PCCB to Steel Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 05:57 PM
superiaultra
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCCB to Steel Brake Question

Hello Rennlisters,

Recently (today) just finished a deal on a 991.1 GT3RS. Just waiting for it to be picked up and delivered to me. It has always been my dream car, and I'm kicking myself for not buying one in 2018-2019 as prices were better, but it will still bring a smile to my face! Anyways, on to my question.

Part of the reason I bought this car was I want to track it, I have a full blown race car, but this is a track car I can legitmately drive on the street. My question is, I know that you can get PCCB replacement rotors while still utilizing the PCCB caliper, but can I replace the entire braking system with the steel calipers also? From researching, the issues with still retaining the PCCB calipers is you can only fit 20's on them and potentially some 19's? My reasoning for stepping down to 19's is better tire choice and just saving weight. But not sure if anyone has just installed all steel calipers also on their cars (I researched and couldn't find anything) so wondering if the knuckle is different or anything.

I know some will say just go AP Racing, but I have 9668 on the front and 9448 on the rear of my race car, and before it got a full cage, even with the anti rattle clips they were noisy etc. Trying to keep it as dual duty as possible.

Thank You!
Old 07-18-2023, 07:17 PM
Kong24680
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve seen people with PCCBs switch to the PFC BBK kit to run 19s. Dundon has got them on their website. I’d recommend reaching out to them directly. They’re team is super responsive and can probably answer any track/fitment related questions.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:05 AM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 324 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by superiaultra
Hello Rennlisters,
Part of the reason I bought this car was I want to track it, I have a full blown race car, but this is a track car I can legitmately drive on the street. My question is, I know that you can get PCCB replacement rotors while still utilizing the PCCB caliper, but can I replace the entire braking system with the steel calipers also? From researching, the issues with still retaining the PCCB calipers is you can only fit 20's on them and potentially some 19's? My reasoning for stepping down to 19's is better tire choice and just saving weight. But not sure if anyone has just installed all steel calipers also on their cars (I researched and couldn't find anything) so wondering if the knuckle is different or anything.

I know some will say just go AP Racing, but I have 9668 on the front and 9448 on the rear of my race car, and before it got a full cage, even with the anti rattle clips they were noisy etc. Trying to keep it as dual duty as possible.

Thank You!
You have some options. It sounds like the AP kit would be best suited for you from a dual duty stand point if noise is a concern. A bit surprised to hear your current AP kit is noisy with the anti rattle clips, as that is the first I have heard that. Perhaps you have an older design or something?

The PFC kit will clear 19's no problem as well, but its not as steet friendly in terms of noise and street worthy compounds. PFC is working on a street pad for their Sport kits but it's not available yet. This could be an option.

You could also switch to the iron/red calipers and run 2 piece discs, i.e. girodisc, AP, PFC etc...You could then run 19s and would have a host of compounds available to you. This is a decent option, but you are still likely looking at $5-7k for this setup sourcing used calipers. I think the AP kit would make more sense in this case though.

I am also putting together a kit with ST rotors and PFC calipers, which will allow you to run carbon ceramic discs with PFC calipers and 19" aftermarket wheels. Noiseless and dustless, but very capable on both street and track, no need to change compounds between events.

Feel free to send me an email or give me a call. Would be happy to talk pros and cons of each option.

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
Old 07-19-2023, 12:25 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 664 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by superiaultra

Thank You!
First, thank you for your business!

Are you talking about squealing noises? If so, that is primarily a function of pad choice. We have never had any issues at all with pad rattling noises when the pad tension kits are installed (which they come standard in our 991 GT3 kits). Some people also occasionally get a little chatter from the pads hitting the J Hook slots, but that is usually a relatively quiet 'whirring' noise. Trying to describe sounds via text is always fun.

If you don't want to go with the full AP Radi-CAL kit on the new car, You can buy the red OEM iron calipers, and we have two-piece AP Racing J Hook Discs in the OEM sizes to complement them (see links below). The Red OEM calipers that come with iron discs from the factory have less aluminum material on the bottom part of the caliper vs. the yellow ones that come with PCCB. The yellow ones have added material on the bottom to push them out further away from the hub to accommodate the giant PCCB discs. They're otherwise essentially the same.

Obviously our 2-piece discs will fit any wheel that the OEM iron brakes will fit, since they use the same caliper. Paired with the right set of pads, these are as streetable as it gets, while still offering a huge performance advantage over stock iron discs. Our recommended pads are Ferodo DS2500 for the street and Ferodo DS3.12 for track. These two compounds are compatible with each other, and can be swapped back and forth on the same set of discs without having to re-bed, worrying about judder, etc.

Front AP J Hooks for OEM red iron calipers= https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...1gt3iron-front
Rear AP J Hooks for OEM red iron calipers= https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...91gt3iron-rear

Ferodo pads for front 991 GT3 OEM calipers can be found here, along with SS brake lines= https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...RS/Iron%20disc

Our complete Radi-CAL brake kits weigh about 33 lbs. less than the OEM iron setup though, fits inside many 19s, and offers the big benefits of easy pad changes, etc. (which you already know about).

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 07-19-2023 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2023, 09:42 AM
markiegt3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

@ JRitt@Essex - do you have a UK retailer?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-20-2023, 09:45 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 664 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by markiegt3
@ JRitt@Essex - do you have a UK retailer?

Thanks,

Mark
Hi Mark,
Please check with Circuit Supplies. They are an authorized reseller of ours. If they can't or won't help you for any reason, please shoot me a PM. Thanks!

Circuit Supplies (UK) Ltd.

Unit 8,Eden Court Chartwell Business Park Leighton Buzzard Bedfordshire LU7 4FY

Bedfordshire,

LU7 4FY
01525 385888
info@circuitsupplies.com
http://www.circuitsupplies.com

Old 07-21-2023, 04:18 AM
markiegt3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

Great, thanks