Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on tickets from a dealership...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 03:03 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,018 Posts

In CA, you are required as the seller to report the car’s ownership transfer. This serves as a liability shield for you to prevent exactly this problem. You are not legally responsible for tickets or issues after the sale closes. But selling out of state could mean adjudicating this in another state’s court which sucks.

Gotta cross your t’s and dot your i’s on that paperwork.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:38 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

If it were me, I would contact the ticketing agency (if it's a toll, then FastTrack?). And provide proof of sale, which happened before violation. Easy peasy GT-threezy.
The following users liked this post:
redmonkey928 (06-26-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 08:17 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
Nominal - couple hundred dollars of fines. Certainly the dollar amount is not what is the most upsetting.

Have done that for years and years, and this has never been the case. Local DMV told me years back to leave the plates on the car even if dealership is to a dealer outside of MN. But again, lesson learned going forward that wont happen.
Have you gotten the plates back or at least assured they have been removed from the car?

State I grew up in (a long time ago...) also had the plates stay with the car (I suspect that has changed as it's a way for the state to collect more $$) but this makes no sense if the car is going to be registered out of state.

Really just a hassle vs $$ question - and if the dealer is willing to reimburse you then its a no brainer...

Quick Reply: Thoughts on tickets from a dealership...