Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That GT3 high - real value of this car

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 03:10 PM
997gr8
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

I actually do find it frustrating on-road.
It begs to be driven hard, and that means license-losing speeds, in no time at all. The limits are so high, that it’s only really possible to approach them far from the city, on deserted roads - this is of course, where it really comes into its own and I’m thankful to have It.
I’m sure it’s great on track, but I haven’t experienced that myself.
On regular roads, with fast-ish driving where possible, my old C4S offers much more fun-factor - it slithers around at lower speeds and I don’t feel like I turned up to a gunfight with a nuclear bomb.
The following 2 users liked this post by 997gr8:
spyderbret (02-22-2022), unclemat (03-03-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 04:00 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 657 Likes on 288 Posts

After owning my GT3 for almost 3 months I lean towards the "frustrating" comment. It's an amazing car and I love it but on the street it leaves a bit to be desired. Where it really shines is on track. That glorious wail at 9000 RPM is just intoxicating. Pulling G's through corners, feeling the back end squat on corner exit and full throttle acceleration, heavy braking into low speed corners, it's just awesome. That's not something you can experience the same way city driving. Canyon carving is a close second to track driving, it's just where this car shines. It feels "held back" just driving around town running errands. I do agree that the real "high" of this car is the driving experience and for me that really comes through on the track. I bought this car as my main track car to replace my Cayman R. I'm also fortunate enough to own a Carrera T that I DD. So now I have, for me at least, the perfect garage where I dont have to compromise. If I had to choose I would keep the GT3 as I plan on track driving for many, many years to come and could still use it as a DD even though I would really want to thrash it every time I got in it! At the end of the day I'm just very lucky to have the options I do and the GT3 is just an awesome car no matter how you use it.
The following users liked this post:
Dufferdad (03-03-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 03:10 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

This is my 4th Porsche, my 3rd, 911. I wouldn't go with frustrating. When I bought my first 911 20 years ago, yes, driving it on the street was frustrating. This quickly lead to me being a track junkie. That first 911 had modded suspension, brakes, safety systems, etc, so much so it was not even fun on the street anymore.

Move on to many years later, I bought this GT3. No need for mods for fun at the track, and STILL fun on the street! You guys watched Le Mans movie with Steve McQueen? What Porschephile hasn't, right? I drive my GT3 on the street just as calmly as McQueen does with his 911 on the roads, and enjoy it. On the track, it's still the same GT3, but is now driven like a beast. Best of both worlds!
Old 02-25-2022, 03:51 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

think it's the road you have.
on freeway , yes it's boring
but if you find the right road.... you don't have to go fast...
my test route.... if u are really really proficient track driver, you may be able to take some turns at 50mph.... sphincter tightening and new underwear buying experience....
FIND the road
The following 2 users liked this post by mooty:
911-140.6 (02-27-2022), areghovan (03-01-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Limey Hooligan
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I've had my GT3 for around 6 months now, and don't find it frustrating at all. When I was considering buying a 911, I was going back and forth between a Turbo or a GT. My local muscle car speed shop guy was pointing me towards the Turbo, saying he's used to the low end torque at take off and wasn't impressed with the GT3 because you have to wring them out for the power. He thought I'd be frustrated with it. I was taking his advice and almost got a Turbo, but in the end really wanted the GT3.

I haven't been disappointed, I think the car has plenty of grunt off the line and for around-town driving. I don't find it lacking in pulling power down low at all, sure it's not a wave of torque but perhaps because of the light weight it's not a factor for me. And once you do have an opportunity to wind it up... oh boy what a rush! So very happy with my choice 6 months later. All personal preference, of course.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:00 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Limey Hooligan
I've had my GT3 for around 6 months now, and don't find it frustrating at all. When I was considering buying a 911, I was going back and forth between a Turbo or a GT. My local muscle car speed shop guy was pointing me towards the Turbo, saying he's used to the low end torque at take off and wasn't impressed with the GT3 because you have to wring them out for the power. He thought I'd be frustrated with it. I was taking his advice and almost got a Turbo, but in the end really wanted the GT3.

I haven't been disappointed, I think the car has plenty of grunt off the line and for around-town driving. I don't find it lacking in pulling power down low at all, sure it's not a wave of torque but perhaps because of the light weight it's not a factor for me. And once you do have an opportunity to wind it up... oh boy what a rush! So very happy with my choice 6 months later. All personal preference, of course.
Yeah haha! All personal taste. That kick in the back and whoosh of the turbo is fun - but it’s always on tap. So you can always be at jail speeds - everywhere - and quickly. That to me is not frustrating but you get used to it easily. It becomes less special.

The GT3 on the other hand is a visceral thrill because you have to wait until you get a chance to really open it up on an empty back road or track. So the experience is much more special.

So if you eat pizza all the time for dinner then it isn’t special. Or drink the fanciest wine every day or whatever.

