Sponsored by:

Ecliptech Shift P2 installed in 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 10:54 PM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Ecliptech Shift P2 installed in 991 GT3

I am terrible at videos but I figured it is worth noting to all that installing this thing can be done. I'm mildly mechanically inclined and while my install wasn't fantastic, it seems to be working. I've not tried it on the track - that will be in 2 weeks. The basic idea is to notify me with flashing lights well before redline that I have to upshift. Yes, I've got a 6 speed.

Device is: https://ecliptech.com.au/shift-p2/
Also need: https://www.torqued.io/cartek-obd2-c...verter-adapter
  • Without this, there is no way that I know of to get RPM signal (short of adding a sensor and wire somewhere in the engine compartment). This device is much easier. Some threads point to using a wire directly out of the OBDII on the 997 but I am 99% sure that that isn't possible on the 991.
Now, yes, Cartech also makes a shift light. Same place sells it. However, I read reviews and it seems the Ecliptech is just more user friendly/easier to program and I did find it very capable and easy to use.

The following 2 users liked this post by srwhitman:
CarmineGT3 (01-13-2022), Seth Thomas (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 12:26 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 307 Posts

Great video, it's nice to know there's an OBDII adaptor that works now with the P2. I've had mine a couple of years now. A buddy of mine was a tech at the local dealer and he wired it into the main harness in the rear compartment for me. I turn it off on track when I'm in auto mode but I like it on the street in manual mode as bouncing off the rev limiter is irritating as hell.​​​​​​​
Old 05-16-2022, 01:41 PM
lisocayman
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Thank you to the OP, I installed mine right before this weekends track event. The video was helpful, I only needed to tap one empty fuse slot with a 15 amp fuse. The entire setup is easy to remove after a track event by passing the unit through the steering column, Really nice addition for the track at a very reasonable price. Took about 2 weeks to get the unit from AU.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:42 PM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Yup! No problem. I've used it on track a number of times. You have to make sure to calibrate the RPM. I would suggest disconnecting form OBDII port unless you leave car on a battery tender. It will drain the battery (well, very mildly but still - you know how temperamental these cars are). So if you take it out of the port, you have to recalibrate but fortunately thats only once at beginning of the day. I set my last red light to 8800 as I want to know *before* I hit redline. I find this works well. I also didn't realize a few turns where I didn't have time to look at the tach turn 3-4 at COTA for instance - where I would hit the redline just before the bridge. I now shift into 4th. Same coming out of T18-19.

Quick Reply: Ecliptech Shift P2 installed in 991 GT3