Sponsored by:

991.2 Touring - Pull reduced over 6700rpm

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2022 | 08:35 PM
Ascetic
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NA6speed
@Ascetic Any long term and demanding track day experiences with these DDUNDON intake parts? See my last post...
I just put them on, so no. Where'd you here about issues with them? Link?
I can't find your question and their response on their site.
Old 11-22-2022 | 01:21 AM
Bx Tpr
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I had forgotten to write a follow up in this.
We found the issue and it was what you and I suspected, only that mine was broken, and not just disconnected.
For everyone who is interested in what it looks like and what it does:

How is the Dundon plenum holding up to so far?
I am also interested about their plenum, but I was told by a company who has quite some experience with Porsche engines (and who also knows this Dundon part), that this Dundon plenum might not be a very good idea if you track your car hard, particularly on tracks with long straights (e.g Döttinger Höhe with almost a minute of full send).
Now what one can clearly see is that the Dundon plenum is a 3D printed piece. I have asked Dundon about the material they use and they say that it is PA12 Nylon and that this was the same material as the original plenum. You can see my question and their answer on the Dundon website.
I have strong reasons to doubt their reply, because when I received back my orginal defective plenum, this surely did not look like PA12. When trying to find out more, I found a clue, which suggests, that the original material on my plenum is PA6-GF30.
These two materials do have quite some significantly different thermal properties - including melting points - and I am just wondering why I am getting information from Dundon, which does not seem to really match to my own findings.
Ran the dundon plenum for over 20,000 miles and if I had to do it over again, I wouldn’t. It’s 100% a different plastic than OEM. The internals of the Dundon plenum are the same as oem and the only reason you need it is so you can run their larger throttle body. After 20k miles the gaskets on both sides of the plenum had started leaking oil from the pcv system ingesting oil back into the intake. It had turned the engine bay into an oily mess. Also, it won’t fix the internal flap actuator problem. Mine had come loose like a few others on here. I just ordered a new center plenum and put my oem parts back on. Outside of some drop in filters, I won’t be touching the top end of this engine again.
Old 11-22-2022 | 04:48 AM
NA6speed
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Thank you for sharing your experience very honestly. When doing upgrades on car (or bike, or whatever else), people are usually praising (thus justifiying) their expensive purchase rather than being really objective about it and honest with themselves. I once heard the term "Buyer's Stockholm Syndrome", which I find very funny, but fitting.
Your experience, the information from my source and Dundon's questionable reply ony my question is enough for me to know to not go with any of their upgrades.

Last edited by NA6speed; 11-22-2022 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-22-2022 | 04:55 AM
NA6speed
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ascetic
I just put them on, so no. Where'd you here about issues with them? Link?
I can't find your question and their response on their site.
There you go:
https://www.dundonmotorsports.com/pr...s&ref=yotpo_46
I heard about the issues when I asked someone who had personal experience with this part. He told me that he would not recommend this kit for my kind of use (regular trackday use) and I have no reason to doubt his expertise, since he would neither benefit nor lose anything with a statement pro or con.
Also, I don't think there is anywhere in Germany you can buy it from, and I am a little hesitant importing such an expensive automotive part all by myself from the US.
Customs, shipping and VAT would add something way north of 1,500€ to an ealready $3700 part.
Not even speaking about that this part surely is not steet legal in Germany.

Last edited by NA6speed; 11-22-2022 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2022 | 11:43 AM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

Interesting thread, and would be more interesting if dundon came in here and addressed your findings and the other comments.
The following users liked this post:
Rick GT3 (11-22-2022)
Old 11-22-2022 | 06:22 PM
Ascetic
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bx Tpr
Ran the dundon plenum for over 20,000 miles and if I had to do it over again, I wouldn’t. It’s 100% a different plastic than OEM. The internals of the Dundon plenum are the same as oem and the only reason you need it is so you can run their larger throttle body. After 20k miles the gaskets on both sides of the plenum had started leaking oil from the pcv system ingesting oil back into the intake. It had turned the engine bay into an oily mess. Also, it won’t fix the internal flap actuator problem. Mine had come loose like a few others on here. I just ordered a new center plenum and put my oem parts back on. Outside of some drop in filters, I won’t be touching the top end of this engine again.
Hmm, you sure that wasn't an installation issue? After 20k miles the intake was still good enough for you to sell it.
Old 11-23-2022 | 04:38 AM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 455 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Bx Tpr
Ran the dundon plenum for over 20,000 miles and if I had to do it over again, I wouldn’t.
I'm one of the owners that didn't cave into the "must buy the whole kit for it to work" when Dundon released their intake including their plenum and larger TB.

