Sponsored by:

PCCB vs Steel - real life experience)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 02:52 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 639 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
I had PCCBs on my prior 3 GT cars and loved them but heard so much forum talk that "they're no better than steel at grip" so ordered my Touring with Steels.
Upon delivery and throughout my first 4k miles of ownership I was continually disappointed with OEM Steels for road driving around Phoenix, AZ - You need to have six serious braking events to warm up the steels before you can expect full braking
I sourced a Seller here on RL, bought the complete OEM PCCB conversion and was absolutely amazed at how superior the PCCB braking s for the road.

My PCCB initial bite on cold start was secure just as on my prior GT cars PCCBs. Steels were dodgy until those first 6+ braking events to warm them up
**** Note this is exactly opposite of what I have heard as a caution in the forums "PCCBs don't grip until they are warm" ****
Perhaps that was true on earlier PCCB formulations, but I was so much happier removing the OEM Steels/pads.

I would always recommend selecting PCCBs for safety and consistency when your goal is road driving, IMHO they are far superior and I regret buying OEM Steels
The comments about your experience are strange - OEM pads? I've now had several GT3s/RS's for a few generations, only with the reds and never had had to warm them up. I also would add that I drive it in freezing temps, wet/cold and always the same. They need more force than PCCB when applying the brakes but that is normal for me and doesn't effect smoothness.

I find PCCBs can feel artificial or wooden. They clearly have performance benefits in terms of weight and resistance to fade under extreme use - just need to decide what you want to spend. For me, both are equally good at getting into max braking / engaging ABS, but I prefer the linear feel of the reds. Maybe because I am used to it. If I were to go CCB it would be the STs. Running hard track miles it just makes more sense. Nice to have options.
Old 09-07-2022, 05:00 AM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ysiysiyksi
Putting in my build for my allocation and have to decice on the brakes.

Without tracking the car, will the brakes squeal like they did on 991.2Gen? I had steels on my old car, and it was embarrasingly bad, and didn't get much help from high speed braking.

Do the 992 gen steels still squeal, what about the PCCBs? I am leaning towards the steels as I don't plan on tracking the car, but need them to be more quiet. Do the PCCBs work well in normal street use and is the pedal firm?
PCCBs work great, stop well with street use. I also tracked mine , HPDE about 20 x. Replaced the pads at 65k miles. Pads were at 60%, rotors according to Porsche techs were at 85%

I'd definitely buy them again
Old 09-07-2022, 08:46 AM
Jony++
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

My experience:

I've upgraded from iron to ST, and I do like them. The brake feel is better, no fade in circuit, direction feels lighter, suspension works way much better in uneven roads... cons price.

For my next porsche, I will order it with reds and then buy a set of ST.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:14 AM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 324 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
The comments about your experience are strange - OEM pads? I've now had several GT3s/RS's for a few generations, only with the reds and never had had to warm them up. I also would add that I drive it in freezing temps, wet/cold and always the same. They need more force than PCCB when applying the brakes but that is normal for me and doesn't effect smoothness.

I find PCCBs can feel artificial or wooden. They clearly have performance benefits in terms of weight and resistance to fade under extreme use - just need to decide what you want to spend. For me, both are equally good at getting into max braking / engaging ABS, but I prefer the linear feel of the reds. Maybe because I am used to it. If I were to go CCB it would be the STs. Running hard track miles it just makes more sense. Nice to have options.
For those who don't like the feel of PCCBs or the performance of the new PCCB pads, I would recommend trying out the Pagid RSC1 compound for dual-use drivers. For 991 cars with PCCB, you will need Pagid 4927 in the front and 4925 in the rear. Many folks have switched from the OE compound to the Pagid compound and have been very pleased with them. They tend to have a little less initial bite than the old 991 PCCB compound, but offer better modulation and feel. They are also an improvement over the new PCCB compound as well. I have these in stock for US customers. Contact for best pricing. Many folks are discovering the advantages of ST rotors. They perform better, last longer, and can be refurbished several times. On top of all of that, they are half the cost of OE PCCBs. I have sold tons of these for 991 owners and this is the perfect solution for those that track their cars alot, are due to replace their expensive OE PCCB discs, or have iron discs and want to upgrade to carbon discs. Contact me to find out if they are right for you. I offer the best prices and will ship worldwide.

Originally Posted by Jony++
My experience:

I've upgraded from iron to ST, and I do like them. The brake feel is better, no fade in circuit, direction feels lighter, suspension works way much better in uneven roads... cons price.

