Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Picking your brain for my GT3 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 01:59 AM
typehxr1
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by catdog2
That's a huge difference in mileage, the first 20k miles, when car feels nice and tight...

Chalk is a very special color until one day you wake up and look at it for what it is a shallow vapid neutral non-color and thereafter can unlook that... the definition of eternal boredom

Black can be a pain but you get a full PPF and it will be beautiful and deep and easy to take care of...

Iron brakes vs. PCCBs, there are advantages and drawbacks to each, just make a choice and live with it. For $3.5k you can get an entire new set of brakes and pads vs. worrying about the % left on a pccb car with close to 20k miles...

Got to get the bucket seats on a GT car, no if's and's or but's about it... most important connection to car and otherwise...

red instruments I would have liked the regular color but the black red accents in the black one add a certain flair

most importantly just see how you feel when you walk towards and away from each, the one that tugs your heart strings more is the one to get and if neither do then just hold off a little longer

and yikes on the prices, maybe wait six months and see what happens ...
lots of good bits here—thank you. I felt like Neo when Morpheus offered the red/blue pill to him in The Matrix when you were talking about the chalk color!

I haven’t had black in a while and l have, admittedly, been getting apprehensive about my OCD for swirls, etc. That being said, PPF didn’t exist the last time I had a black vehicle, so I imagine I’ll be doing full-body PPF on the black.

Last edited by typehxr1; 01-01-2022 at 02:08 AM.
Old 01-01-2022, 02:00 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by atlrvr
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1282073

If you're looking to buy from a dealer, you can probably find a Porsche dealer to facilitate the sale, maybe even CPO it for $4k.
Beautiful car, white is perfect on GT3...
that maybe op's best option...
The following users liked this post:
SantaFePorsche (01-02-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 02:12 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 846 Likes on 443 Posts

That's a huge difference in mileage, the first 20k miles, when car feels nice and tight...

Chalk is a very special color until one day you wake up and look at it for what it is a shallow vapid neutral non-color and thereafter can unlook that... the definition of eternal boredom

Black can be a pain but you get a full PPF and it will be beautiful and deep and easy to take care of...

Iron brakes vs. PCCBs, there are advantages and drawbacks to each, just make a choice and live with it. For $3.5k you can get an entire new set of brakes and pads vs. worrying about the % left on a pccb car with close to 20k miles...

Got to get the bucket seats on a GT car, no if's and's or but's about it... most important connection to car and otherwise...

red instruments I would have liked the regular color but the black red accents in the black one add a certain flair

most importantly just see how you feel when you walk towards and away from each, the one that tugs your heart strings more is the one to get and if neither do then just hold off a little longer

and yikes on the prices, maybe wait six months and see what happens ...
my car feels as tight at 20k miles as it was at 5k, even smoother, I don't track it tho
typehxr1 (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 02:12 AM
typehxr1
Advanced

Beautiful car, white is perfect on GT3...
that maybe op's best option...
I ran across this one today as well. Glad to see the listing here and at a lower price than what I saw it listed for on Autotrader.
Old 01-01-2022, 01:39 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by typehxr1
I prefer the aesthetic of the 991.2. To the overarching theme of your logic about just buying new, I don't disagree. In the same breath, however, why pay that much over sticker for the new one? It's the same thing-ish, no?
If my last sentence sounded abrasive that was not my intent. However new vs 4 year old is no where near the same (aesthetics aside). Maintenance, for example, is based on miles and age, and thus at ~4 years, I would expect the black car to have had 2-4 oil changes, 2 brake flushes, at least 1 set of spark plugs changed probably due for second, and the drive belt is due for change. Tires probably have a shelf life of ~5 years, so they may be due for change soon based on date stamp etc.

I understand the allure of low miles, and maybe it is truly like new, but consistently, thinks break down on Porsches almost as frequently based on age vs miles and thus you may be starting 4 years sooner on the curve to major repairs.
The following 2 users liked this post by Deven:
Palting (01-03-2022), typehxr1 (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 01:48 PM
typehxr1
Advanced

12 to 7 so far in favor of the chalk. Why? 9 months of warranty, PCCBs, and color preference?
Old 01-01-2022, 02:17 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

I wouldn't buy a used car with PCCB from anyone except a close friend without getting a dealer to do the density test using the Carboteq. And I'd make sure they did it right - rotors off the car. Would be part of the PPI and thus PPI must be done at dealer on PCCB car (for me).
The following 2 users liked this post by tstafford:
catdog2 (01-01-2022), typehxr1 (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 04:36 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,102 Likes on 2,122 Posts

Difficult decision. Buckets are favored for me as I do think they transform the driving experience. The PCCBs though on the chalk car would be an advantage for me from a cleaning perspective. Miles don't matter much to me, condition is what matters to me. Not sure I can really decide on this one. But if I had to, I'd take the chalk car if the PCCBs checked out as good. It's a considerable price difference.
typehxr1 (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 05:21 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

Don't let people scare you about must have PCCB and bucket seats. If you've never gotten in and out of bucket seats please go try that first before you do it. They are a pain. I agree that they make it feel special but i've known several people that hated them because either they don't fit well in them (too short or proportioned differently) or they hate being a gymnast to get in an out of a car paris hilton style.

