Sponsored by:

PCNA buy back car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 01:14 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default PCNA buy back car...

Has anyone ever had experience with a manufacturer buy back car? It has full history and paperwork including issue and subsequent repair (looks like factory fill on 6spd manual was short oil - shredding transmission). PCNA replaced with new manual trans.

Given this was a mechanical issue outside of the engine and a whole transmission unit was replaced and not repaired...plus has 1y extended warranty after original manufacturer warranty runs out. Is this a deal to be had?

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 09-01-2021, 03:52 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 127 Posts

FWIW, I would have no issues buying this car under the circumstances. If it has a salvage title, it would have to be a VERY good price.
Old 09-01-2021, 04:50 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Title is not salvage but branded as buy back.....as it has to be disclosed at every sale.

Works for me...balance of factory warranty, plus free extra year on a new transmission.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:15 PM
go-ran
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Problem will be when u go to sell it. Itll always be branded. What kind of % off current market are you getting?
The following users liked this post:
usrodeo4 (09-02-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 05:16 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboslut
Title is not salvage but branded as buy back.....as it has to be disclosed at every sale.

Works for me...balance of factory warranty, plus free extra year on a new transmission.
My 2014 GT3 was a factory buy back (engine fire recall thing). I purchased it at a low price and sold it at a low price. The delta was the same as any other car would have been at the time. So IMO it was a good deal. Solid car and less money tied up.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:31 AM
ddugas01

Received 147 Likes on 65 Posts

Not knowing the specs nor price leaves one to just speak to buy back. Is it harder to sell a buy back car, than one that isn’t? Yes, unless you discount it to the point where the interested party feels the price justifies the risk. What are the risks? It’s a lemon and costs more to maintain than it’s worth. For me, the frustration of dealing with an unsound car and always knowing it does not have a clean title would be enough to steer clear; Unless it’s one of those British or Italian sports cars. Those are all unsound and cost too much to maintain, which is why they’re museum pieces and not driven vehicles.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:42 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by ddugas01
Not knowing the specs nor price leaves one to just speak to buy back. Is it harder to sell a buy back car, than one that isn’t? Yes, unless you discount it to the point where the interested party feels the price justifies the risk. What are the risks? It’s a lemon and costs more to maintain than it’s worth. For me, the frustration of dealing with an unsound car and always knowing it does not have a clean title would be enough to steer clear; Unless it’s one of those British or Italian sports cars. Those are all unsound and cost too much to maintain, which is why they’re museum pieces and not driven vehicles.
I think it really depends on why the buy back happened. There are quite a few early 2014 GT3 buy backs for reasons that don't have anything to do with being "unsound".
Old 09-02-2021, 10:53 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,102 Posts

If you’re getting it for a fantastic price then you’re fine. You’ll just be selling it lower on the other end.

If it was my own car though I’d rather not have a buyback as I’d always be thinking about it in the back of my mind even for a simple reason like the dealer not filling the trans properly.

On a 991.1, many of those cars were bought back, it would be less of a concern. On a 991.2, this would be an exception and I think a lot of people when buying a $200k car would rather not have the history associated with that.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:03 AM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for responding.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:06 AM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 707 Likes on 393 Posts

I would have zero concerns from a mechanical aspect.

Just have to mentally prepare yourself that the "story" will follow the car if you're considering what's to come on the back end. However, if you're looking at it as a forever car and the price is right, let it rip. IMO, a manual .2 is a damn good candidate for a forever machine.

Personally, I'm a little surprised somebody would put up the fight for a buyback over a replaced transmission.
Old 09-02-2021, 01:51 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

If the price is right it could be a good deal. But as others have intimated there will be issues at resell time. Personally I don't buy high end cars with stories, I just scratch them off and move on so expect to be limiting your potential buyer pool and thus demand and price.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:34 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 494 Likes on 324 Posts

I had a similar car from BMW years ago. FWIW, I would never buy another buy back car again based on that experience. In my case, the car was bought back in order to basically avoid it being labelled a "lemon" because that has some pretty real repercussions for the manufacturer. In my case, after a year of being in the shop 13 times for HPFP and transmission issues, BMW bought it back from me. And anecdotally, I was told through a salesman there that it was sold yet again after repairs. And maybe it was fine after that, but I wouldn't take that chance again.

Quick Reply: PCNA buy back car...