Sponsored by:

Noob question on torquing center locks and Molub grease

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2023 | 07:27 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Noob question on torquing center locks and Molub grease

I completely disassembled my center lock nuts today following the detailed instructions posted on here in a different thread. I have two questions. I applied a small amount of molub paste to the seating area on the wheel itself and also to the threads on the hub. Was that correct? or was the paste on the center lock nut supposed to be enough for the wheel and hub?

I torqued to 600 NM and backed off 90 degrees when backing off the 90 degrees the nut was loose enough I could probably turn by hand. Does that seem correct? I bought the Precision instruments torque wrench, but I feel like the 600nm was not as tight as I thought and the little *** on the wrench to select torque is not very confidence inspiring. I know it took a lot more force to break the nut free when I first removed the wheel than when I was backing off the 90deg.
Old 06-04-2023 | 08:30 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,171 Likes on 2,916 Posts

Originally Posted by NHmacan
I completely disassembled my center lock nuts today following the detailed instructions posted on here in a different thread. I have two questions. I applied a small amount of molub paste to the seating area on the wheel itself and also to the threads on the hub. Was that correct? or was the paste on the center lock nut supposed to be enough for the wheel and hub?

I torqued to 600 NM and backed off 90 degrees when backing off the 90 degrees the nut was loose enough I could probably turn by hand. Does that seem correct? I bought the Precision instruments torque wrench, but I feel like the 600nm was not as tight as I thought and the little *** on the wrench to select torque is not very confidence inspiring. I know it took a lot more force to break the nut free when I first removed the wheel than when I was backing off the 90deg.
All sounds fine to me.
Old 06-05-2023 | 11:02 PM
RENNtorq
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 53 Posts

Greasing the threads on both the nut and hub is recommended.

I'm located in central NH, if you wanted to drop by the shop I can double check it for you. Make sure that your lock pin is fully out (flush) before you drive the car.

John
The following users liked this post:
GrantG (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023 | 12:44 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by RENNtorq
Greasing the threads on both the nut and hub is recommended.

I'm located in central NH, if you wanted to drop by the shop I can double check it for you. Make sure that your lock pin is fully out (flush) before you drive the car.

John
I may take you up on that offer. Thank you.