Help - 991 GT3 Exhaust Valve Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 11:13 AM
moveyourcar
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - 991 GT3 Exhaust Valve Question

Hi,
First off, please forgive me. I know this topic has been discussed over and over again on here but after searching for quite some time I was unable to get an answer.

Could someone please explain to me what the Sharwerks "Loud Mode" kit is and what it does to to the exhaust valves to allow full opening of the side mufflers' sport valves, eliminating the loud-quiet-loud transition on acceleration from low speeds?

The reason I ask, I just recently had my GT3 in at the dealer for an issue with the parking break controller. They ended up replacing the battery and the controller and reprogramming the car. Since getting the car back my exhaust (with Sharkerks Sport Exhaust) has gone back to the normal PSE function where it opens the valves at idle and then closes them when driving away. I am confused on how the exhaust changed from being loud when the PSE button is on to now quiet/loud/quiet. Prior to the service, when I hit the PSE button, there would be a very notable change in the exhaust note making it quite loud from startup to low RPM and then into higher RPM over 4k.

Can anyone help to shed some light on this to explain what has happened and how I am able to get back to the loud exhaust note with the functionality of the PSE? Did something happen when the car was updated and reprogrammed that would have changed something with the Sharkwerks?

Last edited by moveyourcar; 11-23-2022 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:32 AM
NA6speed
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by moveyourcar
Hi,
First off, please forgive me. I know this topic has been discussed over and over again on here but after searching for quite some time I was unable to get an answer.

Could someone please explain to me what the Sharwerks "Loud Mode" kit is and what it does to to the exhaust valves to allow full opening of the side mufflers' sport valves, eliminating the loud-quiet-loud transition on acceleration from low speeds?

The reason I ask, I just recently had my GT3 in at the dealer for an issue with the parking break controller. They ended up replacing the battery and the controller and reprogramming the car. Since getting the car back my exhaust (with Sharkerks Sport Exhaust) has gone back to the normal PSE function where it opens the valves at idle and then closes them when driving away. I am confused on how the exhaust changed from being loud when the PSE button is on to now quiet/loud/quiet. Prior to the service, when I hit the PSE button, there would be a very notable change in the exhaust note making it quite loud from startup to low RPM and then into higher RPM over 4k.

Can anyone help to shed some light on this to explain what has happened and how I am able to get back to the loud exhaust note with the functionality of the PSE? Did something happen when the car was updated and reprogrammed that would have changed something with the Sharkwerks?
Nevermind, I had to delete my original reply
I wasn't shown the complete question.
Most of your post was blacked out for me so i didn't catch the full reason for your question. Happens to me a lot lately, when using rennlist dark mode.

Last edited by NA6speed; 11-23-2022 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:42 AM
moveyourcar
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I saw the thread you originally posted @NA6speed but it does not fully answer my question. My assumption is that after the car was reprogrammed with the new battery one of the exhaust valves stopped working or is hung up.

From what I can tell, the loud mode kit is some sort of hardware that keeps valves open all the time when the PSE is on.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:45 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

You need someone to reprogram the button so it is a simple on/off button meaning when the button is on the valves are always open and when it is off they are always closed. I don’t think Sharkwerks does this themselves but if you call or email them they can tell you. I think there is also a way to simply disconnect the vacuum lines and plug them and that will always leave the valves open. The button will not control anything.

From the factory PSE button only controls the valves from idle to 3K RPM. When off the valves stay closed from idle to 4K then they automatically open. When the PSE is on it opens the valves from idle to 3k then they automatically close from 3-4K and open again. This is to eliminate drone. Especially at highway speeds as that is where the rpm sits when cruising on the highway.

Last edited by NHmacan; 11-23-2022 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:13 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,477 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Sharkwerks “loud kit” is 2 machine screws for the vacuum lines and a couple of rubber caps for the exhaust valve nipple. Installing this bypasses the valve completely and the button doesn’t do anything.

The exhaust valves are two small silver cans with hard lines. When the loudness kit is installed, the lines are disconnected.

So the tech would have to physically reconnect these lines to reverse it.

Pic stolen from google

Quick Reply: Help - 991 GT3 Exhaust Valve Question