Old 10-15-2021, 08:54 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 634 Likes on 356 Posts
Default New Video! AP Racing by Essex Brakes vs. Stock Porsche GT3 Brakes

Happy Friday Gents,

Our AP Racing by Essex brake products have become the recognized standard among Porsche GT Car owners who are serious about tracking their car. Why? Because we've been able to improve upon the factory brakes in every conceivable manner, including convenience, fade resistance, longevity, weight reduction, wheel fitment, and long-term running costs. These improvements translate into faster lap times, fewer problems and headaches, substantial financial benefits, and more fun at the track!

In the video below we take a deep dive into the technical nuances of our brake system to show you how and why they're able to offer such a dramatic improvement over the stock brakes. Grab some popcorn and watch the whole video or skip to the section that is most relevant to you by using the timeline guide below.

Also of note for those of you adding a 992 GT3 to your fleet, our brake kit for that car is designed and in production. We’ll be posting more info on that kit in the 992 GT3 section here on Rennlist.

Thanks for watching and a huge thank you to all our GT3 clients for your continued support!

0:00 - Which vehicles do our AP Racing Brakes fit?

1:53 - A Le Mans-winning AP Radi-CAL Brake Solution

3:06 - AP Racing Radi-CAL vs. OEM Front Caliper

4:11 - Front Caliper Weight Comparison

5:15 - Caliper Finish Comparison

6:46 - Ease of Changing Pads

9:52 - Pad Tension Kits

10:39 - Brake Pad Shape and Size Comparison

13:01 - Caliper Piston and Seal Comparison

19:40 - Crossover Tubes vs Internal Fluid Pathways

21:31 - Brake Torque and Differential Piston Bores

23:50 - Rear Caliper Comparison

25:02 - Essex Lifetime Recertification Program

27:15 - AP Racing 2-piece J Hook Disc Comparison to OEM

29:22 - Mounting Hardware and Float

30:44 - Disc Hat/Bell Design

32:47 - Disc Weight Comparison

34:20 - Disc Internal Vane Comparison

36:04 - J Hooks vs. Drilled Holes

38:27 - Metallurgy and Crack Resistance

39:19 - Disc Burnishing/Bedding

41:06 - Replacement Iron Prices

41:52 - Caliper Mounting Brackets

43:06 - Spiegler SS Brake Lines

45:52 - Wheel Fitment

47:13 - Installation Instructions

48:14 - Long-term Value Proposition / Investment

50:08 - Customer Support

51:00 - 2-piece J Hook Discs for Stock Calipers

52:33 - Summary and Conclusions

53:23 - Customer Car Photos and Feedback

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 10-15-2021 at 08:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JRitt@essex:
DiscoWagon (10-15-2021), itrsteve (10-17-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 03:01 PM
DiscoWagon
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 94 Posts

Great video, very informative!!
The following users liked this post:
JRitt@essex (10-15-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 08:41 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 623 Likes on 381 Posts

Great video, Jeff. Loved the hands-on closeups for all the hardware.

Last edited by Mech33; 10-17-2021 at 02:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JRitt@essex (10-18-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 10:28 AM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

This is very timely for me. Clark at Apex Performance Shipped my full set out on Friday. I have the AP kit on my 2009 Cayman S and love it. I installed the kit on the Cayman myself, and it was very straightforward.
These brakes on my Cayman have transformed the confidence I have on the track. I have only had about 5 track days on them so far, and I'm still getting used to how much deeper I can go before braking. My Cayman is a half step from being a full race car and not a street legal.

Picked up my 2019 GT3 RS 3 weeks ago and choose to put this kit on. I have not tracked the RS yet, but I knew I wanted to get this kit before I did.
The PCCB's will go on the shelf, I will decide later if I will sell them, or keep them to put the car back to stock late or sell them. My RS will be seeing a lot of track time!

I've only watched about 10 minutes of the video because of what's going on around me, but so far it's some great info. Also, my wife drives as much as I do, she does not do much of the maintenance but I want her to watch this with me to get a better understanding of what goes into making these brakes so good. She loves them on the Cayman.

This is going to be an adventure.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:50 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Surfndav
This is very timely for me. Clark at Apex Performance Shipped my full set out on Friday. I have the AP kit on my 2009 Cayman S and love it. I installed the kit on the Cayman myself, and it was very straightforward.
These brakes on my Cayman have transformed the confidence I have on the track. I have only had about 5 track days on them so far, and I'm still getting used to how much deeper I can go before braking. My Cayman is a half step from being a full race car and not a street legal.

Picked up my 2019 GT3 RS 3 weeks ago and choose to put this kit on. I have not tracked the RS yet, but I knew I wanted to get this kit before I did.
The PCCB's will go on the shelf, I will decide later if I will sell them, or keep them to put the car back to stock late or sell them. My RS will be seeing a lot of track time!

I've only watched about 10 minutes of the video because of what's going on around me, but so far it's some great info. Also, my wife drives as much as I do, she does not do much of the maintenance but I want her to watch this with me to get a better understanding of what goes into making these brakes so good. She loves them on the Cayman.

This is going to be an adventure.
Awesome! I'm glad you've been so pleased with our brake kit on your Cayman, and thank you so much for your continued support. Confidence is a word that constantly pops up in our client reviews. It's hard for people to understand the difference until they feel it firsthand. Added confidence can be transformative to lap times when you get into the zone and are simply focused on taking your brake marker two feet forward with each lap. What's really fun is seeing how you can suck cars ahead of you up under braking. You watch for their brake lights...wait...wait...then you're reeling them in and on their bumper exiting the turn. We see this all the time in the customer-submitted race videos on our blog.

Huge congrats on the 3RS...That thing is going to feel like 'warp-drive engaged' compared to your 987! I think you're making the wise move with your PCCBs. We've never had anyone in the history of our brake kit program say, "Gee, I wish had those PCCBs back." Earlier this year we had a 3RS owner destroy his PCCB in three track days and a handful of street miles. His local dealer wanted $30k for fresh pads and discs. It's just not worth the risk if you're tracking the car, and you still have to deal with the stock calipers. Shelve those puppies until it's time to sell the car.

Also very cool on your wife getting in on the fun. My wife autoX'd her dad's 911 a little bit as a teenager, and is an excellent driver overall. Up until we needed a larger kid hauler, we only ever had manual tranny cars in our household. She still enjoys the occasional jaunt in my Porsches. I unfortunately can't get her to participate in Drivers Ed, however. After dealing with her dad as a PCA club racer for many years, and having me work in the industry, she's become more or less numb to the whole 'car thing'. As soon as she hears anything car-related, her eyes glaze over as she retreats to her happy place. Oops!
Old 08-16-2023, 12:46 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We've been getting a lot of comments recently about this technical video comparing our brake systems vs. the OEM setup. I thought I'd bump this one up for those who missed it the first time. Thanks for your continued support gents!

Quick Reply: New Video! AP Racing by Essex Brakes vs. Stock Porsche GT3 Brakes