Sponsored by:

For the DIY types - Inspection of Finger Followers & DLC

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 02:00 PM
TinyPP
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
Default For the DIY types - Inspection of Finger Followers & DLC

I've been researching general automotive Metallurgical Inclusion issues (cars and motorcycles) and ran into a 2018 post on Facebook by Dundon. https://www.facebook.com/DundonMotorsports/posts/9911-gt3-finger-followers-we-checked-them-4000miles-ago-and-there-was-a-little-t/1007076516160844/

There are 4 pictures that clearly depict the issue. At some point, someone posted that Porsche had an Indian company manufacture the Finger Followers where the inclusion in the FF hypothetically may have led to the DLC abrasion issue (4 pictures) and the eventual failure of some engines. Porsche's theory of 5 to 10% failure of the engines seem to hold water as I assume they had more than one supplier across the globe manufacture the FF.

I would hypothesize that from an engineering perspective, somehow the quality control for the Inclusion issue was missed, overlooked or.... but this is pure speculation.

From an engineering perspective, clearly repeated Oil Analysis is key here. I often wondered if Porsche quietly asked/asks dealers to send back samples with every oil change. It would be clever if they did as analysis of the concentrations of the DLC abrasion particles (Porsche has the metallurgy) would be a clear indicator and that may lead to identifying the FF suppliers and hence postulating which serial numbers may become susceptible. In fact if Blackstone had a damaged FF they could easily create a DLC specific test.

Nonetheless my question for the wrenchers and DIY'rs amongst this group is there a visual way for a camera to inspect the FF & Cam without removing the engine? Can a camera scope access through the Cam sensor hole or any other location backtracking through an open valve albeit cumbersome a possibility? Anyone in SoCal have a 991.1 GT3 engine out of a car laying around?

Last edited by TinyPP; 07-05-2022 at 02:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TinyPP:
64% Cacoa (07-06-2022), Cay_PI (07-07-2022)

Quick Reply: For the DIY types - Inspection of Finger Followers & DLC