All valid opinions and good choices to have. Turbo or GT3 always will be better than some econobox!
Old 02-25-2022, 06:26 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,193 Likes on 575 Posts

Driving a GT3 is like a Beethoven symphony. It has slow movements, fast movements, in-between movements, but it is always thrilling and it leaves you wanting more.
The following 4 users liked this post by Porsche911GTS'16:
718spyder (02-26-2022), Drifting (02-27-2022), TheDangerZone (02-25-2022), Twinpower72 (02-26-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 03:19 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

many GT3 and 4
if I had to choose, it's always 3 > 4
there is no question
Old 03-01-2022, 08:56 PM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 48 Posts

If anyone wishes their GT3 was more "active" at lower speeds, they can always just take off the good tires and put on some half-worn all seasons or winter tires on it.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:46 AM
Wainscott
7th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently bought my very first sports car and also my very first Porsche - a 2018 GT3 touring. I have no experience with other sports cars. What drew me to the GT3 was its raw power. It is a "special occasion" every time I get behind the wheel. I don't look at my phone and don't play the stereo. I focus on my clutch work and shifting - no matter the speed. I'm not distracted by infotainment and relish the moment for what it is. I take pleasure knowing that this car is special to me and beyond grateful for all it is (including its flaws).
The following 5 users liked this post by Wainscott:
bk_911 (03-02-2022), Limey Hooligan (03-02-2022), Porsche911GTS'16 (03-03-2022), rhk118 (03-10-2022), UncleDude (05-31-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 11:51 AM
GTTROIS
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Wainscott
I recently bought my very first sports car and also my very first Porsche - a 2018 GT3 touring. I have no experience with other sports cars. What drew me to the GT3 was its raw power. It is a "special occasion" every time I get behind the wheel. I don't look at my phone and don't play the stereo. I focus on my clutch work and shifting - no matter the speed. I'm not distracted by infotainment and relish the moment for what it is. I take pleasure knowing that this car is special to me and beyond grateful for all it is (including its flaws).
Refreshing post!! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with the community.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:25 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Christian Plyler
If anyone wishes their GT3 was more "active" at lower speeds, they can always just take off the good tires and put on some half-worn all seasons or winter tires on it.
its very active. I have a route thats very tight, very tight even for my 73 hot rod and 914/6.
if I try to keep up with 914/6 on that route, it's quite fun, and you need to be ON....
that route is even fun in my CGT. I think my passenger about **** on his pants. and I was doing 45mph? or maybe slower.....
I tracked a lot 50-60days a year for 8+ years. and 30 day for another 6 years or so...
going fast isn't all there is too it.
your command of the car
the response of the car
the curves and vertical undulations of the road
the feel of the air
the fragrance of the morning dew

if you aren't getting all that, you didnt really drive. you merely just gone fast...

some ppl are in bad for 5 mins
others it's an entire day.....
The following 7 users liked this post by mooty:
bk_911 (03-03-2022), heshalosny (03-04-2022), ljmartyre (03-04-2022), slimmn (03-03-2022), spyderbret (03-03-2022), technivoro.us (03-03-2022), UncleDude (05-31-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-03-2022, 03:48 PM
toddjude
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had a .2 gt3 that I only drove on the street and I now have a .1 gt3 that was purchased with the idea of tracking it. I took it to COTA this weekend and it blew me away. I now have close to no desire to drive it on the street because you can't take the car to the limits like you can on the track. I'm trying to sort out what type of car I want for daily driving. Currently have an rs q8 but think it's getting traded for an f-150 so I can tow the gt3 to the track. I live in houston so weekend drives aren't as fun as what some of you guys get.
Old 03-03-2022, 08:08 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by toddjude
I've had a .2 gt3 that I only drove on the street and I now have a .1 gt3 that was purchased with the idea of tracking it. I took it to COTA this weekend and it blew me away. I now have close to no desire to drive it on the street because you can't take the car to the limits like you can on the track. I'm trying to sort out what type of car I want for daily driving. Currently have an rs q8 but think it's getting traded for an f-150 so I can tow the gt3 to the track. I live in houston so weekend drives aren't as fun as what some of you guys get.
Oh nice, which .1 were you in? There were more .1s out there than I've ever seen in recent years at COTA. I just met a guy there with a .2 that blew out his strut tower on those Houston roads, so I don't blame you for avoiding street driving in your area.

The .1 gets a lot of noses turned up to it on here but it's stellar on track...well until my cam position sensor crapped out on me in the 2nd session on Sunday. That kind of killed the "high" a little.

The following users liked this post:
ljmartyre (03-04-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 08:28 PM
toddjude
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jickel180
Oh nice, which .1 were you in? There were more .1s out there than I've ever seen in recent years at COTA. I just met a guy there with a .2 that blew out his strut tower on those Houston roads, so I don't blame you for avoiding street driving in your area.

The .1 gets a lot of noses turned up to it on here but it's stellar on track...well until my cam position sensor crapped out on me in the 2nd session on Sunday. That kind of killed the "high" a little.
Ah man that sucks to hear

i was 329 white as well running with the novice group. So much fun.

main reason I bought the .1 was to track it so I bought a 16 with 4 years left on the engine and 2 of cpo. It’s already had the engine replaced so
hopefully it holds up.

Quick Reply: That GT3 high - real value of this car