Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailex enclosed, 991 GT3 and Cayenne Diesel owners!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2021 | 01:33 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Just get one of these, easy on, easy off, no ramps.
Old 09-25-2021 | 01:43 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

I smoked the tranny on my Suburban towing my boat which weighted over 8K. I learned the hard way. Change your tranny fluid often. I did the CS recently at just 32K. An easy DIY service and boy does it shift smoother.
Old 09-25-2021 | 04:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

open trailer: fine with CD
enclosed: ok. but not ideal. short distance no problem. 500 miles I wont do it
I towed with above but also 2500 diesel truck. 3500 (1ton) diesel truck and 3500 dually.
if an a88hole cut u off and you have to full ABS... you IMMEDIATELY understand why you can never had a truck that's too big.
but life isn't always perfect. depending on your use and frequency as well as distance....
Old 09-25-2021 | 08:31 AM
jorligan
Instructor

If you are open to other brands, I would consider ATC or Aluma. I have an enclosed Aluma with extra height in which I tow a variety of cars including the GT3. Use a 2018 Ford Raptor with no issues. Weight distribution hitch since the Raptor has a very soft suspension. Previously towed same trailer with 2017 F-150 Lariat with no issues, towed from MI to UT and also up to Jackson Hole WY.
Old 09-25-2021 | 08:48 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by jorligan
If you are open to other brands, I would consider ATC or Aluma. I have an enclosed Aluma with extra height in which I tow a variety of cars including the GT3. Use a 2018 Ford Raptor with no issues. Weight distribution hitch since the Raptor has a very soft suspension. Previously towed same trailer with 2017 F-150 Lariat with no issues, towed from MI to UT and also up to Jackson Hole WY.
I have had a very poor experience with my aluma. Id go trailex all day
Old 09-25-2021 | 05:03 PM
terryb
Rennlist Member

@SmokinGTS I really like the concept of the Futura and did see one at WSIR this past weekend. Owner loved it and was pulling with the same CD as mine. Yes, I just had all the CD drivetrain fluids changed @45k miles. A couple questions about your Futura setup:

Spare trailer tires? I see on their options page they offer one that is mounted underneath. Workable? Do you only carry one spare?
The rock guard looks like it would behave as an air dam. Is there a big aero downside to this flat configuration vs an open Trailex with the V fabric guard?
I don't see locking tool box or fuel jug container options. Have you found that to be a problem?
Your mid-engine Cayman is all the way forward. Would a GT3 have trouble getting forward enough for proper tongue weight?
What do you use to weigh the tongue weight? How do you weigh the trailer?

@mooty Thanks for chiming in! I totally get it about safety and don't want to be "that guy" that ended up in, or worse, caused a really bad situation. I did run into an a88hole once on an LA freeway that seemed upset that I was in a Porsche towing a Porsche and brake checked me. It was close and not a great feeling. One of the reasons that an enclosed was appealing was to diminish some of this attention and perceived "showing off." I'm in San Diego so most of my tows are to WSIR, CVR, and BW PCASDR events which can approach 500 mi round trip.

Old 09-25-2021 | 08:09 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Just get one of these, easy on, easy off, no ramps.
Do you ever tow your 718 Clubsport and have to stay overnight at a hotel somewhere? I would love to have a Cup or Clubsport in the future but no door locks and long distance trips with an open trailer wouldn't let me get any sleep.
The following users liked this post:
SmokinGTS (09-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2021 | 12:58 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by terryb
@SmokinGTS I really like the concept of the Futura and did see one at WSIR this past weekend. Owner loved it and was pulling with the same CD as mine. Yes, I just had all the CD drivetrain fluids changed @45k miles. A couple questions about your Futura setup:

Spare trailer tires? I see on their options page they offer one that is mounted underneath. Workable? Do you only carry one spare?
The rock guard looks like it would behave as an air dam. Is there a big aero downside to this flat configuration vs an open Trailex with the V fabric guard?
I don't see locking tool box or fuel jug container options. Have you found that to be a problem?
Your mid-engine Cayman is all the way forward. Would a GT3 have trouble getting forward enough for proper tongue weight?

@mooty Thanks for chiming in! I totally get it about safety and don't want to be "that guy" that ended up in, or worse, caused a really bad situation. I did run into an a88hole once on an LA freeway that seemed upset that I was in a Porsche towing a Porsche and brake checked me. It was close and not a great feeling. One of the reasons that an enclosed was appealing was to diminish some of this attention and perceived "showing off." I'm in San Diego so most of my tows are to WSIR, CVR, and BW PCASDR events which can approach 500 mi round trip.
Terry
The spare is located under the trailer, I also carry a bottle of flat fix just in case. I always have a nitrogen bottle onboard so no problem with air.

Rock guard is a drag for sure but it keeps the rocks and sand from blasting the front of the car. You can buy a lot of fuel for the price of a windshield.

The trailer has a locking tool box that has the battery and winch. There are no fuel bottle holders but I just use bungies to D rings.

You have loading options, with my car I nose in but you could back in. My wing interferes with the tire rack but with a GT3 that shouldn't be a problem.

Old 09-26-2021 | 01:05 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jickel180
Do you ever tow your 718 Clubsport and have to stay overnight at a hotel somewhere? I would love to have a Cup or Clubsport in the future but no door locks and long distance trips with an open trailer wouldn't let me get any sleep.
It is always a worry at Hotels. I use a full car cover with a lock, out of sight out of mind. You can't open the doors unless you remove the fenders, so this also helps. Not sure what they would take if they got inside. I am more concerned with the spare sets of wheels and tires on the rack.
The following users liked this post:
Jickel180 (09-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2021 | 03:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by terryb

in that case, I would get an enclosed Trailex and call it a day. there are no real hills for you.
if you come north, grapevine may be tougher and pull up the entry hill at laguna seca is not easy (dually 1 ton with 38' gooseneck and a cup car)

Old 09-26-2021 | 12:07 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Like the Jonny cash song..."I've been everywhere man".
X5M might be a bit better tow vehicle, bit I don't see why a CD can't do long trips through the mountains , etc.

VIR

Last edited by ShakeNBake; 09-26-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-26-2021 | 05:03 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Nice trip, I would love to run those tracks. It would be a 10,000 mile round trip for me.
Old 09-27-2021 | 10:43 AM
TET GT3
Racer

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Like the Jonny cash song..."I've been everywhere man".
X5M might be a bit better tow vehicle, bit I don't see why a CD can't do long trips through the mountains , etc.

VIR
Good pics. The axles look very close to center on that trailer. Is that standard or did you spec it?

I'm guessing that drops tongue weight, but can you still hit 10-15%?
Old 09-27-2021 | 10:48 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Pretty sure it's standard. Tongue is at ~660lbs for a 4800 total.
Old 09-27-2021 | 11:50 AM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

Terry, come check out my trailer when you have time, it's an ATC.

Mike

Quick Reply: Trailex enclosed, 991 GT3 and Cayenne Diesel owners!