Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3RS vbox hd2 install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 09:48 PM
lpw016
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3RS vbox hd2 install DIY

Got a VBOX HD2 installed in my 991.2 GT3RS. I thought I would share what I learned in the install and help others that are considering it.

After some trial and error, I now have the following CANBUS data — accelerator, brake pressure, engine rpm, speed, pdk gear, G meter, steering angle, etc — I’ve essentially replicated the setup at the PTX School at Barber.

I only used the induction wire on the DRIVERS footwell. I did not have to splice into the cars electrical system at all. The rest of the wires can be routed under the dash and inside the glove box without disassembly of the dash (aside from removing the fuse trim pieces which are very simple to do).

There is a YouTube video of a person showing the canbus wires on his GT3 — that video is how I installed the induction wire. Drivers side footwell fuse panel.

We also tapped into the 12V switched power supply on the passenger footwell fuse box.

The GPS antenna wire runs also the windshield and tucks nicely into the door jam and routes easily into the glove box.

The hardware install is pretty straightforward. The more difficult part was figuring out the VBOX software:

Once the hardware is installed you have to make a scene for your vbox. I had to get a REF file for the canbus REF from vbox to get the correct canbus data. I called tech support and they emailed me the file in about 5 minutes. The tech support was very helpful!

To make a scene file —

import the REF file for the canbus

create your scene in VBOX and import the REF file. It will list all the canbus data. For starters just use scene 5 mph ( you can customize it later).

On the video overlay, assign each of the gauges to the appropriate canbus (ie throttle to canbus accelerator, brake to brake pressure, speed, etc).

Now, export the scene file to your SD cars using the vbox “save to sd” card button. Once complete, follow these steps:

1. Remove key from car and make sure the SD card is NOT in the vbox.

2. once the vbox turns on, it will make one beep and the OK light will flash quickly — install the SD card

3. the OLED timer will say — installing scene files. At the end of the install it gave a “communication error” but tech support said that was normal.

4. turn the car off, wait for all the lights on the vbox to turn off.

5. start the car and let the vbox boot. Press record and drive a minute for so turning the wheel, shifting gears, applying various Brake pressures, etc.

6. Turn the car off and then remove the SD card and load it into the Circuit tools to see if your canbus data was captured.

If it doesn’t work, most likely your induction CANBUS wire isn’t installed correctly.

Now that the system is working, it’s time to cleanup the wires and make it all look nice and clean.

Im very happy with the purchase and highly recommend it for those interested in tracking their car and being a better track day driver!

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3RS vbox hd2 install DIY