Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Move into RS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2022 | 11:11 AM
Keching
Rennlist Member

Default Move into RS?

I’ve been contemplating the idea of moving into either a .1 or .2 3RS (will most likely be .1 as I can’t justify spending another 50-60k, I still like money as much as I like the updated look and interior). Coming from .2 TTs which I love except but just feel like I’m missing out. What are ppls thoughts having owned both cars?
Old 03-05-2022 | 01:38 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

With cars over time there is inevitably some creeping in of what's next...even when what you own is amazing, fast, mint, etc.

Pros:​​​​​​​
  • ​​​​​​​The sweet sounds of a NA 4.0L GT car. Even with the best tuned turbo w/exhaust it's not the same experience.
  • The amazing handling characteristics of the RS. The 991.2 is no slouch but again here you'll find a noticeable improvement.
  • The RS package - this is totally subjective, but hey so is a 991.2TTS vs. a 991.2 GTS. It's not a style suited for everyone but you're going to lose some of the subtle nuances of a TTS that can easily slip into traffic. Paired with the carbon seats the RS certainly feels right.
  • You live in CO...some great place to enjoy an RS.
Cons:
  • Not sure how much you get out and drive in various weather, an AWD turbo with the right tires can handle most conditions where an RS is very limited.
  • Elevation, when I lived in CO I didn't have an RS at that time. Nevertheless, I moved from Chicago to Denver with my '98 900RR. Felt like the power had been zapped. One month later I bought a new fuel injected '07 R1. Point is, as you likely know, there is a trade off with elevation.
  • The turbo rush, this can be addictive. I love it and for me it never got old. Just like anything (RS included) you're limited on what you can do on public roads but it is fun to play with nonetheless. The RS isn't going to give you that intense pull you might be used to.
  • No back seats. For some folks this matters.
I prefer driving the RS vs. a 911 turbo but it isn't a common driver. As someone who used to chase speed with bikes and cars, I don't feel the RS is lacking. Instead, my experience is ~500HP is a sweet spot for this type of car. Not over the top and not under powered. To each their own on this obviously. The turbo is the more versatile option so really depends on what you want from the car. You do live in CO so clearly understand how amazing some of the drives would be. Good luck!

The following 3 users liked this post by CubsFan1:
AnthonyGan (03-05-2022), Keching (03-06-2022), no401k (03-06-2022)
Old 03-05-2022 | 03:26 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

I would add one thing your going to notice right away is the sharpness of the throttle responsiveness. The TTS has a turbo motor which the throttle is a different feel to the NA motor of the 991 RS's. You will immediately pickup the difference and as stated the power delivery is different - not saying one is better than the other but everyone has a preference.
The following users liked this post:
Keching (03-06-2022)
Old 03-05-2022 | 07:08 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

I think if you have a 992.2 turbo s and trade for a Gt3rs, it’ll feel slower. You will need to keep rpms up and you will get good performance. The performance differences in these cars are a lot less imho than is often reported. I think for official track times they put better tires on the rs. Not something I pay enough attention to to really know as I don’t summer near the ring nor do I do track days or race much any more.

The rs is hugely better in aesthetics. I love the wing and all the aero and especially the weissach color schemes and that fast revving na engine with some minor tweaks will absolutely scream. I had Sam hook me up with inconel headers and exhaust and yes the turbo growls a bit more but next to my ferrari 488, it’s not that loud. I think if you get a chance to drive the cars, you will really be able to tell what is better for you. I think since this is something that comes up is the rs will retain its value better over time.
The following users liked this post:
Keching (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022 | 05:46 PM
Keching
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
With cars over time there is inevitably some creeping in of what's next...even when what you own is amazing, fast, mint, etc.

Pros:
  • ​​​​​​​The sweet sounds of a NA 4.0L GT car. Even with the best tuned turbo w/exhaust it's not the same experience.
  • The amazing handling characteristics of the RS. The 991.2 is no slouch but again here you'll find a noticeable improvement.
  • The RS package - this is totally subjective, but hey so is a 991.2TTS vs. a 991.2 GTS. It's not a style suited for everyone but you're going to lose some of the subtle nuances of a TTS that can easily slip into traffic. Paired with the carbon seats the RS certainly feels right.
  • You live in CO...some great place to enjoy an RS.
Cons:
  • Not sure how much you get out and drive in various weather, an AWD turbo with the right tires can handle most conditions where an RS is very limited.
  • Elevation, when I lived in CO I didn't have an RS at that time. Nevertheless, I moved from Chicago to Denver with my '98 900RR. Felt like the power had been zapped. One month later I bought a new fuel injected '07 R1. Point is, as you likely know, there is a trade off with elevation.
  • The turbo rush, this can be addictive. I love it and for me it never got old. Just like anything (RS included) you're limited on what you can do on public roads but it is fun to play with nonetheless. The RS isn't going to give you that intense pull you might be used to.
  • No back seats. For some folks this matters.
I prefer driving the RS vs. a 911 turbo but it isn't a common driver. As someone who used to chase speed with bikes and cars, I don't feel the RS is lacking. Instead, my experience is ~500HP is a sweet spot for this type of car. Not over the top and not under powered. To each their own on this obviously. The turbo is the more versatile option so really depends on what you want from the car. You do live in CO so clearly understand how amazing some of the drives would be. Good luck!
Everything you mentioned has been what I’ve been battling with. So hard to let the Turbo go especially I daily drive her. Thanks for taking the time and putting a detailed thought for me!
Old 03-06-2022 | 06:03 PM
NSD991
Rennlist Member

Not an exact comparison of the cars you are considering but I think some very good points made.

Quick Reply: Move into RS?