If you are going through Porsche I doubt they will offer a rebuild and would just swap out a new one.
Old 09-18-2023 | 03:28 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NHmacan
From what I am told the struts can be rebuilt and my Indi Tech told me the place he sends them out to stacks a few washers to make it stronger. If you are going through Porsche I doubt they will offer a rebuild and would just swap out a new one.
Yep. I will also let my trusted Indi shop have a look, if Porsche persists in not wanting to help out.

Quick Reply: Play in shock absorber - wear and tear?