Sponsored by:

Surface Transforms Rotors Installed on GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 02:00 AM
CX_GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Surface Transforms Rotors Installed on GT3RS

About 2-3 months ago, I created a thread asking opinions for track day brake upgrades. It was between AP, PFC, and the Surface Transforms.

I went with the ST's primarily for the low-brake dust and just like the characteristics of any CCB's for that matter. The rotors were purchased used and it has been resurfaced one time; the pad of choice is Pagid RSL1's as I heard it brings a very controllable bite as well as modulation.

Reasons why I didn't choose the AP's or the PFC's. The AP's are probably the best choice for running cost/simplicity when changing pads/performance. However, I never thought of the OEM calipers on these cars are lacking in anyways; sure the AP definitely is a step up but I still chose the CCB's over AP. I haven't had a chance to try out the PFC's in person so I can't really judge how much better it is over the AP system, but it definitely was the most "motorsport" looking system of the three. If I were to get a steel brake system, PFC would be my choice.

I will keep this thread updated on the performance as well as the longevity of the ST + RSL1 setup once I get a chance to hit the track.

The following users liked this post:
Haolin1307 (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 02:02 AM
CX_GT3
Rennlist Member

And yes, she's ready for the snow with some new winter boots
The following users liked this post:
Haolin1307 (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 10:22 AM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts

I’d be interested in what service length looks like before these need resurfacing. I have a 2916 GT3 with around 60 track days in the original PCCB rotors. Third set of pads. Prior owner is a very quick driver, he put most of those days on the car (I’ve had it since September).

Car passed CPO but I don’t have the carbon readings, rotors are still visually fine and functional. I’m honestly blown away there are that robust. I’m curious how the STs compare.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:05 AM
Jony++
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm also curious about the result. My GT3RS has steel discs, and I was wondering if the upgrade to surface transforms makes sense.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by dsteding
I’d be interested in what service length looks like before these need resurfacing. I have a 2916 GT3 with around 60 track days in the original PCCB rotors. Third set of pads. Prior owner is a very quick driver, he put most of those days on the car (I’ve had it since September).

Car passed CPO but I don’t have the carbon readings, rotors are still visually fine and functional. I’m honestly blown away there are that robust. I’m curious how the STs compare.
Originally Posted by Jony++
I'm also curious about the result. My GT3RS has steel discs, and I was wondering if the upgrade to surface transforms makes sense.
finally we might have someone actually able to carry out a real experiment to determine the track days lifetime of CCB rotors (albeit ST and not PCCB) ... 60 days is pretty good!
Old 11-24-2021, 08:56 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
finally we might have someone actually able to carry out a real experiment to determine the track days lifetime of CCB rotors (albeit ST and not PCCB) ... 60 days is pretty good!
Depends on the track... 60 is a lot, must be minimal high speed braking zones. 2-40 is the norm. As per ST, still going strong, lighter, and run cooler... ST fan boy admitted.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:00 PM
dsteding
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by M3the01
Depends on the track... 60 is a lot, must be minimal high speed braking zones. 2-40 is the norm. As per ST, still going strong, lighter, and run cooler... ST fan boy admitted.
Those 60 days were at Pacific, the Ridge, ORP, PIR and a few other places. The car was owned by the current local PCA chief instructor, he’s damn quick and a terrific driver. Plenty of 150 mph down to 60 ish braking zones, or 120 down to 40.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by M3the01
2... 2 ... 2.... that I just do not believe unless they were installed on the U.S.S Enterprise (1701) and used to drop out of warp ...
Old 11-24-2021, 09:36 PM
CX_GT3
Rennlist Member

Just somewhat finished the bedding in the procedure, honestly speaking... this combination gave me the best modulation control of any brake setups I have experienced on a GT3 platform. The linear progressive bite allows you to have total control over how much you want to slow down for; initial bite, medium force, threshold braking... you name it...

I have had Girodisc paired with Ferodo 1.11's and 3.12's as well as OEM PCCB with Pagid RSC1's. I can't really comment on how the bite feels compared with Girodisc's since I haven't had a chance to go on track yet, but will definitely update on this thread once I have more experience with the setup.

As for comparisons with AP, I have not had a chance to drive a GT3 with AP's though I have had driven a C7 Z06 with the AP's on the track... and I gotta say, the modulation/pedal firmness of the ST's is truly on point with the AP... but this is on the street... so I'm going to hold off on that until I get some seat time on track.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:53 PM
Sgtfluffy16
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dsteding

My car was CPOed before i purchased as well. I know that the previous owner of my car tracked it but unknown on how much or how hard it was tracked.
from an oldtimer i meet at PITTrace he said the secret to keeping the PCCB rotors in good shape is replacing the brake pads a 2/3rd their life. so i have been following that rule and im happy so far

Originally Posted by Jony++
i do plan to go with Surface Transform when replacement is needed. i like that they can be refurbished. that is attractive to me with significant cost savings

Quick Reply: Surface Transforms Rotors Installed on GT3RS