As for PCCB i don't get why everyone is obsessed with them. It's like having a time bomb on your car. All you need is a rock in one of them and you're looking at a $7k rotor. Your rotational mass is a little lighter but it does not make you stop any shorter. Just less brake fade. Check out all the porsches that do track days and count the number that are running PCCB's. Almost nobody. The steel brakes are the way to go (my opinion. YMMV).
typehxr1 (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 07:18 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 210 Posts

Even if these two cars cost the same, assuming a PPI / DME report / PCCB exam was clean and the car drove "as new" and is cosmetically in good shape, I would go with the Chalk example. Great color, more tolerant of swirls and dirt, and looks super with the black OEM wheels. Also prefer PCCB feel / stopping power over the steels; and for the road the 18-way seats are more comfortable than the buckets which look cool and fit well but are not adjustable, prevent access to the rear, are a PITA to get in and out of on a near-daily basis. Personally, the all red gauges are too much of a good thing- if just the tach or sport chrono, fine but there's at least a couple of forum members who have grown tired of the red dials.
typehxr1 (01-01-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 09:51 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,102 Likes on 2,122 Posts

Originally Posted by eviligloo
Don't let people scare you about must have PCCB and bucket seats. If you've never gotten in and out of bucket seats please go try that first before you do it. They are a pain. I agree that they make it feel special but i've known several people that hated them because either they don't fit well in them (too short or proportioned differently) or they hate being a gymnast to get in an out of a car paris hilton style.

As for PCCB i don't get why everyone is obsessed with them. It's like having a time bomb on your car. All you need is a rock in one of them and you're looking at a $7k rotor. Your rotational mass is a little lighter but it does not make you stop any shorter. Just less brake fade. Check out all the porsches that do track days and count the number that are running PCCB's. Almost nobody. The steel brakes are the way to go (my opinion. YMMV).
I understand your sentiment on buckets. For some, they may have a hard time getting in and out. For those people I'd recommend bolster protectors so that they have to be less concerned with getting in and out. But it will still be difficult for some. Once you're in them I find them very comfortable. However, like you recommend, everyone should sit in them prior to buying. Reason why is everyone thinks the 997 GT2 folding buckets are great but they sit too high. Many people will complain about this and for taller drivers, your knees will hit the steering wheel and your head may touch the roof. So while they're great for some and many prefer them, I can't use them until I find a solution to both lower the seat itself and get thinner foam. While there are options, I'm not willing to take a $10k gamble until I can sit in a set for them with those modifications myself. The problems I am describing above applies to the 997 GT2 folding buckets, not the 991 light weight fixed buckets that the OP is looking at above.

The PCCBs are nice for two reasons: brake dust and no rust on rotors after wash. The $5k/rotor replacement cost is very expensive but provided you don't drop a wheel on them, you should be fine. I wouldn't rule out a PCCB car as you can always replace with iron rotors if you didn't want to replace the ceramics if something happened to them. Would prefer not to use PCCBs on track due to the replacement cost. Yes, the new 991 PCCBs are better, but the irons are the way to go for track use. Many people however think the PCCBs are best for the track. They are, but with a race team budget.
typehxr1 (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 05:11 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

Another consideration for LWB is if you are tall and do any racing. Because of the lack of adjustability with LWB you might need to get seat adjusters in order to fit with a helmet on which leans your seat back at a really awkward angle. I hated the angle I had to sit at.

That's if you are planning on racing it. If it's for street use or if you are shorter.
typehxr1 (01-05-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 09:26 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm not fond of chalk at all, so I voted for the black. Although you say price doesn't scare you, it should because that black is way overpriced for what features it has, even in todays current crazy market.
The following 2 users liked this post by Palting:
Frozen.M5GT3 (01-08-2022), typehxr1 (01-05-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 09:43 AM
typehxr1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Palting
I'm not fond of chalk at all, so I voted for the black. Although you say price doesn't scare you, it should because that black is way overpriced for what features it has, even in todays current crazy market.
It’s in line with everything else available in manual at this time (got them down some, but still above $210k) What is it missing other than PCCBs? Asking because I don’t know….
Old 01-03-2022, 10:00 AM
PorscheRuss
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I voted for the black but solely based on color. But for the money, if you like the color, the chalk is a better deal. The black one is priced high because of the low mileage premium. Even another 5k miles and it could be as much as 10k lower, I think.
typehxr1 (01-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Picking your brain for my GT3 purchase