Sponsored by:

Gt3RS engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 08:07 AM
roman1199
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Gt3RS engine failure

I purchased a 2016 GT3RS from a member here who is also a dealer 2 months ago. Last week took it out for a drive parked it in the garage, come Sunday it didn’t start. I have had it towed to my local Porsche dealer to find out yesterday that the cylinder numbers 5-6 have zero compression. Have you guys heard of this happening ?

I will post a write up of the particular member and his dealer franchise and the other discoveries I have made since the purchase.

Old 03-30-2023, 09:45 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by roman1199
I have had it towed to my local Porsche dealer to find out yesterday that the cylinder numbers 5-6 have zero compression. Have you guys heard of this happening ?
Sorry to hear. Some of the possible causes for two adjacent cylinders having low compression can be a blown head gasket, warped or cracked cylinder head, bent valves, timing chain, and other valve-train components that keeps the valve ports stuck open. Worst possible scenario is having holes in the pistons but it's highly unlikely on an NA engine. None of the above are widely known issues on the RS. Especially when there's absolutely zero compression. For zero compression pressure the unintended opening(s) has to be big enough to not hold any amount of pressure for any short duration of time. If I was in this situation I would do a cylinder leakdown test. A cylinder leakdown test will narrow down where the pressurized air is leaking to(whether its the crankcase, intake, exhaust, or adjacent cylinder) to determine which engine component(s) failed.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

The following users liked this post:
LZRD GRN (03-30-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 11:33 AM
roman1199
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
Sorry to hear. Some of the possible causes for two adjacent cylinders having low compression can be a blown head gasket, warped or cracked cylinder head, bent valves, timing chain, and other valve-train components that keeps the valve ports stuck open. Worst possible scenario is having holes in the pistons but it's highly unlikely on an NA engine. None of the above are widely known issues on the RS. Especially when there's absolutely zero compression. For zero compression pressure the unintended opening(s) has to be big enough to not hold any amount of pressure for any short duration of time. If I was in this situation I would do a cylinder leakdown test. A cylinder leakdown test will narrow down where the pressurized air is leaking to(whether its the crankcase, intake, exhaust, or adjacent cylinder) to determine which engine component(s) failed.

got an update, all the other cylinder compressions are super low as well. I called the seller yesterday to tell him the issues and was basically told to repair and sell the car and if I liked we can go to court. Prior to all of this the GT3 was represented at clean with no issues. Since taking delivery I discovered that the car had all suspension components replaced on the driver side front, the carbon fiber hood is cracked, 9mm rounds used rounds were found, factory headers were damaged and gutted, rear brakes had to be recalibrated and re wired, gps tracker was discovered, wiring harness was discovered running along the driver and passenger side where the factory side skirts bolt in, all 4 wheels had to be rebalanced and re torqued. It’s been a nightmare to say the least. Im sure there will be more issues to come. I am seeking legal advice at the moment, I would not purchase any vehicles from this particular member as he did sell a car that was misrepresented.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:39 AM
roman1199
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1326652

original post on the car
The following 2 users liked this post by roman1199:
CAA (04-07-2023), justint5387 (03-30-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 11:48 AM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 154 Posts

Did you get a PPI done at an independent garage or Porsche dealer? I assume it wasn't CPO and didn't come with a warranty?
Old 03-30-2023, 12:01 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 165 Posts

Terrible... sellers who operate like this are just terrible. Sorry, hate stories like this.
Old 03-30-2023, 12:18 PM
roman1199
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brainofjjj
Did you get a PPI done at an independent garage or Porsche dealer? I assume it wasn't CPO and didn't come with a warranty?

I spoke with the shop that did the inspection and was told the car was sound and ready to go. I also spoke with the seller as I am a dealer as well and told him several times “tell me what’s wrong with the car” not the good and other then the normal rock chips there was nothing wrong according to the seller. To his defense the paint is in great condition minus the normal rock chips, it was corrected and has a full PPF. It pictures well but again misrepresented. When i mentioned the attorney route I was told that he has “heavy hitting attorneys in the state of Mississippi” which I then informed him that I was from NY and I’m more then sure my attoney will be much stronger. Prob not the best way to conduct Buisness but I will not let the seller bully me either.
The following 2 users liked this post by roman1199:
RyanSD (04-06-2023), thebishman (04-01-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 12:31 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Don't take offense to this but the guys are barely a dealer, they have one car for sale. No google reviews and 14 pics on their IG page. To call them a dealer is a stretch.
Again, with no warranty in place i don't think you have a case.
Old 03-30-2023, 12:49 PM
DDE997
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

This happens for sure. The car had 34 k miles, and all cylinders low on compression, most likely indicates the engines is worn out. These engines are high strung, not a Honda or every day car. See if porsche will cover the engine for the 10 years warranty they offer.
Old 03-30-2023, 01:00 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Yeah check and see what your Porsche dealer will cover but don't expect miracles given the mileage.

Again, no offense but some due diligence on your part might have been smart. I mean here's the street view for this "dealer"

The following 2 users liked this post by Brainofjjj:
kaylie (04-07-2023), Tupper (04-03-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 01:00 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,507 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by DDE997
This happens for sure. The car had 34 k miles, and all cylinders low on compression, most likely indicates the engines is worn out. These engines are high strung, not a Honda or every day car. See if porsche will cover the engine for the 10 years warranty they offer.
It's surprising because I know multiple 3RS's here in SoCal with 40k+ miles and no issues.
Old 03-30-2023, 01:14 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Yeah mileage isn't nearly as important as maintenance and how the car was treated. I'd have no problem buying a high mileage car with records and an oil sample report. Again, doesn't sound like this car had records.
Old 03-30-2023, 03:02 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

^^ Yep. Mileage is just one factor. The "throttle load" of the mileage is equally important. Unfortunately there isn't an accurate way to determine throttle load for a street car purchase.
Low throttle load = Normal highway cruising and normal daily commuting. Most engines go 100K miles with very little wear for low throttle load driving.
High throttle load = Running up to max rpm at full throttle every chance possible on street or track. Its like dog years for miles. For example, a 991.2 Cup 4.0L engine at 8xxx miles(13xxx km) will need a rebuild.
The following users liked this post:
991C2S88 (07-19-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 03:24 PM
marcus1982
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Sorry to read this.
I cannot imagine what went wrong with the engine while sitting in the garage to have low compression on all cylinders and prior to this all was fine. I assume it was running fine, as you wouldnt have bought it. If the timing would be belt driven I imagine it would have to skip a tooth or two to the point were the valves not close fully till TDC is reached, even so that would mean to skip on both banks at the same time since there are 2 chains and you said all cylinders are low on compression. Being chain driven it is highly unlikely.
I don't know if phisically is possible that due to ecu error the variable timing to be so out of whack that it actually produces this, maybe others know. I am curious to what happened and hope it is not a costly issue.
A quick thing to do is to scope the cylinders with a camera.
also, an engine that has no compression had a abnormal sound when you crank it.
Old 03-30-2023, 03:28 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 210 Posts

That really sucks but you also drove it for 2 months and it has 34k miles on it and it sounds like you didn't get a PPI with compression test done, so who is really at fault here? Unless you can prove the seller knew the car was damaged you're fighting an uphill battle, and even if they did know that, winning enough money in court to make it worth paying a lawyer to fight for it is probably a wash at best. I'm sure the car was sold as is with no warranty express or implied, unless he's a licensed dealer and the state requires a limited warranty for more than the timeframe you've owned the car.

Whatever happens, good luck and I hope you're able to get it back on the road. This is my worst fear buying a car like this without a warranty.

Quick Reply: Gt3RS engine failure