Sponsored by:

Help with over-rev report

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 12:33 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapter
What does everyone think of this report ?

I would leave it alone. Porsche will not cpo cars with range 3 and over even if individual dealers do and then if (low likelihood) engine blows down the line they will not honor the local dealer's cpo.

Ran into same issue when a local Boxster spyder was being sold cpo by dealer in town and when it came to closing the deal they kept delaying showing me dme report for one reason or another and right when I said I wouldn't move forward and sign without seeing it they produced essentially similar report as above. I walked away and asked them how they could cpo car with other rev in range 4. No response. Basically if I had bought car and ran into any engine related issue it would not have been covered by Porsche NA.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:58 AM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by catdog2
I would leave it alone. Porsche will not cpo cars with range 3 and over even if individual dealers do and then if (low likelihood) engine blows down the line they will not honor the local dealer's cpo.

Ran into same issue when a local Boxster spyder was being sold cpo by dealer in town and when it came to closing the deal they kept delaying showing me dme report for one reason or another and right when I said I wouldn't move forward and sign without seeing it they produced essentially similar report as above. I walked away and asked them how they could cpo car with other rev in range 4. No response. Basically if I had bought car and ran into any engine related issue it would not have been covered by Porsche NA.
it is amazing the divided opinion on this matter.
i, like you, feel the same way. That the car is designed to run below a speed (conservatively) and if run below that speed then there will be problem free operation as the 4.0 seems to have some really minimal things range with it.

I feel it is pretty risky to pay for a car and then face a bill of 80k for a new engine.

my race shop says they can test the car (scans, leak down and compression and scope the engine) and everything can check out fine but then a problem still can manifest and there is no way to predict it.

seems like the only insurance is to buy a car like this at a deep discount or risk the unknown.
Old 12-26-2022, 09:14 AM
Rapter
Racer

Is there anything important to check over as a driver during a test drive on an over-rev car?
would there be anything obvious to listen out for ?
Old 12-26-2022, 09:25 AM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 207 Posts

Why bother when there are so many of these cars for sale? You’ll get your *** handed to you when you go sell it or trade it in as everyone knows to check for these things and most buyers will either walk or require a significant discount.
Old 12-26-2022, 11:17 AM
Rapter
Racer

Originally Posted by lawrence1
Why bother when there are so many of these cars for sale? You’ll get your *** handed to you when you go sell it or trade it in as everyone knows to check for these things and most buyers will either walk or require a significant discount.
My thinking of a fair deal would be the current market value of the car less the costs of an engine replacement of roughly $65-75k (cnd). Thereby mitigating the risk of ownership and re-sale.

Last edited by Rapter; 12-26-2022 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-26-2022, 02:13 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,095 Likes on 2,870 Posts

Is there anything important to check over as a driver during a test drive on an over-rev car?
would there be anything obvious to listen out for ?
No, if there is a detectable problem it will show on the dash with a Check Engine Light or warning.
Old 12-26-2022, 03:38 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

When it is time to sell, how will you feel ?
Old 12-26-2022, 07:08 PM
Rapter
Racer

Originally Posted by Perimeter
When it is time to sell, how will you feel ?
Me personally, I would feel uneasy based on the response on this forum and other forums.

many people work very hard for this kind of car money and most are apprehensive, myself included, about financial risks.

no one wants to buy liability for 5 mins of awesome….

the idea is to protect myself from unknown mechanical risk which I why I posted up here to the collective knowledge of the forum.

I maintain a smart move for me is to negotiate a fair price based on engine replacement or politely move onto another car. I am not prepared to lose money on a track toy.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:09 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Overrev could have resulted in a hairline weakness in any moving part that was stressed for a tiny fraction of a second just close to its failure limit but not beyond and led to microscopic weakness or hairline internal fracture or weak spot that cannot be detected by any of the usual tools available today but that will fail at some point when stressed again. We should all be lucky to have access to dme report. Use the information to your advantage.
@rapter smart move is walk away because no money will be enough to cover for your time wasted car unavailable and knowing you don't have original engine with respect to resale. Nobody ferrets out cars with replaced engines instead of original engine when looking to buy these cars.

Last edited by catdog2; 12-26-2022 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2022, 12:19 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

My thinking of a fair deal would be the current market value of the car less the costs of an engine replacement of roughly $65-75k (cnd). Thereby mitigating the risk of ownership and re-sale.
Me personally, I would feel uneasy based on the response on this forum and other forums.

many people work very hard for this kind of car money and most are apprehensive, myself included, about financial risks.

no one wants to buy liability for 5 mins of awesome….

the idea is to protect myself from unknown mechanical risk which I why I posted up here to the collective knowledge of the forum.

I maintain a smart move for me is to negotiate a fair price based on engine replacement or politely move onto another car. I am not prepared to lose money on a track toy.
And above is the obvious answer. You value the risk as a new engine which a reasonable person would say is grossly excessive (and purely hypothetical as the car cannot be purchased for that).
Old 12-27-2022, 01:06 AM
silvertige
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

That is just ridiculous... just move on. No one is giving a 65-75k cnd discount for that dme. You're just wasting the sellers time.
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 08:14 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silvertige
That is just ridiculous... just move on. No one is giving a 65-75k cnd discount for that dme. You're just wasting the sellers time.
exactly, someone will buy it without even knowing what a dme report is
Old 12-27-2022, 08:51 AM
JCGT3rs
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not an expert on this subject .. but why would anyone knowingly want to own the risk .. a known risk if you didnt have to ....might as well buy one at auction on Coparts and swing away ..

Last edited by JCGT3rs; 12-27-2022 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-27-2022, 01:32 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 207 Posts

They wouldn't do it "knowingly" ... but not everyone will ask for a DME readout. The dealer just has to find a sucker that will walk in, buy the car and find out about it later. Happens all the time. No one will discount a running car $70k ... they will just wholesale it and it'll eventually get picked up by the unknowing end user. Someone at some point will end up with a value haircut but even that is somewhat limited if they trade the car at a non-Porsche dealer, Carmax, etc. Now if the engine blows along the way, well, that would hurt - a new engine is close to $80K with a usable core last i checked. That's not including labor for the R&R. And with an engine that's been spun to 10,400 RPM (per the DME report), it can blow tomorrow ... or never. roll of the dice.

Again, the discount on these storied cars isn't enough to offset the risk and hassle most of the time. With so many cars for sale now, and a slowing market, it's not worth dealing with it.
Old 12-27-2022, 04:14 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by JCGT3rs
I'm not an expert on this subject .. but why would anyone knowingly want to own the risk .. a known risk if you didnt have to ....might as well buy one at auction on Coparts and swing away ..
People buy 991.1’s not knowing about the FF issue - and that’s a much higher risk than this car.

Quick Reply: Help with over-rev report