Sponsored by:

Michelin Cup 2's

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 07:56 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by atlrvr
It's been high 20's to low 30's here most mornings since mid-December and I had Cups 2's on my Touring and was exhausting to drive (I commute 15 miles on interstate with limited traffic). I switched to PS4S just last week and can't believe I didn't do it last year.
Keep an eye on those tread blocks:

"Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."

Taken from the PS4S description:

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/descrip...Yellow+Caliper

Old 01-14-2022, 09:14 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 965 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Plyler
Blah blah blah glass transition yada yada yada. Yeah, they become harder, but they're still just hard rubber. They don't literally turn into actual glass. And we've got a lot of rubber on the asphalt with these cars, so even when they're ice cold there is still more grip than grandma's Corola or something like that. Don't try to get all crazy teenager, but for just regular cruising around on public streets they're perfectly adequate. It's not like you're going to go flying into the ditch just pulling out of your driveway.
Right, spare this guy the details.

Maybe we should set the bar higher than successfully pulling out of the driveway.

At or near highway speeds, wet roads, winter temps, and an emergency stop scenario, you'll wish you had grandma's Corolla.

If you've never felt the point at which summer tires become "just hard rubber," then it's easy to be cavalier on the subject. They are laughably incapable.

Try them in your driveway with 1/8" of snow and go from there.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:36 AM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

Don't risk it. Summer tires shouldn't be used under 40 degrees because it will lessen your grip and increase your stopping distance as the rubber gets harder. I tried to push michelin summer tires and limp through the winter a couple of years ago and ended up in a deep ditch on the side of the road. Wasn't driving or braking aggressively. Only going about 35mph onto an on ramp. I was being extremely gingerly with inputs and the car went straight instead of gently to the right.

Cracked the front bumper and bent the exhaust. Correct tires would've been much cheaper than what i had to pay to fix. Wasn't with a porsche but the same principle applies.

Last edited by eviligloo; 01-14-2022 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:33 AM
CSLSuperfan
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Angelus666
Hi all, I've been running my 991.1 RS on 2020 Cup 2's since I bought the car in November, and I was expected to urgently need to change these given the reputation for being 'lethal' in the cold or wet. Well, given we are in mid January (UK weather is 5-8 degrees and rain every other day) I haven't had any particular scary moment yet, I'm not saying they are the grippiest tyres in this weather, but they aren't as bad as the reputation might lead you to believe. I was going to chuck on 4s's up until March but I'm thinking I might just hold off and see how things go.

Be interested to read others experience.
Is this the UV RS on 911UK??
Great colour. It was the standout livery in 2016. Cup 2's are fine for all year driving. One caveat : leave the car on the drive if there's any level of snowfall!!
Old 01-16-2022, 08:57 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 457 Likes on 237 Posts

I have first hand experience with Cup 2s in snow. A couple of years ago in February I was driving home from my dealer after having the CF steering wheel fitted to my 2019 RS WP. It was hovering just above freezing and it was fairly dry when I left the dealership. However after a few miles driving on a very busy three lane motorway it started raining torrentially . My RS was aquaplaning constantly and I slowed down to the middle lane and proceeded cautiously until the unthinkable happened !
Out of nowhere we suddenly hit 4-5'' of slushy snow with none falling at the time to give us prior warning. All three lanes were very busy and the first cars decided to panic and slam the brakes on forcing all following traffic to follow suit including yours truly. Trouble is my RS was shod with stone cold Cup 2s and despite my steadiest braking the car just slid like an ice skater !. The cars in front were slowing at a far faster rate than I was and as I managed to get the RS down to 15-20mph I faced an imminent rear end impact on the car in front of me. In a split second decision I concluded it was better to swing the RS towards the central reservation hoping the kerb would stop me unscathed. It did but the front driver's side corner bumper hit the crash barrier. The damage was purely cosmetic but as the force chipped both the CF front wing and bonnet both had to be replaced as well.
It cost the insurance company a pretty penny due to Carbon Fibre but I'm pretty confident if I was on MP4Ss the collision would have been avoided, To recap, in any snow there is hardly any braking ability on any car shod with Cup 2s no matter what anyone tells you. You have to experience it first hand which is quite something.

Quick Reply: Michelin Cup 2's