Sponsored by:

P0841 Transmission Fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 07:48 AM
DSC48
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 233 Posts
Default P0841 Transmission Fault

Last week I popped a P0841 fault during a spirited drive and got a message for "transmission fault, ok to drive on, no R is possible". I was in 4th at the time and had only 2-4-6 gears. I pulled over and restarted the car and the warning message went away and I had all gears back. I don't know if I ever lost reverse as I restarted before I checked. Driveability was normal after the restart.

Dealer diagnosed as the car is still under CPO. PDK fluid was normal and full with no evidence of overheating or wear. No leaks, no issues at all. Code was reset and the PDK software was reflashed. Dealer thinks it most likely is just a software glitch or hiccup and it will likely not return. However, the mothership said if it returns they will immediately order a replacement PDK for the car.

Any similar stories? Anyone have a PDK replacement on their GT car?

2015 GT3 with 16,800 miles for reference.

Last edited by DSC48; 06-03-2022 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:28 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,128 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC48
Last week I popped a P0841 fault during a spirited drive and got a message for "transmission fault, ok to drive one, no R is possible". I was in 4th at the time and had only 2-4-6 gears. I pulled over and restarted the car and the warning message went away and I had all gears back. I don't know if I ever lost reverse as I restarted before I checked. Driveability was normal after the restart.

Dealer diagnosed as the car is still under CPO. PDK fluid was normal and full with no evidence of overheating or wear. No leaks, no issues at all. Code was reset and the PDK software was reflashed. Dealer thinks it most likely is just a software glitch or hiccup and it will likely not return. However, the mothership said if it returns they will immediately order a replacement PDK for the car.

Any similar stories? Anyone have a PDK replacement on their GT car?

2015 GT3 with 16,800 miles for reference.
I am aware of a couple PDK issues that required replacement when the cars were nearly brand new. Hope yours is less serious.
The following users liked this post:
DSC48 (06-03-2022)
Old 06-02-2022, 01:28 PM
cwazy1
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Long time lurker. Just registered so that I can reply to this thread.

Had a similar issue with my PDK, except that I only had 1-2-3-5-6 and it threw a code to stop me from going into PDK-s mode. It would also auto shift for me in manual mode. It was inconsistent showing this symptom for 6-8 months (happened 3-4 times over ~5k miles) until it finally gave way and became easy to reproduce. Thats when I brought it into the shop and they went through the diagnosis of changing the PDK fluids, reflashing ECU, replacing the gaskets, replacing the PDK ECU, and then finally got the OK from Porsche to send a new PDK. It took 2 weeks from Germany to USA and is now traveling from east coast to west coast for an install next week which is 2 days of labor.

Car is at 20k miles right now, its a '15, and its seen probably 20 track days in its life. I'm always driving it in manual mode and whenever possible shift at 9k.
DSC48 (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 11:26 AM
sbonomo
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts

I just received the same message on my '14 gt3. The codes that were pulled on mine are p1745, p181a, p1773 and p1764. The dealership wants 20-25K to replace the tranny. Uhhhhhh. After doing some research on the innerweb I believe it is fixable just looking for shops in So Cal. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated if anyone else has had this problem. Sorry for the hijack OP - hopefully there are some replies that can help us both.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:44 PM
BLKMamba
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

My local dealer has a new PDK tranny on order for me. Car is still under CPO and expires next month. Last April, brought it in for an oil change and also asked to check the transmission even though no errors on the dashboard as it was hesitating to move from a stop. Have to rev it up a bit more to get moving. They found a passive fault for the distance sensor. Dealer resetted and was advised to drive my gt3 hard and come back. Ok - that's easy enough lol.

Brought my car back in last week and sure enough, P1745 fault returned. Car has 20k miles. Glad this happened under CPO.

Next - i'll be focusing on my engine to grenade. Still running on the revised E motor.
DSC48 (06-03-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 06:20 PM
DSC48
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 233 Posts

It looks like this is not necessarily an isolated issue. Interesting. I will be in the Smokies next weekend (from NJ), so it will be a good test of the PDK to see if it's "fixed".

Quick Reply: P0841 Transmission Fault