Sponsored by:

Jacking up GT3 while on 4 Post Lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 03:00 PM
dapopa9
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Jacking up GT3 while on 4 Post Lift

I’m looking at possibly installing a 4 post lift but was wondering can you easily jack the car up using a basic bottle jack placed on one of the sliding jack trays? I wasn’t sure if there is enough clearance to get the bottle jack in there and jack the car up?

Or is it necessary to purchase one of those sliding bridge jacks? (I would prefer to not have to use one of these)
Old 01-11-2023, 08:42 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 751 Posts

My GT3 is on my 4 post lift right now...

I have 2 of the sliding bridge jacks on mine - so obviously that is what I use.

I don't think that would work, as the lift points are where the tracks are - so with the sliding bridge jacks the arms extend out between the car and the track -to adjust to the lift point and then you jack up the car once positioned on either side of the car.

The sliding tray is on the inside of the tracks - so you couldn't get a bottle jack under the lift points (as they are under the car and just above the tracks..

If you use something other than the lift points on the car - you could but would need to be something on the frame of the car.

PS. The 4 post and bridge jack from my auto DYI perspective - is the best investment I have ever made. So if you have a 4 post, get the bridge jack. The damn jack is nearly as expensive as the lift, but well worth it...

Here is a pic of my touring on the lift - You can visualize the lift point is just behind the front tire and in front of the rear - the jack point would be about 1/2 way of the width of the track, so thus when you use the bridge jack, the lift arms move in and out to position them where the lift points are.

I can take a pic with it up and jack positioned if you desire.

The following users liked this post:
dapopa9 (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 02:29 PM
GT3_Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Would a QuickJack Work?

https://www.quickjack.com/
Old 01-11-2023, 05:51 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3_Driver
Would a QuickJack Work?

https://www.quickjack.com/
It might but could be to high to get under the car.

Of course for the price, you are within a few hundred of just getting a bridge lift for the 4 post. Also I prefer when using a 4 post (unless absolutely needed) - for tire and other, I like only one axle being off the track at one time. It might be ok to do, but I am extra cautious and would not be with quick jacks on the tracks and both sides of the car up in the air, I would be nervous.
Old 01-11-2023, 06:31 PM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
It might but could be to high to get under the car.

Of course for the price, you are within a few hundred of just getting a bridge lift for the 4 post. Also I prefer when using a 4 post (unless absolutely needed) - for tire and other, I like only one axle being off the track at one time. It might be ok to do, but I am extra cautious and would not be with quick jacks on the tracks and both sides of the car up in the air, I would be nervous.
Have you lowered your car a ton?
Old 01-11-2023, 06:53 PM
dapopa9
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
My GT3 is on my 4 post lift right now...

I have 2 of the sliding bridge jacks on mine - so obviously that is what I use.

I don't think that would work, as the lift points are where the tracks are - so with the sliding bridge jacks the arms extend out between the car and the track -to adjust to the lift point and then you jack up the car once positioned on either side of the car.

The sliding tray is on the inside of the tracks - so you couldn't get a bottle jack under the lift points (as they are under the car and just above the tracks..

If you use something other than the lift points on the car - you could but would need to be something on the frame of the car.
Which model lift and which bridge jack do you have? Any issues with bridge jack arms lining up with the factory jack points or clearance issues getting the arms under the car?
Old 01-11-2023, 11:21 PM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 248 Posts

I was going to get a 4 post with sliding jacks but Bendpak said a 996TT engine + gearbox couldn't be dropped between the rails. So I went 4 post for stacked storage and separate 2 post asymmetrical for wrenching. Both rock. DIY'd the install of both with a buddy. No one died.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:39 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dapopa9
Which model lift and which bridge jack do you have? Any issues with bridge jack arms lining up with the factory jack points or clearance issues getting the arms under the car?
I have an Atlas Apex 8 lift and standard Atlas RJ-35 bridge jack ($1800 extra). No issue at all for my Porsches, McLaren, or other cars lining it up to the jack points. Really quick and easy,,,

I choose atlas as that is what a local dealer sells, and I did not want to set it up myself, as would be a pain in the neck, and not many other dealers in my area. But it is sturdy and works great, have had it 4 years or so, no issues - outside of normal maintenance.

Link to and atlas fact site : https://atlasautoequipment.ca/4-post...s-accessories/

If I had a bedpack installer in my area, I would likely have gone that route but have been happy with the one I got and price was great overall.
The following users liked this post:
cavlino (01-15-2023)

Quick Reply: Jacking up GT3 while on 4 Post Lift