Sponsored by:

Torquing Center Lock w/Car on Ground

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 02:21 PM
bwhip
Rennlist Member

Received 602 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Hmm. Just googled torque multiplier. Something like this? https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...SAAEgIuYfD_BwE Anyone use this?

EDIT: NVM. Just read the reviews. There is no reading on the output torque, so this is simply a breaker tool. Not what we need. So.....Still looking for that $400 one. Where is it?
I bought this one last September, though it currently shows as unavailable from Amazon. Works great for me. It was $550, and seemed to be highly touted on Rennlist.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-20-2022, 04:16 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bwhip
I bought this one last September, though it currently shows as unavailable from Amazon. Works great for me. It was $550, and seemed to be highly touted on Rennlist.

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Torque-...ct_top?ie=UTF8
That's actually what I have currently. I was asking about that torque multiplier that supposedly costs around $400, not thousands.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:15 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
That's actually what I have currently. I was asking about that torque multiplier that supposedly costs around $400, not thousands.
Right, the one you found is similar to what I have, but mine is a 4X not a 3x multiplier. You want 4-6X. None of the multipliers come with a torque readout in these price ranges, maybe that's where you are having misunderstandings. You use your torque wrench on the input side to set the bolt, just divide by the multiple to read your setting, ie if you set for 480lbs then with a 4x multiplier you set your torque setting to 120 lbs- easy peasy.

Here's the Central Tools one that looks identical to the one I bought from Snap On a few years ago (not sure where it's made):

https://www.jbtools.com/central-tool...caAnP9EALw_wcB

this is a Williams model, only 3.6:1 but made in USA:

https://www.toolsource.com/torque-mu...-p-114023.html

And finally what it looks like in use (you will want to use a piece of wood under the reaction bar unless you like divots in your garage floor!):

Last edited by montoya; 01-20-2022 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:09 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by JGC
If you put a reasonable amount of preload onto the CL nut with the wheel still in the air prior to applying final torque with the wheel on the ground you will be fine. Put as much as you can on it by holding the tire and applying torque with a normal ratchet wrench, say 50 or 60 ft-lbs. That will have the conical face of the nut well engaged with the wheel. Final torque on the ground from there would be OK. That said, with the load on the interface from the vehicle weight you will not get the same preload between wheel and hub as you would doing final torque with the wheel in the air. In my engineering opinion, fine if you are caught short, but I'd follow Porsche recommendations if you can.
This is what the tech at the shop did on my car. He hand torqued them in the air, then lowered car and did final torque on the ground. I am going to re-torque them properly before my next track day though.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:34 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,738 Likes on 2,700 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
This is what the tech at the shop did on my car. He hand torqued them in the air, then lowered car and did final torque on the ground. I am going to re-torque them properly before my next track day though.
If the parking brake is on, then there is no reason not to fully torque the rears in the air (I do all 4 in the air, but only the fronts would be any easier on the ground).
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (04-21-2024)
Old 01-25-2022, 02:42 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by GrantG
If the parking brake is on, then there is no reason not to fully torque the rears in the air (I do all 4 in the air, but only the fronts would be any easier on the ground).
Yeah I don't know why he did it that way. I was there and didn't want to tell him how to do his job. But I asked him, "Hey so... doesn't Porsche instruct to torque them in the air?" And he said, "Yeah, but it's fine since I snugged them in the air and just doing the final torque, back-off, and re-torque on the ground is fine." I didn't argue with him but I didn't think it was ideal...
The following users liked this post:
GrantG (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 05:18 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Yeah I don't know why he did it that way. I was there and didn't want to tell him how to do his job. But I asked him, "Hey so... doesn't Porsche instruct to torque them in the air?" And he said, "Yeah, but it's fine since I snugged them in the air and just doing the final torque, back-off, and re-torque on the ground is fine." I didn't argue with him but I didn't think it was ideal...
I'd be interested to know if this is SOP at most dealerships, next time my car is in I definitely going to ask.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:20 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by tgibrit
I'd be interested to know if this is SOP at most dealerships, next time my car is in I definitely going to ask.
This wasn't the dealer. It was an independent Porsche shop. I've watched my dealer do it before and they do it 100% in the air.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:35 AM
Dreamer99
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick question here on a new set of track wheels. Should I be checking the wheel torque after the first install since they are brand new? Maybe go do a quick rip on the highway first, then do the back off 60' and retorque procedure?

And from what I read here always do it with the wheel in the air.
Old 04-21-2024, 03:19 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,738 Likes on 2,700 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamer99
Quick question here on a new set of track wheels. Should I be checking the wheel torque after the first install since they are brand new? Maybe go do a quick rip on the highway first, then do the back off 60' and retorque procedure?

And from what I read here always do it with the wheel in the air.
No, once torqued properly (torque to 600Nm, loosen slightly, re-torque to 600Nm) you never need to check again.

Yes, I always loosen and tighten with wheels in the air.
The following 2 users liked this post by GrantG:
Dreamer99 (04-21-2024), Larry Cable (04-21-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 06:13 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,372 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by ddugas01
Is it best to torque in the air? Yes
is it ok to torque on the ground? Yes
Does porsche recommend slicks? No
Do we put slicks on? Yes
Does Porsche recommend screwing around with the PSMS? No
Do we? Yes

Lets face it guys, Porsche is going to set rules that they know we wont follow so they're protected in a liability lawsuit.

Everyone who owns a GT car should know how to change a center lock wheel by themselves. Unless you carry around some stupid brake holder and steering wheel lock mechanism, you torque on the ground. I’ve changed my wheels this way well over a 100 times. I track the crap out if my car. Don't waste your money on some fancy device. Buy a torque wrench and get to it.
I'm not a fan of CLs but I do have them on 2 cars and while you may not consider this "changing a center lock wheel by themselves" but I do have a wife and she doesn't mind coming out to the garage twice for about 30 seconds each to get into the car and hold the brake pedal while I torque the front wheels down (in the air). The rears can be done with the parking brake/in gear. If I were to do a wheel change at a track day or something, I could find 10 volunteers quite easily just by asking. So I don't have a clamp but I do have the rest of the tools and always follow Porsche's instructions. A bit of a pain but not that big a deal in the end.

I will say I am tempted to remove them with my latest cordless DeWalt impact gun (DCF961) which has 1750 ft lbs of breakaway torque - but so far have resisted the temptation. It probably would mess up the centerlock tool's mounting hole after a bit as those anvil hits in that thing are no joke.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:02 AM
JGC
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP

I will say I am tempted to remove them with my latest cordless DeWalt impact gun (DCF961) which has 1750 ft lbs of breakaway torque - but so far have resisted the temptation. It probably would mess up the centerlock tool's mounting hole after a bit as those anvil hits in that thing are no joke.
Unless you want the endurance race car battered and chipped CL look, I would strongly recommend NOT to do this!
Old 04-25-2024, 10:21 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,372 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by JGC
Unless you want the endurance race car battered and chipped CL look, I would strongly recommend NOT to do this!
Yeah, I’m not actually planning to do it - even though it would be cool to imitate an F1 pit crew!

Quick Reply: Torquing Center Lock w/Car on Ground