Sponsored by:

New battery, now what

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 05:16 PM
Captscrub
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New battery, now what

Installed a new battery in my 2018 GT3. Kept my settings alive by plugging in a power source in the cigarette lighter. Is there anything else I need to do? I saw a You Tube video saying I have to 'register the battery.to the car' The battery I installed was comparable to the OE in amp hrs, CCA, and a glass mat.
It seems like a simple thing like this shouldn't require a scan tool to install.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:56 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Captscrub
Installed a new battery in my 2018 GT3. Kept my settings alive by plugging in a power source in the cigarette lighter. Is there anything else I need to do? I saw a You Tube video saying I have to 'register the battery.to the car' The battery I installed was comparable to the OE in amp hrs, CCA, and a glass mat.
It seems like a simple thing like this shouldn't require a scan tool to install.
There is a lithium battery setting in PIWIS and/or in the vehicle settings. But from what I understand, the vast majority of people do not bother.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 10:39 AM
pjazz
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 141 Posts

They say that if you don't program the ECM for a new battery the system won't charge the battery proportionally for it's actual age. Porsche won't program an aftermarket battery, but I've done it with my Antigravity by instead of using the part number of the aftermarket battery and using the old battery part number. I used my icarsoft programmer for this. I see quite a few people who don't bother and I can't say if it decreases the life of the battery or not.

Last edited by pjazz; 07-31-2022 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:44 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 89 Posts

My original battery failed about a month after I got the car, dealer sent out a tech with a new battery to my house to replace it. He just swapped it out, no power source during the switch, no programming. Still good three years later…
Old 07-31-2022, 03:48 PM
TinyPP
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Keep in mind when you change your Battery your evap system will reset. If you're going to get smog/registration done, you'll need to drive the car a 100 miles or so. Alternatively, you can buy a cigarette lighter to cigarette lighter car-to-car jumpers to keep ALL memory including radio stations, evap etc.

Here's one example. There are many. You can use this on all your cars when the time comes.

https://a.co/d/a90JVD7
or
https://a.co/d/cGrOow9

Last edited by TinyPP; 07-31-2022 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:38 PM
driIve
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TinyPP
Keep in mind when you change your Battery your evap system will reset. If you're going to get smog/registration done, you'll need to drive the car a 100 miles or so. Alternatively, you can buy a cigarette lighter to cigarette lighter car-to-car jumpers to keep ALL memory including radio stations, evap etc.

Here's one example. There are many. You can use this on all your cars when the time comes.

https://a.co/d/a90JVD7
or
https://a.co/d/cGrOow9
Probably dumb question but is this the same as plugging in battery tender via cigarette lighter? Or does it have to be plugged into another car?
Old 08-01-2022, 08:44 PM
TinyPP
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by driIve
Probably dumb question but is this the same as plugging in battery tender via cigarette lighter? Or does it have to be plugged into another car?
That's a really good question, but I'm not sure. I generally don't like trickle charging through the cigarette lighter, just a personal preference.

Quick Reply: New battery, now what