Sponsored by:

CPO from Non-Porsche Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 11:48 AM
AgsWin
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Question CPO from Non-Porsche Dealer

Hello all, first time poster, currently have a 2022 M4 and looking to get into a GT3/GT3RS. Found a used GT3 at a Chevy dealership and they are telling me that it has a CPO until Dec 2023. They cannot give me any paperwork showing the CPO and said the Porsche dealer down the street can't give me paperwork either but are trying to assure me that the CPO stays with the car and is valid. Does this sound plausible and what is the best way to ensure the car has a transferrable CPO?
Old 05-03-2022, 11:53 AM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

not if the Porshe dealer cant confirm it.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:57 AM
AgsWin
Instructor

Originally Posted by bogey1
not if the Porshe dealer cant confirm it.
Chevy dealer says "I just spoke with a service advisor at my local Porsche dealer, he can't produce documentation that you are requesting showing the CPO, but he did say if you called him he could confirm it's CPO status with the VIN. He reiterated to me that the CPO warranty comes with the vehicle and not person to person"
Old 05-03-2022, 12:10 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Call 1-800-PORSCHE. Choose Customer Service. Give the person answering the phone the VIN. He/She will confirm original warranty end date, as well as that of CPO warranty, if any.

Your luck may vary when it comes time for service. Technically speaking, I believe the CPO warranty only transfers via Private Party sale (or through a Porsche dealership). Meaning once a Porsche CPO vehicle is sold through a non-Porsche dealership the CPO warranty on that vehicle is void. Whether or not Porsche actually enforces that is up to Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 12:16 PM
AgsWin
Instructor

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Call 1-800-PORSCHE. Choose Customer Service. Give the person answering the phone the VIN. He/She will confirm original warranty end date, as well as that of CPO warranty, if any.

Your luck may vary when it comes time for service. Technically speaking, I believe the CPO warranty only transfers via Private Party sale (or through a Porsche dealership). Meaning once a Porsche CPO vehicle is sold through a non-Porsche dealership the CPO warranty on that vehicle is void. Whether or not Porsche actually enforces that is up to Porsche.
Thanks. That is what 2 different dealers just confirmed. The car may have a CPO warranty on it now, but once the sale executes from a Non-Porsche dealer then the CPO falls off and Porsche will deny claims once it sees that it was sold from a non-porsche dealer as a CPO. The search continues!
The following users liked this post:
josephvman (05-13-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 02:14 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 725 Likes on 401 Posts

Technically it's not suppose to transfer and certainly cannot be advertised as such.

Anecdotally, I purchased a car with an existing CPO on it from a non-porsche dealer unknowingly. I took it in for an oil change once and was informed. My SA said (and take it with a grain of salt) that it follows the VIN and their system from the service perspective doesn't track it's transaction history in order to void the contract.

But I suppose it's a gamble if you place a high value on CPO status.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:35 PM
DSC48
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by AgsWin
Thanks. That is what 2 different dealers just confirmed. The car may have a CPO warranty on it now, but once the sale executes from a Non-Porsche dealer then the CPO falls off and Porsche will deny claims once it sees that it was sold from a non-porsche dealer as a CPO. The search continues!
If it's the right car for you, have Porsche do a PPI. Then tell the Chevy dealer to take off $4000 plus any items found on the PPI. Then spend the $4000 on an extended Porsche warranty?

Worst thing is they say no.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:39 PM
AgsWin
Instructor

Originally Posted by DSC48
If it's the right car for you, have Porsche do a PPI. Then tell the Chevy dealer to take off $4000 plus any items found on the PPI. Then spend the $4000 on an extended Porsche warranty?

Worst thing is they say no.
Dealer is throwing up more red flags now, they want to sell it to me via private party form the GM to me so it will transfer. They also advertised a roll cage but it isnt in the car and they said it is at the GM's house and not re-installed because the bolts that are used for it are one time use bolts. Just seems off on why they would remove the roll cage but then advertise it with it
Old 05-03-2022, 08:18 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 506 Likes on 371 Posts

Dealer is throwing up more red flags now, they want to sell it to me via private party form the GM to me so it will transfer. They also advertised a roll cage but it isnt in the car and they said it is at the GM's house and not re-installed because the bolts that are used for it are one time use bolts. Just seems off on why they would remove the roll cage but then advertise it with it
Yeah I'd back out right about here....

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 05-03-2022, 08:18 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

You have to be comfortable with the sale, for sure.

But selling it Private Party like that in order to keep the CPO intact is not entirely uncommon. The first GT3 I bought (from a non-Porsche dealer) was kinda handled like that.

Quick Reply: CPO from Non-Porsche Dealer