Sponsored by:

So I had my wheels sandblasted.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 09:39 AM
gogoevo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JGC
If all else fails, you could get a wheel nut that will basically be scrapped and some grinding paste and bring them back to a smooth finish by hand lapping. It will be tedious, cost you a wheel nut, but will work. The dimensional change from the material you remove will be negligible. Good luck!
Originally Posted by 38D
this
Originally Posted by TPG
Can you polish the centers?
Originally Posted by jbatchelor
I think I'd do a bit of gentle lappng-in and then start to use them with periodic checks of tightening torque. We all know what a pain it is to check CL torques but I'd run them for 25 miles, then 50, then 100, then 500 (and so on) checking at each interval for evidence of loss of clamping torque. Maybe become more aggressive with the driving pattern, too.

With luck you will find that that the original torque is retained - happy days. If torque is lost with mileage or with drive cycle duty then you know you have no alternative than to replace.

James
I will give this idea a go. I have an extra set of CL's from my 997.2tt, so I will use one of those. I did a cursory search last night on lapping/polishing paste and there are various grits. Are there any recommendations on paster and/or grit?

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2022, 10:30 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by gogoevo
Curious. Can you elaborate please?
yes. The mating surfaces between the hub/aluminum rotor core/wheel and center lock bolt are all compressed, that’s how it works. What happens if the mating surfaces have abrasions, dirt, etc they can’t be fully compressed. The wheel isn’t going to fall off, but when the wheel is loaded (ie you are turning left or right) you will get a clicking sound which may sound like a pebble in the rotor, or a card in bicycle spokes…

it’s fairly common in the center lock mechanism if you search for it.

again, I don’t think it’s going to be dangerous, but ymmv.

good luck, feel free to pm me if more info needed.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (04-16-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 10:43 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
yes. The mating surfaces between the hub/aluminum rotor core/wheel and center lock bolt are all compressed, that’s how it works. What happens if the mating surfaces have abrasions, dirt, etc they can’t be fully compressed. The wheel isn’t going to fall off, but when the wheel is loaded (ie you are turning left or right) you will get a clicking sound which may sound like a pebble in the rotor, or a card in bicycle spokes…

it’s fairly common in the center lock mechanism if you search for it.

again, I don’t think it’s going to be dangerous, but ymmv.

good luck, feel free to pm me if more info needed.
I had this clicking sound, it confused the dealership at first but apparently there is a technical bulletin on this and it relates to the amount of paste used.
Old 04-15-2022, 10:47 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
I had this clicking sound, it confused the dealership at first but apparently there is a technical bulletin on this and it relates to the amount of paste used.
correct.

it is paste but also cleaning any ‘micro abrasions’ on all mating surfaces.
The following 3 users liked this post by rcg412:
bogey1 (04-15-2022), Larry Cable (04-16-2022), tgibrit (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 11:16 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 327 Posts

Some excellent / intelligent responses in this thread. All I can add is a comment the shop foreman at Monterey Porsche told me when I asked him if they had ever not been able to loosen a CL nut and he told me that usually happens when there isn't enough paste applied and the wheel or nut surface gets scarfed up. So even with adequate paste I suppose a rough mating surface could cause the same problem?
Old 04-15-2022, 11:36 AM
gogoevo
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDCR
Some excellent / intelligent responses in this thread. All I can add is a comment the shop foreman at Monterey Porsche told me when I asked him if they had ever not been able to loosen a CL nut and he told me that usually happens when there isn't enough paste applied and the wheel or nut surface gets scarfed up. So even with adequate paste I suppose a rough mating surface could cause the same problem?
Agreed, I'm thankful for this community! I spoke with the media blaster this morning. Instead of getting in a pissing match with him, I asked him for ideas. Part of me hoped he would offer to pay half for new wheels or something. He stated that the media he used was 1mil (micron?) and shouldn't be too difficult to "knock down" the rough surface. I will try the suggested method of smoothing out the surface if for nothing else curiosity. If it doesn't work out I will get new wheels.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:46 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
Adequate paste is the key term, as too much is not good either. As part of my maintenance process I now disassemble and regreae the center lock nuts.
Old 04-15-2022, 05:00 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default My suggestion

Get some metal polish cream, like this:

Amazon Amazon

Get some soft polishing wheels, like these:

Amazon Amazon

And, go at a wheel. You should be able to get a smooth surface again. Every 500 or 1000 miles, check the torque on the nuts. Should be fine.
Larry Cable (04-16-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 03:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,594 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by gogoevo

**** poor job on the coating, too.
uugh! - what a mess!
Old 04-16-2022, 03:32 PM
GT3 Jockey
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...s-weissach-39/
Old 04-16-2022, 04:20 PM
Thrownaway
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

pm sent
Old 04-19-2022, 12:57 PM
gogoevo
Advanced

UPDATE: The sandblaster redid the mating surface using micro glass to "push down" the abrasions and then used 1500 grit sandpaper with WD-40. It is now very smooth and has that polished look with little or no material loss. Not perfect, but much better. I will be watching the torque very closely.
JGC (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 02:27 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Just FYI: the local powder coater for wheels specifically says that he does not sand blast the wheels because it can damage the wheels. This is a guy who thinks powder coating is fine for wheels. However, when I speak with professional powder coating companies (aerospace grade), they say that they would not even powder coat wheels, because the heat can risk damage to the alloy. .. so there you go, on the risk spectrum.
(I personally decided against powder coating wheels after speaking with higher grade industry experts.)
Old 04-20-2022, 02:53 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
Just FYI: the local powder coater for wheels specifically says that he does not sand blast the wheels because it can damage the wheels. This is a guy who thinks powder coating is fine for wheels. However, when I speak with professional powder coating companies (aerospace grade), they say that they would not even powder coat wheels, because the heat can risk damage to the alloy. .. so there you go, on the risk spectrum.
(I personally decided against powder coating wheels after speaking with higher grade industry experts.)
Good luck with that, depending on where you are. Nobody around here (Bay Area) will paint wheels. I've tried. Most places only powder coat because they aren't allowed (so they say) to paint due to environmental regulations. That makes no sense to me though because how they hell do paint shops function lol. You can get a bumper painted, but not a wheel???

Anyway... yeah powder coating OEM wheels is a big unknown.

Quick Reply: So I had my wheels sandblasted.