Sponsored by:

G6 replacement motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 10:05 PM
sbonomo
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts
Default G6 replacement motor

So i just found out the the used 991.1 i purchased in January has the G6 motor in it (I was told it had an F motor when i bought it) score! i have been scouring the threads to read up as much as i can on the G6 and am pleased beyond my wildest dreams. Does this add any value to the car or just allow it to hold its value (i paid 116K for a '14 with dundon long tube headers, gmg center exhaust and emotion stage 3 suspension - 46K miles in very good condition)? I bought the car with the thought process that i would drive it for a while and upgrade to a .2 eventually but i truly love it as is. It came with the dundon long tube headers so i don't really think that i get a whole lot more out of the 4.0L stock motor other than a newer car.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:48 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

I just got mine yesterday - paid a small premium for a G6 car but I’m not sure that will be the norm. When I would call about cars for sale at dealerships -including large Porsche dealerships - most of the salespeople had no idea what I was talking about and that includes after I throughly explained it. They would always say that the car in question wasn’t part of the recall which let me know for sure they had no clue. These cars may remain the ugly duckling of the GT world and that is fine since I hope not to sell for a long time. I think the value of a G6 should hold amongst knowledgeable buyers but what percentage of potential buyers does that represent? I think the G6 991.1 will be an enthusiast driver GT. Your car has miles so will never be a collector car and neither will mine although I paid quite a bit more. I expect mine to depreciate over the next few years but a well kept car can only fall so far. Eventually, and maybe immediately, they will creep up in value as people get desperate to get a GT3 and can’t buy new ones.

for the same reasons I think the 991.2 will stabilize at a pretty high level. I just don’t think Porsche will ever make enough 992 and later GT cars to compete with demand. They may still make some non-hybrid GT cars but good luck getting one. There will be people like me who want a GT car (I was lucky enough to have a 997.1 before this) but can’t quite stomach the cost of a 991.2

The 991.1 is pretty (my wife likes it - no small thing) and with a G6 should be as reliable as the later cars as far as we know so far

Last edited by 74goldtarga; 08-18-2022 at 10:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sbonomo (08-19-2022)
Old 06-22-2023, 02:44 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Congrats
Old 06-26-2023, 11:31 AM
Skid
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

If you are tracking the car then getting a G6 + Emotion stage 3 package for $116k is the steal of the year. 46k miles is obviously on the high side of the normal curve but you likely have a lot less than that on the G6 in there. Congrats!

ps. My G6 .1 sees largely track work and I too sometimes flirt with the idea of switching to a .2 RS but unless and until the market prices in the real value of the G6 it’s just too much of a bargain relative to the moderate track performance bump of the .2 RS.

Quick Reply: G6 replacement motor