Sponsored by:

Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport RS Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 08:52 AM
JonathanWalker
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport RS Review

Recently I had the chance to get a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport RS’ on my 991.2 GT3 RS WP and put them to the test around the Donington Park Circuit. After roughly 5,000 track miles on Michelin’s rival CUP 2R, with the odd day on the CUP 2, I was definitely curious to see how the Goodyear’s would hold up over some hard laps.

Conditions: Track temperature was typical for UK summertime, outside temp around 20ºC and partially cloudy with no rain.

First visual impression of the tyre was that it definitely shares some resemblance in tread pattern to the CUP 2R, mainly within the ratio of tyre to tread. However, the SuperSport RS definitely has a flatter and softer sidewall.

Out on the track... once up to temperature, the surface grip was good, and handling was pointy and precise on initial turn in. Mid corner & under braking is where I definitely experienced that softer side wall. The tyre felt hyper compliant to the track, which aided the grip, however a lot of the movement translated through the wheel, often giving the sensation the tyre was rolling over on itself.

Similar story under braking, a lot of movement at the front end, tyre felt nervous, but the grip was there. However, I did find that any small amount lock through the wheels when braking would unsettle the car.

Two laps in and the tyres were up to peak temp with 2.2 bar of pressure, but I did find myself needing to bleed the tyres down after each session (5-6 laps). I put this down to increased movement through the sidewall generating extra heat.

Tyre wear over the morning was great, even over all 4 corners and consistent across the tread. Obviously, a tyre of this nature doesn’t last long, but wear was nothing excessive. They peaked around 3 push laps in, followed by a steady decline. Hard to guestimate longevity as I only tested them for a morning, but they definitely had a full day left in them.

Final thoughts:

- If I had to judge this tyre against previous experience I would sandwich it between Michelin’s CUP2 and their CUP2 R, but obviously this is subjective to the driver and driving style.

- As a track day tyre the SuperSport RS is a great choice for some, plenty of grip and consistent between laps.

- Fundamentally a very different feeling tyre to the CUP2 R, more grip but a lot softer with increased movement and play under load. For me this feeling was quite unsettling, however as with any tyre setup the more time spent on the tyre, the more comfortable it’ll feel.

The following users liked this post:
TDT (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 11:00 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 326 Posts

Great review....I tried to buy a set last year in our standard OEM sizes and could not get them here in America.
JonathanWalker (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 11:54 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

OP: Great info. Thank you.
JonathanWalker (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 04:09 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by JonathanWalker
Final thoughts:

- If I had to judge this tyre against previous experience I would sandwich it between Michelin’s CUP2 and their CUP2 R, but obviously this is subjective to the driver and driving style.

- As a track day tyre the SuperSport RS is a great choice for some, plenty of grip and consistent between laps.

- Fundamentally a very different feeling tyre to the CUP2 R, more grip but a lot softer with increased movement and play under load. For me this feeling was quite unsettling, however as with any tyre setup the more time spent on the tyre, the more comfortable it’ll feel.
Thanks for posting. Do you have any comparison lap times?
Old 08-24-2021, 06:35 AM
JonathanWalker
Instructor

Originally Posted by GrantG
Thanks for posting. Do you have any comparison lap times?
Unfortunately not from the same day
Old 08-24-2021, 07:57 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

How does this compare to the Supercar 3R?
Old 08-25-2021, 01:30 PM
JonathanWalker
Instructor

Originally Posted by erko1905
How does this compare to the Supercar 3R?
Do you mean the Goodyear SuperSport R?
Old 08-27-2021, 07:25 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by JonathanWalker
Do you mean the Goodyear SuperSport R?
No I mean the Supercar 3R

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...F1+Supercar+3R

Quick Reply: Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport RS Review