For my next porsche, I will order it with reds and then buy a set of ST.
Many owners are doing exactly this, especially due to current supply chain issues surrounding PCCBs. All of our Surface Transforms offerings can be viewed here. Please note, the "Upgrade" kits are for vehicles originally equipped with iron rotors. The "Replacement" kits are for vehicles already equipped with PCCB discs who are switching to STs.

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
no. The brake feel and bite have a lot more to do with how the car is set up. It’s not strictly a steel vs ceramics thing. Porsche likes a lot more bite at the top and a linear flow. McLaren wants more racing style leg work out. A lot more control at the top of the peddle. The absolute performance of the brakes is incredible either way. It’s a feel thing.

the Porsche likes their ceramics to bite hard and fast.
I think Porsche does this (mainly) to give the perception of having more stopping power than iron which helps justify the extra cost for PCCBs. This is merely my opinion. However, you can play around with the feel of your PCCBs by running different pad compounds. The Pagid RSC lineup as mentioned above is a good place to start for anyone who isn't happy with their current PCCB pads. They offer the RSC1 (Street/Track), RSC2 (Some Street / More Track), and RSC3 (Highest Bite - Most Aggressive Track). If anyone would like to discuss this just contact me!

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (09-13-2022)
Old 09-10-2022, 08:47 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hinz Motorsport

I think Porsche does this (mainly) to give the perception of having more stopping power than iron which helps justify the extra cost for PCCBs. This is merely my opinion. However, you can play around with the feel of your PCCBs by running different pad compounds. The Pagid RSC lineup as mentioned above is a good place to start for anyone who isn't happy with their current PCCB pads. They offer the RSC1 (Street/Track), RSC2 (Some Street / More Track), and RSC3 (Highest Bite - Most Aggressive Track). If anyone would like to discuss this just contact me!
I agree with what you say and probably the extra stopping power feel of the PCCB is partially caused by the slightly bigger disc diameter and also by the extra width of the lower front pad area ( and disc surface )

Not sure if they make those wider contact surface on the PCCB disc to compensate some technical friction specifications vs the steel or just because on steel it would weight too much

In any case as with steel brakes everyone should understand as stated correctly that the pad material is making probably the biggest difference and can be adapted to each user requirement on track

Old 09-12-2022, 05:10 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 324 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxi_z
I agree with what you say and probably the extra stopping power feel of the PCCB is partially caused by the slightly bigger disc diameter and also by the extra width of the lower front pad area ( and disc surface )

Not sure if they make those wider contact surface on the PCCB disc to compensate some technical friction specifications vs the steel or just because on steel it would weight too much

In any case as with steel brakes everyone should understand as stated correctly that the pad material is making probably the biggest difference and can be adapted to each user requirement on track
The larger annulus or "sweep" that PCCB discs feature is due to the fact that they don't absorb or dissipate heat as well. The larger surface is really intended to mate with a larger pad so the pad can handle the heat. As you mention, iron discs don't need this as iron is a better conductor of heat so more of that energy is put into the disc instead of the pad. Running the larger PCCB-sized disc/annulus in an iron application is unnecessary and would just add weight.

There are exceptions to this depending on the application and the brand of carbon disc being used. For example, there are a number of GT4 Clubsports running around with ST Carbon rotors. These cars can get away with it since the OE pads are very large and thick, the cars are lighter, and ST rotors run cooler than PCCB and iron discs.

I am investigating offering the PFC brake kits with ST rotors, to create the ultimate trackday package in terms of weight and performance. You would then be able to run 380mm carbon ceramic discs with 18" wheels when paired with the PFC calipers. If temps are too high, a 400mm disc could potentially be used and would then at least easily clear 19" wheels, without running the risk of stones getting caught between the caliper and wheel barrel as you currently see with 410mm PCCB discs and OE calipers on aftermarket wheels. I'm still trying to gauge interest in this as a new disc would have to be designed from ST. They are willing if demand is there.
The following users liked this post:
Perimeter (10-21-2022)
Old 10-21-2022, 06:56 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Hinz Motorsport
The larger annulus or "sweep" that PCCB discs feature is due to the fact that ....
i see what you're saying about PCCBs have larger contact
Old 10-21-2022, 08:45 PM
HRJ
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

I have steels on my GTS and PCCBs on my GT3. Both squeal horribly. It’s probably my driving style, I’m very light/easy on brakes.

Quick Reply: PCCB vs Steel - real life experience)