Sponsored by:

My car makes oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 03:38 PM
gt3fast
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My car makes oil

Ok, I buy a gt3 with 4500 miles on it. The dealer changes oil prior to me driving it home 600 miles. I make the whole trip home no issues. The next day I get the yellow notice engine too much oil, still safe to drive. I take some of the oil out and all is well. Now, same car, same oil, but 500 more miles added, I'm getting the yellow notice that there is too much oil, but safe to drive. What gives??????? Am I now an oil man??
Old 09-03-2021, 03:48 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

You may have an ounce too much oil. Very common occurrence since migrating to no dip stick. Get the car hot and do an oil check and report back. Lift the rear engine lid and close it before doing the check. If it is indeed over full crack the oil filter and drain a little out. Ideal level is two bars down from the top.
Old 09-03-2021, 03:50 PM
can84
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3fast
Ok, I buy a gt3 with 4500 miles on it. The dealer changes oil prior to me driving it home 600 miles. I make the whole trip home no issues. The next day I get the yellow notice engine too much oil, still safe to drive. I take some of the oil out and all is well. Now, same car, same oil, but 500 more miles added, I'm getting the yellow notice that there is too much oil, but safe to drive. What gives??????? Am I now an oil man??

Looks like faulty oil level sensor, heard the same thing for couple of 991
Old 09-03-2021, 05:12 PM
gt3fast
Intermediate

Thanks for suggestions, couple more questions. Firstly, I don't know how I could be overfull even by an ounce since I last drained some. In fact, I drained enough that it showed about 3 bars from the top, in the window on dash. When you say lift the rear engine lid and close it before doing another check, does opening and closing the lid reset something?
Old 09-03-2021, 05:22 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Thanks for suggestions, couple more questions. Firstly, I don't know how I could be overfull even by an ounce since I last drained some. In fact, I drained enough that it showed about 3 bars from the top, in the window on dash. When you say lift the rear engine lid and close it before doing another check, does opening and closing the lid reset something?
Open/closing lid usually clears the over-fill indication. This is a fairly common issue on the 991 GT3 and RS. Most of mine have done it.

I agree with the earlier post about getting it fully hot and then doing the read process. Also I would be hesitant to remove more oil.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:39 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Mine has been very slow to figure out what the level is. I fill it, it reads OK, then 30 minutes later says I'm overfilled. I drain some, no change. I drain more, no change. I drain more, then it says I'm low. My solution has been to make small changes (up or down) and wait a few heat cycles before believing the next read. Using this kind of delay, I've not had any problems.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:44 PM
gt3fast
Intermediate

So I got home parked the car, and started this thread. I have done nothing to car yet. It has cooled off. Should I first check to see if light is still on? Or, should I first open and close the rear lid? Probably no wrong answer??
Old 09-03-2021, 07:02 PM
Fapdds
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Happened to me as well, weeks after I bought my car, it took the dealer three attempts to finally have the correct amount of oil, one of the techs experienced with gt3 worked on it last.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:22 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,739 Likes on 5,126 Posts

Completely normal.

Give it a couple of days or few more kms and check it again. You’ll be fine.

it’s just expansion of some of the moisture.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:26 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 403 Posts

To pile on, and there are several threads on this very topic...there is a PIWIS tool that all dealers have, including most non-dealer shops that do this type of work, that can be used to give you a precise oil level measurement. At that point in time you will know exactly where in range the oil reads and can use this information if needed to remove X amount of oil, e.g. 6 oz. Once this is done, you can be confident you're in the safe range. In addition, how the car is driven is important as well. For example, frequent short trips where oil temps don't get into normal operating ranges is not optimal for the car. The suggestion can be made that any drive should include making certain oil temps get to normal ranges and run it through its paces a little. Possibly on ramps, etc. Short sprints to get the motor doing what is was engineered to do. Obviously all this done once the car is in normal temp operating ranges.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:29 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 342 Posts

My procedure: open/close the "hood", warm up the car completely and then let it idle for 2 minutes. That process seems to give me an accurate reading. When I get to one bar above or at the lowest level (generally after a track day) I'll add 300 ml which get's me either to full or one bar down. Seems to keep my car in an acceptable range to the oil sensor regardless of how hot the oil gets.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:35 AM
gt3fast
Intermediate

So after car was totally cooled down I started it to see if the light was still on, it was. I then turned off the car, only ran for perhaps 10 seconds, then I raised and lowered the lid. I then started car, and no light. So I know these cars are very technical, but what the hell is opening and closing the lid doing? I mean, I know it's making the light go out like you guys suggested, but what exactly is it doing/reading???? I know with my MB 350 suv if you don't turn the gas cap enough times that will give you a light. I get that as its probably drawing air or something like that. I just don't get the lid thing. ???

I made an appointment with Porsche when the light came on. Someone mentioned a device the dealer has to measure the oil. Should I keep the appointment, now that the gauge is showing correct level, to find out that the oil is correct at where the gauge is showing me, or is that all for nothing as the next time the light comes on, it will show all the bars full with oil?
Old 09-04-2021, 01:08 PM
tstafford
Race Car

YMMV.

What I’d do - drive it normally to warm up, drive it hard for a bit, head home, measure it. My bet is it will be in the green - ideal fill is 75% of the green (missing one box at the top). If that were the case, I’d cancel the appointment.

But it’s your car. If you’d feel more comfortable with a visit to the dealer, then by all means.
The following users liked this post:
bik2go (11-22-2023)
Old 09-06-2021, 10:26 AM
gt3fast
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tstafford
YMMV.

What I’d do - drive it normally to warm up, drive it hard for a bit, head home, measure it. My bet is it will be in the green - ideal fill is 75% of the green (missing one box at the top). If that were the case, I’d cancel the appointment.

But it’s your car. If you’d feel more comfortable with a visit to the dealer, then by all means.
When I open and close the lid to reset, I then try to read the level. It reads something like figuring oil level. Then it flashes back to yellow. It has done this three times in a row. There is no way I'm overfilled. As I described at the start of this thread, it read high when I first drove the car home, after driving 600 miles. I then drained some out. I was almost too low, but I left it there. Now many miles later I'm having this too full problem again. Very frustrating.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:39 AM
tstafford
Race Car

When I open and close the lid to reset, I then try to read the level. It reads something like figuring oil level. Then it flashes back to yellow. It has done this three times in a row. There is no way I'm overfilled. As I described at the start of this thread, it read high when I first drove the car home, after driving 600 miles. I then drained some out. I was almost too low, but I left it there. Now many miles later I'm having this too full problem again. Very frustrating.
That is frustrating and may warrant a dealer visit.

Quick Reply: My car makes oil