Old 06-15-2023, 11:25 AM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 328 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Derfe48
About RSC pads
RSC1 : slightly better than OEM, OK for track use but if you track hard you will overheat them and get holes at the surface.
RSC2 : not design to work with our kind of ceramic discs (there is 2 types of ceramic discs)
RSC3 : Better for track use, will handle more heat, has more friction, won't fall apart ;-)

I destroyed some RSC1, now I have RSC3 and so far happy with them.
Next pads are going to be RSL1

RSC3 and RSL1 will wear discs quicker.
You must be very hard on your brakes! The majority of my customers with PCCB or ST discs are running RSC1 for track use and I have not had a single complaint. One customer of mine just smashed the production car lap record at Road America on RSC1s, so they are more than capable on track while offering better feel, modulation, and virtually zero noise and dust compared to OEM pads. Your descriptions of everything else are spot on though.

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
Old 06-16-2023, 06:37 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,585 Likes on 2,604 Posts

I had a look at the brake pads in the car.

Rear pads appear to be OEM and made by Pagid. They're pretty thick and look to be in decent condition,

The front pads are also Pagid (part number 25565 185 G39) but aren't stamped with the Porsche symbol to indicate that they're OEM. The thickness of the pads is decent, but the surface has some cracking and possibly some glazing - maybe they were overheated?

I see that Pagid has three formulations of pads specifically CCB: RSC 1, RSC 2, and RSC 3:

https://www.pagidracing.com/en/produ...amily-rsc.html

Do any of you know whether one of these formulations corresponds to the OEM pads?
Old 06-17-2023, 12:20 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I had a look at the brake pads in the car.

Rear pads appear to be OEM and made by Pagid. They're pretty thick and look to be in decent condition,

The front pads are also Pagid (part number 25565 185 G39) but aren't stamped with the Porsche symbol to indicate that they're OEM. The thickness of the pads is decent, but the surface has some cracking and possibly some glazing - maybe they were overheated?

I see that Pagid has three formulations of pads specifically CCB: RSC 1, RSC 2, and RSC 3:

https://www.pagidracing.com/en/produ...amily-rsc.html

Do any of you know whether one of these formulations corresponds to the OEM pads?
I think the OEM brakes are slightly different than RSC 1.

I too thought the bite of my PCCB's that I bought take off, were not as good as my steels. I have new OEM pads and the rotors are in good shape except for what seems to be a small layer of pad deposits that is slowly wearing away. My guess for what is going on with the 'bite' you mention and what I have is that the PCCB's were tracked a few times with non-OEM pads, the rotors have some pad material on the surface, which then effects the bite with new OEM pads. Now, bedding in the pads should clear that up quickly, but if you read up on the bedding in procedure for PCCB's it is quite intense, and while I have tried it, I always run out of road to do it safely. Just my .02, try the bedding in process and see if it doesn't help.

In my case the bite has returned to close to what I felt with steels, but not high bite that I have and had with other ceramics like those on my C7 Corvette, and now with my Audi RS6 (which are massively large, LOL!!). Surprisingly the bedding in process caused quite a bit of brake dust, but now that is abating too as the wear in.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 03:23 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

I tracked a ton with my RS and PCCBs. Stock pads were the best for my needs. They lasted about 12K-15K miles before I replaced (with OEM again). Yes, the PCCBs will make all kinds of noise (scraping, crunching) right after a car wash. But that goes away in about 5 minutes with some heavy braking. You need pad material transfer to the rotor surface and once that happens, they bite hard and are super quiet. If you look at the PCCB rotor and they are shiny and clean like a mirror, that's BAD. After a heavy driving session where you are really laying into them (as you should), the surface will be cloudy with some hazy white material from the pads transferred onto their surface. THIS IS GOOD. The PCCBs will bite quicker, wear slower, and be noise free. Any time you wash the car, this material gets washed off and your rotors will squeak and crunch and it will sound horrible. Just gotta brake hard a few times and it'll go away.