I chose to only buy their intake without their plenum and larger TB.

Happy to share my experiences in private on running their intake for 3Y before recently removing it.

Found it regrettable that recent threads floating around stated recommendations that ECU "must be tuned" for maximizing gains, certainly wasn't the speak when the products were first released.

When doing upgrades on car (or bike, or whatever else), people are usually praising (thus justifiying) their expensive purchase rather than being really objective about it and honest with themselves.
Most don't want to "offend" the vendor, if anything the amount of owners here that follow vendors like Gospel creates alot of salt when detractors speak up and get chastized.

Take "positive" feedback on mods, upgrades, changes with a massive grain of salt. Most of it is definitely "Buyer's Stockholm Syndrome".
Bx Tpr (11-26-2022)
Old 11-23-2022 | 06:57 AM
NA6speed
Instructor

I'm in the Bike industry, and it's the same here. People need to justify their latest fork, shock, brake, ... purchase just because it just must be better than the stock one, right?
Sometimes I have tried these upgrades on other people's bikes. Since we are a manufacturer for bike parts, we also sometimes have people showing me their own creations/inventions, which they believe will change the world.
It's not always easy to tell them that - objectively and perfectly neutral - you don't see the difference they do.

catdog2 (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022 | 12:26 AM
RockyTopTenn
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

No warranty for me. The car is 4.5 years, has seen plenty of mileage, and lots of track days, so I did not expect warranty tbh. Didn't cost that much either, so all good from my end.
There is an official documentaton of this issue, though.
Where is the documentation for this? Wondering if I need to get mine checked for these problems mentioned above before my warranty expires...
Old 11-24-2022 | 03:24 AM
NA6speed
Instructor

Originally Posted by RockyTopTenn
Where is the documentation for this? Wondering if I need to get mine checked for these problems mentioned above before my warranty expires...
If you are asking about the plenum material and the softening over time, check here:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...69740-0001.pdf
In retrospective, I am not sure, how much this part affected the power drop I experienced or whether my part was defective at all.
The acceleration dent at (~6700rpm) "felt" less prominent, but might have been placebo. I was still far away from reaching 300kmh/ top speed.
The actual problem was the broken control arm for the flap and I don't know if this is anofficially documented issue by PAG. surely it must be known, given the cases here alone.
Old 11-26-2022 | 05:37 PM
Bx Tpr
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascetic
Hmm, you sure that wasn't an installation issue? After 20k miles the intake was still good enough for you to sell it.
Was installed at a Porsche dealer in Larchmont, NY who had done another two Dundon plenums prior to mine. Same sealing issue was found on the other two prior installs. As per his observations, the oval openings on the dundon plenum aren’t an exact match to the OEM plenum. I confirmed this when I removed mine and compared it to the new plenum. The plenum gaskets are never perfectly sealed which is why they will eventually leak the oil being ingested by the pcv system.

Other than the leaky gaskets the part does exactly what they say it does. It makes really good power when everything else is running right. Unfortunately it doesn’t fit like OEM.
Old 11-27-2022 | 12:00 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,745 Likes on 975 Posts

Dundon should comment here. It almost doesnt sound like the the Dundon we all know. We all know their fit and finish are the best. That being said, I have no reason to believe the commenters here are making it up, perhaps the design can be improved. I’m sure they can think of a way.
The following 3 users liked this post by 3-Pedals:
AnthonyGan (12-05-2022), NA6speed (12-04-2022), Rick GT3 (11-28-2022)
Old 12-04-2022 | 09:08 PM
NA6speed
Instructor

Funny thing is: I noticed that companies are very, very attentive and responsive to comments about when or where their products can be purchased. By far more than in any other forum I've ever been. It's almost scary how they always seem to know when someone is asking and reply immediately. Can't say to have noticed the same responsiveness upon uncomfortable questions.
I'd be very surprised if they had not seen their name mentioned here.
​​​​​

Last edited by NA6speed; 12-05-2022 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Touring - Pull reduced over 6700rpm