Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Nizer
Can't open link.
Sorry my bad.. fixed.
Old 08-30-2021 | 06:21 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Nizer, I think this gives you a sense of the possibilities if you go with high-flow cats into a center muffler:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V1u...w?usp=drivesdk

The powertrain components are identical between our cars; I’d expect similar sound effects if you have a product with similar physics.

Last edited by CRex; 08-30-2021 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-30-2021 | 10:09 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hashash
I also had a nice option which were the JCR hi-flo cats , these were 200 cell and changed only the cat section of the exhaust and made the exhaust louder with the valves closed and open . It retains the valves -& made the exhaust maybe 30% louder in both poistions . Was also a cool option and very high quality but i wanted more .

i have mine for sale , if interested pls pm me . Tks
Thanks for all the information, not easy to get GT2 mod info as there are so few around. The JCR HF Cats sound like a nice option but as an Engineer I just can't keep the cats once I do an exhaust, along with a nice weight savings, they are a significant bottleneck on the high HP turbo cars, plus I have never had a smell issue with the three decatted vehicles I have owned and even decatted a turbo car still isn't particularly loud (to my ears anyway...I grew up racing/riding unsilenced 2 stroke bikes and nothing is louder than a 750 two stroke with full open expansion chambers, so anything quieter than that passes my ear street test ). I also live in Florida which has state statutes saying vehicles must be equipped with federally mandated smog equipment but it is ignored by the authorities so just another reason to go catless. I would however like to insure the CEL light does not come on, which I believe can still be accomplished with an O2 sensor bypass valve in place in conjunction with the tune. Also thanks re: M-Engineering concurrence quality. I have heard/experienced the same going back several years when "M" was the chief software Engineer at Cobb. Take care and nice chatting.

Last edited by usrodeo4; 08-30-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-30-2021 | 10:28 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CRex
Nizer, I think this gives you a sense of the possibilities if you go with high-flow cats into a center muffler:

The powertrain components are identical between our cars; I’d expect similar sound effects if you have a product with similar physics.

That is badass as hell...i don't want to mod my exhaust exit points though so that is out of the question for my GT2 but Wow, what a sound. Can I ask, is that the OEM CS exhaust? Beautiful steering wheel and instrumented display btw.
Old 08-30-2021 | 11:19 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jean
Sorry my bad.. fixed.
Nice! How does it sound off throttle? As much noise as CRex's CS below?

Originally Posted by CRex

Thanks. Lots of popping off throttle. Do you know what cell count cats Porsche use on the CS?
Old 08-31-2021 | 02:22 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

100 cell, per published specs. I am rather sensitive to nitrous oxides and don't sense much of it despite the low cell count.

The CS idea is basically two cats flowing into one big mixing chamber and straight out to the atmosphere. The big pops on throttle lift probably has to do with there being such a large void for vacuums to form and reverberate. Should be less of a problem if you have a commercial product with side exhausts. Would definitely recommend the 100-cell HJS cats in any case.

The following users liked this post:
usrodeo4 (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021 | 01:33 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Do 100cell cats do much?
I've never removed them but cracked a few and too loud without turbos, but also never knew what the other advantage was in keeping them, back pressure?
Old 08-31-2021 | 02:14 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Flow > backpressure. Don't believe the myths. There's no performance benefit to having cats, it's all about EPA, state, and federal regulations.
Old 08-31-2021 | 02:29 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Burren
Flow > backpressure. Don't believe the myths. There's no performance benefit to having cats, it's all about EPA, state, and federal regulations.
Not entirely true.

Here is a dyno graph of the same car/same tune with Cat Bypass Vs. HFCs.

They are virtually the same. IMO 200cel cats are the best choice so that you avoid the CEL and do not have to worry about emissions while having 95% the flow of a catless set up.

Old 08-31-2021 | 02:58 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[QUOTE=Nizer;17637360]Nice! How does it sound off throttle? As much noise as CRex's CS below?

Nizer, nowhere near that noise, just a tad louder than stock. Love that CS sound though!
Old 08-31-2021 | 02:59 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

^^Fabspeed, what car is this?
Old 08-31-2021 | 03:43 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Not entirely true.

Here is a dyno graph of the same car/same tune with Cat Bypass Vs. HFCs.

They are virtually the same. IMO 200cel cats are the best choice so that you avoid the CEL and do not have to worry about emissions while having 95% the flow of a catless set up.

Exactly, but I think you are misrepresenting the causal outcomes. With a tune optimized for cats it should/could out perform a catless car, but for a tune optimized for more flow (read decatted) it should certainly out perform a catted car, especially in a turbo environment. If it doesn't we need to revisit the laws of thermodynamics.
Old 08-31-2021 | 05:05 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nizer
^^Fabspeed, what car is this?
991.2 GT2RS
Old 08-31-2021 | 05:09 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
Exactly, but I think you are misrepresenting the causal outcomes. With a tune optimized for cats it should/could out perform a catless car, but for a tune optimized for more flow (read decatted) it should certainly out perform a catted car, especially in a turbo environment. If it doesn't we need to revisit the laws of thermodynamics.
Precisely. There is no argument; catalytic converters reduce flow and backpressure does not equal torque/power. All that matters is exhaust speed and scavenging with the correct exhaust pipe diameter.

That's why we see ALL race cars with cats, right? Right???
Old 08-31-2021 | 05:22 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Burren
Precisely. There is no argument; catalytic converters reduce flow and backpressure does not equal torque/power. All that matters is exhaust speed and scavenging with the correct exhaust pipe diameter.

That's why we see ALL race cars with cats, right? Right???
Nobody is arguing that bypass pipes are not optimal on a track car. Simply pointed out that your statement was not exactly correct, and gave a comparison backed up by data. (Same car, same tune parameters, all within the same day)

If you are running track only, go bypass pipes. If you are going to be primarily on the street, the cons far outweigh the pros.

Quick Reply: GT2 RS Aftermarket Exhaust Question