As far as pedal travel goes, that's all in how thick the pads are and break fluid age. As the pads and fluid wear, it requires more pedal travel, which is normal.

It's also possible there's a pebble or other debris stuck to the pad, causing noise. I would simply drive the crap out of the car for two hours on some back roads and see what happens. You need to be actually driving the car, not just putzing around town.

As far as which OEM pads, Porsche made a change recently to adhere to new guidelines for copper content. The older pads are better. Newer pads (used on 992) aren't as good. There are many threads about this.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 06-17-2023 at 03:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by FourT6and2:
Manifold (06-17-2023), Mavzyx (07-06-2023), Thrownaway (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 04:53 PM
Thrownaway
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

@FourT6and2

Did you get your PCCB measured with the carbotech tool before replacement? What were the reading that prompted you to replace?

Last edited by Thrownaway; 06-17-2023 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-17-2023, 05:40 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Thrownaway
@FourT6and2

Did you get your PCCB measured with the carbotech tool before replacement? What were the reading that prompted you to replace?
I didn't replace the rotors. I'm talking about pads. My rotors were still good.
Old 06-18-2023, 12:06 AM
goofdunk
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

991.2 vehicles with PCCB do not have a wear mark indicator embedded in the rotor anymore. The only way to get an accurate reading regarding the condition of the rotors is by going to the dealer and getting a reading via the carboteq tool.
Old 06-18-2023, 12:31 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofdunk
991.2 vehicles with PCCB do not have a wear mark indicator embedded in the rotor anymore. The only way to get an accurate reading regarding the condition of the rotors is by going to the dealer and getting a reading via the carboteq tool.
Could you provide a source for this?

I thought the wear indicator is for surface wear, whereas the Carboteq tool measures the carbon content in the rotor. My understanding is that, as the rotor loses carbon due to oxidation (from heat), it becomes structurally weaker, but the braking performance shouldn't change as the carbon content decreases (assuming the rotor doesn't fail due to fracture).
Old 06-18-2023, 09:45 AM
Thrownaway
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 06-18-2023, 12:22 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

The only thing missing from that video is that the rotors need to be off the car for the most accurate measurement.
Old 06-18-2023, 12:29 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
The only thing missing from that video is that the rotors need to be off the car for the most accurate measurement.
Why do they need to be off the car? I would think that the measuring device is shooting signals from a transmitter to a receiver, both near the edge of the rotor.
Old 06-18-2023, 12:41 PM
Derfe48
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Why do they need to be off the car? I would think that the measuring device is shooting signals from a transmitter to a receiver, both near the edge of the rotor.
I have read that if you let the disc on the car there can be interferences between the car and the tool to measure. For example : at the rear it would be to close to a certain metallic heat shield (or whatsoever...) and the reading could be wrong.

(sorry if my english is not perfect, I am french)
Old 06-18-2023, 02:07 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Other metal surfaces and external electromagnetic fields can interfere with the reading. The literature that comes with the tool even states it, however most shops (dealers) who have the tool don't bother because hey... it's a business and they don't want to have to disassemble the calipers/rotor/etc. There's a good thread here somewhere where someone compared readings on/off the car too. Big difference.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 06-18-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Manifold (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 02:08 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Other metal surfaces and external electromagnetic fields can interfere with the reading. The literature that comes with the tool even states it.
Strange that their promotional video shows it being used with the rotors not being removed.
Old 06-18-2023, 02:10 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Strange that their promotional video shows it being used with the rotors not being removed.
It's called marketing. That video is 7 years old. When you purchase one of these tools, there's a piece of paper inside that has updated the procedure. Says something like for most accurate and consistent results, rotors should be removed from vehicle and measured on a non-metallic surface. Some techs will remove the rotor but place them on their metal work bench, defeating the purpose...

Last edited by FourT6and2; 06-18-2023 at 02:14 PM.
Manifold (06-18-2023)

Quick Reply: Brake feel of 991.2 GT3 RS with PCCB