Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pad options for PFC brakes/calipers (ZR95)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 12:50 AM
MaxTheNomad
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
The adhesive damper plates are OEM Porsche parts available from many online sources. Use the part numbers shown in the image I posted. The adhesive method is still being use in brand new cars today, the only difference is the OEM realized years ago that production cost is reduced by putting the adhesive directly on the backing plate.

I never trust those 3rd party message service apps, not even in my personal life. Sorry you don’t get through. The general shop email address and telephone number are shown in contact page for product info.
Thank you very much again for your info. I think this is probably the best option without buying another pair of pads. I will get myself a set of these as per number you mentioned.
Old 06-07-2023, 06:21 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 324 Likes on 197 Posts

Great info as always from Tom. Just wanted to add that while the OP has the wider Race Calipers (ZR95 R - 95.405.290.365.11/12), PFC is working on a solution for customers with Sport Calipers for the street. They will have a street-based compound and the backing plates will feature the spring clips to help reduce noise. As Tom pointed out, the Pistons are different so the "R" calipers pistons will not work with these pads, only Sport calipers. They are also playing around with pad chamfers. We are likely still several months out on this, however. You have extremely stiff calipers and very hard discs, so it's difficult to keep NVH in check. Part of the price you pay for a thoroughbred race kit...

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
Old 06-08-2023, 06:25 AM
MaxTheNomad
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hinz Motorsport
Great info as always from Tom. Just wanted to add that while the OP has the wider Race Calipers (ZR95 R - 95.405.290.365.11/12), PFC is working on a solution for customers with Sport Calipers for the street. They will have a street-based compound and the backing plates will feature the spring clips to help reduce noise. As Tom pointed out, the Pistons are different so the "R" calipers pistons will not work with these pads, only Sport calipers. They are also playing around with pad chamfers. We are likely still several months out on this, however. You have extremely stiff calipers and very hard discs, so it's difficult to keep NVH in check. Part of the price you pay for a thoroughbred race kit...
Thank you for the good news Rick. I see that Tom mentioned removal of the piston cap (venting cylinders) are possible on ZR95 R but not on ZR95 S. May I ask what else difference there is to make ZR95 R incompatible to the coming street pads? I thought they are only different in outer dimension (Wider R and narrower S) with the same pistons.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:43 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 962 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxTheNomad
I see that Tom mentioned removal of the piston cap (venting cylinders) are possible on ZR95 R but not on ZR95 S.
I just wanted to clarify that while removal of the piston cap from the piston is possible for the purpose of modular design and for serviceability, the calipers are not intended to be used without the caps! Its one of those situation where just because is possible, it doesn't mean you should do it, like running an engine with no air filter, yes its possible but results can be harmful. Disclaimer: Don't do it just because of a mention. And the caps are very difficult to remove because there's a spring loaded locking mechanism in there designed to withstand(and have proven) harsh motorsport operating environment.

The R caliper is wider, the R caliper is so wide they won't clear stock street car wheels. The wider R caliper has deeper bores that houses taller height pistons, the deeper height pistons also have the same modular design intended for use with piston caps. The likely reason why there won't be a tension clip available for R calipers, in my opinion, is because the tension clip would have to be designed to match the specific travel distance of the of the deeper bores/taller pistons/thicker pads. This effort would be solely to make a full-on motorsport brake caliper quieter for street driving and defeat the zero drag motorsport design.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 06-08-2023 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:19 PM
MaxTheNomad
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
I just wanted to clarify that while removal of the piston cap from the piston is possible for the purpose of modular design and for serviceability, the calipers are not intended to be used without the caps! Its one of those situation where just because is possible, it doesn't mean you should do it, like running an engine with no air filter, yes its possible but results can be harmful. Disclaimer: Don't do it just because of a mention. And the caps are very difficult to remove because there's a spring loaded locking mechanism in there designed to withstand(and have proven) harsh motorsport operating environment.

The R caliper is wider, the R caliper is so wide they won't clear stock street car wheels. The wider R caliper has deeper bores that houses taller height pistons, the deeper height pistons also have the same modular design intended for use with piston caps. The likely reason why there won't be a tension clip available for R calipers, in my opinion, is because the tension clip would have to be designed to match the specific travel distance of the of the deeper bores/taller pistons/thicker pads. This effort would be solely to make a full-on motorsport brake caliper quieter for street driving and defeat the zero drag motorsport design.
Thank you for the clarification Tom. The same advice was given by PFC officials that calipers should not work without the insullator and the venting cylinders which may cause overheating and subsequent issues. This is also why I'm looking to buy a set of insultator and venting cylinders for a proper assembly instead of using thicker pads directly. Thank you again for your information and detailed guidance.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:53 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 730 Posts

I've had good luck with CRC Disc Brake Quiet on squeaky pads, as a quick and dirty method. Just smear some on the back of the pad, and it turns into an RTV-like substance that helps it stick to the pistons. It's an inelegant version of the solution @Tom@TPC Racing proposes. Those OEM adhesive pucks are very cool.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 06-08-2023 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:35 AM
MaxTheNomad
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
I've had good luck with CRC Disc Brake Quiet on squeaky pads, as a quick and dirty method. Just smear some on the back of the pad, and it turns into an RTV-like substance that helps it stick to the pistons. It's an inelegant version of the solution @Tom@TPC Racing proposes. Those OEM adhesive pucks are very cool.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05016-Sin...000CINV88?th=1
Appreciate the option Adam. Have you found them difficult to remove thoroughly? I'm slighly worried about them getting to sticky and hard to remove from the pistons
Old 06-09-2023, 09:51 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxTheNomad
Appreciate the option Adam. Have you found them difficult to remove thoroughly? I'm slighly worried about them getting to sticky and hard to remove from the pistons
No, it peels right off with your finger nail or whatever, it dries into a pliable rubber. It’s not sticky or anything.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:55 AM
MaxTheNomad
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
No, it peels right off with your finger nail or whatever, it dries into a pliable rubber. It’s not sticky or anything.
Sounds good as well. I think I will have a go with this before those pad damper arrives

Quick Reply: Pad options for PFC brakes/calipers (ZR95)?