Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 08:20 PM
Ted@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 125 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Dguth
Is there any significant drone difference between street headers and loud muffler vs the mini crack pipe? I would like to get the higher pitch RSR sound and the performance gain. I do track my car. My current setup is the Soul center delete but they don't sell headers with cats.
Yes, the mini-crack drones compared to the Loud muffler. The Loud muffler sounds pretty darn good to my ears.

Difficult to have your cake and eat it too. Feel free to give me a shout if you want to talk nuance.
Ted@dundonmotorsports.com
Dundon Motorsports
+1.253.200.4454

www.dundonmotorsports.com

Old 05-24-2022, 10:32 PM
M&Abanker4life
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 95 Posts

Talk me out of upgrading from the loud muffler + street headers to mini cats on crack
Old 05-25-2022, 09:53 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

@Ted@dundonmotorsports between the headers, side delete only, rear muffler and mini crack pipe, what would you say most contributes to the RSR sound and also what is the primary source of any drone?
Old 05-27-2022, 02:42 PM
Ted@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

@gravedgr Can't really point to one piece of the puzzle. The headers create the stronger suction wave (which makes the power), which you hear as the *snap* and the extra bark in the system. The side mufflers do a lot of work to reduce drone in the stock system. The mini crack combined with the lack of side mufflers and the extra pop the headers provide is really where you get the RSR sound.

It's tough to "have your cake and eat it too", but if you have some tolerance for loud and are comfortable driving around the RPM ranges where it's uncomfortable, the Street Header/Mini Crack is as close to RSR as you can get while still having some streetability.

Of course, everyone hears things differently, so your mileage may vary.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:39 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ted@dundonmotorsports
@gravedgr Can't really point to one piece of the puzzle. The headers create the stronger suction wave (which makes the power), which you hear as the *snap* and the extra bark in the system. The side mufflers do a lot of work to reduce drone in the stock system. The mini crack combined with the lack of side mufflers and the extra pop the headers provide is really where you get the RSR sound.

It's tough to "have your cake and eat it too", but if you have some tolerance for loud and are comfortable driving around the RPM ranges where it's uncomfortable, the Street Header/Mini Crack is as close to RSR as you can get while still having some streetability.

Of course, everyone hears things differently, so your mileage may vary.
Thanks for the feedback. A FB poll plus comments here lead me to believe the lifetime muffler + street headers is the more livable combo for street driving with a bit of track and highway time.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:46 PM
Ted@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's our most popular offering for a reason
The following users liked this post:
gravedgr (05-28-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 11:52 AM
stetty
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Thanks for the feedback. A FB poll plus comments here lead me to believe the lifetime muffler + street headers is the more livable combo for street driving with a bit of track and highway time.
I’ve had the full dundon system for a few years on my .2 GT3. Street headers, side deletes, loud lifetime muffler (believe it was called “black”/loud vs “orange”/quiet at the time). I have spent lots of time on track with this setup but also use around town. This system isn’t a compromise. It screams. With PDK it pops on up shifts under full throttle, sounds like a Glock firing. It is loud but glorious. And it provides more power. Ted mentions not having your cake and eating it too, I disagree. You’ll have frosting all over your face with this setup. Power, volume, pops and screaming exhaust at high rpms. With very little to no drone relative to others systems. Don’t hesitate.

Last edited by stetty; 05-30-2022 at 11:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by stetty:
gravedgr (05-30-2022), M&Abanker4life (05-30-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 12:18 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stetty
I’ve had the full dundon system for a few years on my .2 GT3. Street headers, side deletes, loud lifetime muffler (believe it was called “black”/loud vs “orange”/quiet at the time). I have spent lots of time on track with this setup but also use around town. This system isn’t a compromise. It screams. With PDK it pops on up shifts under full throttle, sounds like a Glock firing. It is loud but glorious. And it provides more power. Ted mentions not having your cake and eating it too, I disagree. You’ll have frosting all over your face with this setup. Power, volume, pops and screaming exhaust at high rpms. With very little to no drone relative to others systems. Don’t hesitate.
Great feedback, thank you! I would have no hesitation if the cost wasn’t similar to the price of a used Corolla for my soon-to-be 16 year old.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:50 PM
Clementine33
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by stetty
Originally Posted by gravedgr
Great feedback, thank you! I would have no hesitation if the cost wasn’t similar to the price of a used Corolla for my soon-to-be 16 year old.
I have the same arrangement on my .2 GT3RS, and it is worth every penny. My neighbors are not thrilled (at least, not in a good way) with how LOUD it is, but then I don't go to as much trouble as I should to keep the noise down. The pops on upshift do sound like a pistol which is particularly entertaining when you pass some lost dumbass going 10 miles under the speed limit on a fun mountain road. I have noticed some drone 2200-2500 RPM's, but it is not unpleasant, really.
I highly recommend this set-up at almost any price. I go out after a bad day at work, get some "3RS therapy," and I'm all smiles when I get back home. Cheaper than years of psychotherapy!
Old 02-05-2023, 12:03 PM
kamrandn
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried the mini crackpipe just by itself?
Old 02-05-2023, 12:20 PM
Xec
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by kamrandn
Has anyone tried the mini crackpipe just by itself?
By itself, it’s just a center bypass. It’s a lot to pay for just a center, but it is the loudest one by far with a good tone and timbre.
Old 04-25-2023, 10:09 AM
Vinh Nguyen
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 96 Posts

Wondering at what ranges does the minicrack + headers drone at?

I have the headers + loud right now and with valves open, I feel theres a little drone at 2500-2700 range and at idle. valves closed theres no drone at any range.

Old 04-25-2023, 05:45 PM
inspire
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Mini crack pipe + headers is fine if you are driving around town or through the backroads. However if you are doing sustained long driving at freeway speeds, it will drone like crazy. Basically it drones just cruising at all RPMs in my opinion, or anytime you use past 10% throttle, which gets super annoying.

The following users liked this post:
Vinh Nguyen (04-25-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 05:57 PM
Vinh Nguyen
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 96 Posts

So even if you get to 7th gear at cruising speed it still drones with valves closed? Dang
Old 04-25-2023, 08:49 PM
inspire
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinh Nguyen
So even if you get to 7th gear at cruising speed it still drones with valves closed? Dang
Pretty much. It won't drone if you apply the tiniest throttle. The drone is somewhat like on a Street Headers + Center Muffler setup, where if you go up a small hill, it will drone super slightly since you are applying more throttle.

However with the crackpipe, the drone is just always there and more loud.

Quick Reply: Dundon mini crack pipe