Sponsored by:

Who's been tracking my GT3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 07:58 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Obtain a DME report

Diagnositics Motor Electronics, or something like that, will tell if there are any over-revs and then amount/level of them.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:56 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Matrog
Diagnositics Motor Electronics, or something like that, will tell if there are any over-revs and then amount/level of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKgOAWMjZLQ
PDK…
Old 09-29-2022, 10:33 PM
Phattymcgee
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts

Personally I am more in tune with number owners than track days. I don’t mind if the car has 5,000 track miles if it has one owner. Generally one owner on a 3 year old car is probably going to take better care of it than 3 owners over 3 years. I know it’s a dumb argument but it seems to make me feel better.

I mean would you rather date a chick that has had one sausage a bunch of times for 3 years or a chick that been mowing down multiple sausages over 3 years? Same concept on my brain!
Old 09-30-2022, 06:59 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Good point

Originally Posted by BryanCO
PDK…
Good point
Old 09-30-2022, 08:25 PM
Doug N
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Think of it this way. If your going to take your life in your hands driving at high speed on a track, you are going to make sure that the car is in absolutely perfect shape. Anything that even thinks about being worn is replaced, and maintenance is never skimped on. Compare that to a car that only goes to cars and coffee. I would submit that buying a tracked car is the better option when it’s a Porsche GT car designed to be driven on the track.
Old 10-01-2022, 06:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Sold my 991.1 GT3RS with 40K miles and my 991.2RS with 20K miles. At least half that are track miles.

Neither had any break in mikes, both went from the factory to the Ring, as I did with our Macan in 2015 (Sold 50K miles no problems), again with our 2022 Macan GTS but that only has 4K miles so far.
I do heat up and cool down the cars properly.

Neither car ever went to the dealer for anything besides maintenance.
If you worry less, you live longer.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 10-01-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:01 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Buy it if you like it. Its a hammer. Who cares how many nails it has pounded. And it it is going to be a garage queen you have no worries.
Track is not abuse, just driving as it was intended to be driven.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:05 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Rear tow hook socket is behind the license plate on US models. I drilled a hole through my plate dead center, tow hook through that.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:16 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,511 Likes on 814 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by valvet
Hey,

I'm in a bit of a frustrating situation, it's all mind games. I have the option of purchasing a 2019 991.2 GT3 RS in a spec that is all I could wish for, however, I can tell that the previous owner has tracked the car. Porsche is willing to do a 111 inspection, as well as "Porsche Approve" (CPO?).

The tracking suspicion comes from:
  • The car has 7500km (~4660 miles) driven, and had tires changed the past month
  • The plastic cover next to rear license plate for the tow hook is missing
  • The alcantara steering wheel looks a bit rough, and the yellow 12-clock marker has black fading
  • Porsche says they know the guy and he tracks his cars?
Options:
003 CLUBSPORT PACKAGE
082 Extended Range Fuel Tank, 23.7 gal
450 Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB)
454 CRUISE CONTROL
474 Front Axle Lift System
555 Seat Belts in Black
583 Smoking Package
630 Light Design Package
7X9 REVERSING CAMERA
810 Floor Mats
9VL BOSE® Surround Sound System
CLN Seat Belt Outlet Trims in Alcantara®
CLP Door Trim Package in Leather/Alcantara®
CSX Window Triangle Trim in Carbon Fiber
CZW Dashboard Trim Package in Leather
P13 Auto-Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor
P70 Weissach package
QR5 Chrono Package with Preparation for Lap Trigger
QV3 DIGITAL RADIO RECEPTION (DAB)
XDH Wheels Painted in Satin Platinum
XEY LED Headlights in Black with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
XLG Storage Compartment Lid in Alcantara® with "PORSCHE" Logo
XLU Sun Visors in Alcantara®
XNS Steering Column Casing in Leather
XPS PRIVACY LIGHTWEIGHT GLASS
XXD Door-Sill Guards in Carbon Fiber, Illuminated

Any advice, reassurance, "stay away" or similar on how I should deal with deciding whether or not this particular car is a good purchase? I'm not entirely trusting of Porsche's 111 inspection by itself. Price cannot really be a discussion, as in Denmark we pay MSRP + about 180% (inkl. tax) for our cars. This car would cost about $476.000 converted. I've edited the text a little, due to the screaming sarcasm in some of the replies; still appreciate your feedback tho ;-)

Thanks!
Originally Posted by valvet
Hey,

I'm in a bit of a frustrating situation, it's all mind games. I have the option of purchasing a 2019 991.2 GT3 RS in a spec that is all I could wish for, however, I can tell that the previous owner has tracked the car.
Seriously? I would be concerned if the prior owner didn't track it. You do realize these cars are made to be tracked? If you aren't planning on tracking an RS then you shouldn't be buying one. A bare Carrera will likely better suit you.... unless you are just trying to impress people at cars and coffee.....
Old 10-03-2022, 05:57 PM
CHALKGT2RS
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you test driven this car? Does it have brake fade? if yes, then it has probably been tracked religiously unless the brake pads were changed....since you have PCCB its easy to figure out!
Old 10-04-2022, 05:24 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

Its a very valid question despite you getting some of the usual replies. Everyone can be flip when its not their $476K they're spending. I don't blame you for asking - that's a lot of money. All of us if given the chance would prefer a brand new RS that hasn't been tracked vs a used RS that has been tracked with 4000+ track miles. But of course many people buy this car to track so many second hand cars that are for sale are well maintained and have been tracked. It shouldn't be a problem but for that money I'd make sure you get a comprehensive / detailed PPI. Is their a big price delta vs new. If it were less than $100K - I'd go new.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:26 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts

It was me OP, and a few of my buddies. Only a few times, trust
Old 10-05-2022, 01:12 AM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

You mention 4000 miles but unless the car was never driven on the street and only trailered to the track, its doubtful that those are all track miles.
I track my GT3 a ton. I take care of the maintenance and do a lot myself but fancy stuff I leave to a mechanic.
I've heard an old adage - 1 track mile == 10 street miles and in certain areas thats probably true.
Mostly you are talking consumables.
- brake pads, rotors
- tires
- plugs (I just followed the manual and changed after 2 years)
Then then the normal stuff like air filter, cabin air filter, etc. that, unless the car was rallied is not going to make much difference.
I don't know if the car has 6 point harness and harness bar but mine does (aftermarket - in the US you can't even get an RS with harness bar).

I do think there is something to be said about someone maintaining a track car but even there its going to vary by the individual.

I realize tracking a car isn't for everyone and yes it probably does put more stress on the motor but these cars are made for it.

I have no idea if that price is good but if you like the spec and color and can't find another or don't want to wait, I'd say go for it.

To the poster that suggests specing a 992 GT3 RS - thats going to cost a LOT more - even in Denmark I'm sure. In the US, dealers are getting $150K ADM for allocations and that is assuming you are even allowed to buy it so I think used is the way to go if you want to join the club.

A friend bought a car from someone that was similar but the guy had all these "go fast" bits that *someone* told him to add yet he had no idea what was really on it. A very loud exhaust, very aggressive suspension changes, etc. If this car doesn't have all that, then you can decide if you want any of that and how to customize it. Check the camber and alignment and if you are going to track it get more negative camber than stock. There are tons of other things to do for the track but if the car was pristine otherwise, then you at least have a good street car that can go on the track to start with.

Quick Reply: Who's been tracking my GT3RS?