Issue with oil service reminder reset - iCarsoft V3.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 08:04 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,522 Likes on 547 Posts
Default Issue with oil service reminder reset - iCarsoft V3.0

Hello everyone!

After changing the oil, I reset my oil service reminder on my 2018 GT3T with an iCarsoft POR V3.0 gifted to me by a friend (who foolishly sold his GT3). The programming seemed to go well and now the reminder correctly says the next oil change is due in 12000 miles or on 6/2024 but the issue is that this reminder shows at every startup. I believe it is only supposed to start showing up when you are <1 month from due date. This isn't a huge issue but I'd prefer it behave like it is supposed to. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions with this?

TIA!

Old 07-06-2023, 10:26 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Bumping in case anyone has seen this issue before.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2023, 12:36 PM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

When I did mine the first time there was a menu with different services and if you do not choose the proper one it will not reset.
Old 07-06-2023, 02:08 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 452gt3
When I did mine the first time there was a menu with different services and if you do not choose the proper one it will not reset.
Do you recall which service is the right one? It seems to be at least partially successful as the reminder date was changed (it was 6 / 2023 prior to my resetting and is now correctly 6 / 2024) - the problem is that the reminder shows up on every start rather than when you are getting close to the date like it is supposed to.
Old 07-06-2023, 08:03 PM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry I don't recall but it needed to be the proper schedule.
Old 07-06-2023, 11:04 PM
LAPorsche3
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Thinking aloud here. Is your regular clock date set to 2023 or accidentally adjusted to next year?
Old 07-07-2023, 08:41 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LAPorsche3
Thinking aloud here. Is your regular clock date set to 2023 or accidentally adjusted to next year?
I had thought of that too but it is indeed correctly set (I think it syncs with satellite time or something because I don't have to adjust it ever)

At least this is in the PCM - is there another date/time setting buried in the ECU?

Last edited by RudyP; 07-07-2023 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-07-2023, 02:01 PM
LAPorsche3
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

No idea unfortunately. I use Launch CR VII to reset my cars. They have been working well. See if you can find someone local with that tool to reset again. If you're in So Cal in the near future, DM me.
The following users liked this post:
RudyP (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 01:16 AM
JC68
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Same thing happened to me. I was using POR II, switched to CR Max last Dec and this happened. I’ll change my oil in a few months and go back to POR II and see if it stops the reminder from popping up every time.
RudyP (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 01:56 PM
GTSMeister
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Over the years I've come to realize that there's math involved as to when to put up the reminder display. It deals with the slope of the curve as you approach the miles. So, for instance if you have 12K and 1 year to go and then go on a 6k drive over a week or so, the car thinks you will get to 12k in the next month and then puts up the reminder even though it's really 11 months away if you don't put that rate of miles on. In my experience, that display is sticky until the car re-calculates the rate and the time moves out past one month. I would expect the car to reset the calculation when you reset the reminder, however. On Audi's, there is an elaborate reset procedure if you want to keep the reminder off. It involves resetting the time, miles and long-life setting. But if you don't you can just reset the service due flag. For Porsche I use an Autel and just let it do the magic sequence rather than trying to find the individual settings. I would think the iCarsoft unit has a similar hands-off process? Is that what you used?

I've also had the reminder show up for one day after an oil change and disappear after I manually looked at it on the car. Could be a SW defect in there that requires one to navigate to the menu item before things actually reset. Have you done that?
RudyP (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 02:06 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTSMeister
Over the years I've come to realize that there's math involved as to when to put up the reminder display. It deals with the slope of the curve as you approach the miles. So, for instance if you have 12K and 1 year to go and then go on a 6k drive over a week or so, the car thinks you will get to 12k in the next month and then puts up the reminder even though it's really 11 months away if you don't put that rate of miles on. In my experience, that display is sticky until the car re-calculates the rate and the time moves out past one month. I would expect the car to reset the calculation when you reset the reminder, however. On Audi's, there is an elaborate reset procedure if you want to keep the reminder off. It involves resetting the time, miles and long-life setting. But if you don't you can just reset the service due flag. For Porsche I use an Autel and just let it do the magic sequence rather than trying to find the individual settings. I would think the iCarsoft unit has a similar hands-off process? Is that what you used?

I've also had the reminder show up for one day after an oil change and disappear after I manually looked at it on the car. Could be a SW defect in there that requires one to navigate to the menu item before things actually reset. Have you done that?
Interesting.

I did use the iCarsoft unit and followed the directions as best I could - it's a bit confusing because the menu and instructions are a little unclear (translated into English with some quirks) and certain things seem a little off (eg won't do VIN lookup to set vehicle type, it has a 991 setting generally but then a GT3 setting for 997 IIRC so it's not completely foolproof and I may have missed a step or setting or something. But that said the due date and mileage are clearly correct.

I'll play with the menus again next time I drive the car. I did check the oil level a couple times after the oil change which requires going through the oil menu of course but I think I did that before I reset the reminder so definitely worth poking around.
Old 09-23-2023, 09:43 AM
BCgeorgia
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

@RudyP I had a similar issue happen to me when I did my oil change this past week using icarsoft por v3.0. After what I thought was the proper service reset procedure, I still got a service reminder pop-up at car start-up (for me, it was something like "service in 23 days" or something like that)... tho when I went into (set-up -> info), the next service was correctly reset for 1 year (Sep 2024).

However, i think I found the solution. After selecting oil service reset and entering in the 5 input date (YYYY.MM.DD.HH.MM), I initially just stopped the reset procedure after entering in the date assuming the reset was complete (this resulted in the problem I initially described). However, I re-did the procedure and then made sure to choose 1 of the 4 options on the subsequent menu (see attached pic) and the service pop-up went away. I initially chose "intermediate maintenance & oil service," and subsequently re did it choosing just "oil service." Not sure if me choosing intermediate service 1st is what actually did the trick.

I waited 5 days to post this to make sure the pop-up didn't recur.

Perhaps this is the solution to your problem?

Last edited by BCgeorgia; 09-23-2023 at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Issue with oil service reminder reset - iCarsoft V3.0