Sponsored by:

Newbie question re ESC & TC

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 09:50 AM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Newbie question re ESC & TC

I’m a relatively new GT3 991.2 owner but a long time Porsche owner (2 x 996 911 turbo x50’s owned prior. The turbos, being older models, had PASM while the GT3 has ESC stability control and TC
I never bothered turning the PASM off in the turbos, and did track the cars a few times just leaving it on
My question- when and why would anyone turn their ESC or their ESC + TC buttons off in a GT3?
Old 09-12-2023, 10:14 AM
JRoman21
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastboy
I’m a relatively new GT3 991.2 owner but a long time Porsche owner (2 x 996 911 turbo x50’s owned prior. The turbos, being older models, had PASM while the GT3 has ESC stability control and TC
I never bothered turning the PASM off in the turbos, and did track the cars a few times just leaving it on
My question- when and why would anyone turn their ESC or their ESC + TC buttons off in a GT3?
If you want to have fun drifting and or do donuts/burnouts, turn off ESC + TC.

If you want to track your car and have a bit more fun/leeway, turn off ESC.

If you want think you are a better driver than the car itself, turn off everything. Just remember that race cars have TC and are used for a reason.

HAVE FUN!
The following 5 users liked this post by JRoman21:
bogey1 (09-13-2023), Fastboy (09-12-2023), Larry Cable (09-12-2023), Rick GT3 (09-13-2023), TheDangerZone (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 11:51 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 327 Posts

It's nice to see that traction control light flash occasionally, it means you're pushing the car!
The following 2 users liked this post by RDCR:
Larry Cable (09-12-2023), Rick GT3 (09-13-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 12:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,593 Likes on 2,339 Posts

just to be clear PASM and ESC/TC are not the same, and your Turbos also had some form of either traction and/or stability control

PASM is Porsche Active Suspension Mgmt, which controls the compression/rebound of your dampers, typically "normal"or "sport" and you cannot "turn it off" ... you can only select one of the modes and it is not related
to either of the following:

ESC is Electronic Stability Control, which actively monitors the car's "yaw rate" and will attempt to recover/correct such when it detects excessive yawing of the car (e.g oversteer)

TC is Traction Control, which actively monitors how the car is delivering power and will attempt to control any loss of traction to a particular wheel

so on the GT3 you can disable ESC to allow the car to yaw more, but retain TC, or disable both.

PTV+ (just for completeness) is effectively a combo where the car brakes the "inside" rear wheel in a corner to transfer power to the outside wheel to "encourage" the car to rotate more into the corner, and wears your
brake pads into the bargain!
Old 09-12-2023, 12:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RDCR
It's nice to see that traction control light flash occasionally, it means you're pushing the car!

agree! - I typically do not disable either on track - I figure that it might save me one day ... and unlike BMW M ESC/TC GT car programs are not intrusive!

The following 3 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
Anu2g (09-12-2023), bogey1 (09-13-2023), ParadiseGT3 (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 02:34 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 915 Likes on 506 Posts

As above, turn all off to hoon.

Possibly find some time on a wet track, maybe.

In certain dry conditions, might be a tick quicker on some corner exits everything off. TC can arrest full power slightly longer than it should, particularly if tires and track are greasy. But much of the time if the systems are intervening hard you're in the process of going slower.

If you're responding properly/timely to useful slip angle the systems allow it.
Old 09-12-2023, 03:33 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Thanks all
I’ll have to find a safe area to try the two buttons out independently and hit it a bit. I’m not in the same skill set as many of you re driving proficiency so I’m
cautious - but what I’m reading here is that for people like me, there’s not much justification in turning them off unless I want to pull a burnout and I enjoy buying new tires as a hobby 😀
The following 2 users liked this post by Fastboy:
bogey1 (09-13-2023), spyderbret (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 03:43 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

As with all cars, the reason to turn off esc and tc is to learn your car’s handling/behavior at/beyond the limit, and develop the skills to handle that which make you a better driver overall, no matter what car you’re driving.

It makes you a safer driver because you know how to find, exceed, and recover from the limits of the car. It makes you a faster driver because you can drive at the limit. It makes driving a lot more fun as you can enjoy what a car really has to offer, and the all the nuances of how it performs.

Of course the best way to learn all this is on track, and usually with an instructor to guide your learning.

It’s great to have a fast car. Much better to be a fast driver.
The following 2 users liked this post by ninefiveone:
Crubbert (09-19-2023), Fastboy (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 03:54 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ninefiveone
As with all cars, the reason to turn off esc and tc is to learn your car’s handling/behavior at/beyond the limit, and develop the skills to handle that which make you a better driver overall, no matter what car you’re driving.

It makes you a safer driver because you know how to find, exceed, and recover from the limits of the car. It makes you a faster driver because you can drive at the limit. It makes driving a lot more fun as you can enjoy what a car really has to offer, and the all the nuances of how it performs.

Of course the best way to learn all this is on track, and usually with an instructor to guide your learning.

It’s great to have a fast car. Much better to be a fast driver.
Valuable input thanks!
Old 09-12-2023, 05:05 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 915 Likes on 506 Posts

Thanks all
I’ll have to find a safe area to try the two buttons out independently and hit it a bit. I’m not in the same skill set as many of you re driving proficiency so I’m
cautious - but what I’m reading here is that for people like me, there’s not much justification in turning them off unless I want to pull a burnout and I enjoy buying new tires as a hobby 😀
You'll have to really try, pinned rear axle is the GT3's trump card. On/off under all (rational) road circumstances makes no difference, different modes are rarely perceptible on track.

Recommend wet parking lot if you want to try unsticking it.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

just as an FYI (I attended) the Porsche Sport Driving School "G-Force" event which teaches GT3 control at and beyond the limit, and in order to do that you turn off both ESC+TC *and* put winter tires on the car then take it out on a wet surface ... and then you have to really "abuse" the car to get it to hang its *** out, but once you do there is a surprising amount of inertia involved.

I personally would *not* disable ESC+TC on track with or without an instructor in order to explore the limits and beyond + the risk/reward is too high for me - there is no "reset button" in real life ... mistakes can have real (expensive) and sometimes fatal consequences... YMMV
The following users liked this post:
RDCR (09-13-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 11:58 PM
slawus
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
just as an FYI (I attended) the Porsche Sport Driving School "G-Force" event which teaches GT3 control at and beyond the limit, and in order to do that you turn off both ESC+TC *and* put winter tires on the car then take it out on a wet surface ... and then you have to really "abuse" the car to get it to hang its *** out, but once you do there is a surprising amount of inertia involved.

I personally would *not* disable ESC+TC on track with or without an instructor in order to explore the limits and beyond + the risk/reward is too high for me - there is no "reset button" in real life ... mistakes can have real (expensive) and sometimes fatal consequences... YMMV
well said , 500hp. -full throttle on a rear wheel drive car with no traction on is not a joke , car can slide left or right in a split second and then it is to late.

Last edited by slawus; 09-13-2023 at 12:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by slawus:
Larry Cable (09-13-2023), Rick GT3 (09-13-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 09:58 AM
Lolo La Torche
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable

100% agree

My aim is to be as fast as possible without seeing any orange signal telling me that ESC or TC had to operate

Quick Reply: Newbie question re ESC & TC