Sponsored by:

GT3 Touring Sound Deadening Rear Shelf

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 07:35 PM
motts
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts
Default GT3 Touring Sound Deadening Rear Shelf

Concensus on the touring is that it's louder that the classic version of the gt3. I can't tell since I was only a passenger in a classic version and wasn't really paying attention to the sound.
Wondering if anyone makes plug and play rear carpet or something made from sound deadening material that is precision cut to the rear shelf of the car. I just installed ps4s and they seem to lower the road noise.
But I would like to give it a try if anyone knows or made one please give me a shout. I looked in to cocomatts and there is nothing on their website.
Thanks.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:36 PM
joerg65
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 47 Posts

I definitely wouldn’t call this precision made but it certainly did the trick.

1 roll covered it with a little left over

I cut around the restraints whilst the DynaPad was in position. It’s easy to cut.

All back together
The following users liked this post:
Axenar (03-30-2023)
Old 08-14-2021, 11:11 PM
motts
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joerg65

I cut around the restraints whilst the DynaPad was in position. It’s easy to cut.

All back together
I like it, but definitely above my skill level😂
Old 08-15-2021, 03:33 AM
718spyder
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

All back together
Just bought a GT3 Touring in Sydney , was thinking of doing similar , what improvements did you notice and achieve.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2021, 04:23 AM
joerg65
Instructor

Originally Posted by 718spyder
Just bought a GT3 Touring in Sydney , was thinking of doing similar , what improvements did you notice and achieve.

Thanks
Congratulations - they are fun and very capable cars.

The sound deadening worked very well and for longer drives it will certainly stop your ears ringing.

If you do end up doing this, make sure you take a drive with the rear carpet/foam removed before you install the dynamat - it’s got to be around 90% of the sound of a cup car! You will really appreciate what layers of sound deadening do.

BTW, I do a few track days with the car and just remove the dynamat for these which is pretty easy.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:28 AM
joerg65
Instructor

Originally Posted by motts
I like it, but definitely above my skill level😂
It’s really not hard to do. You just need the dynamat and scissors. I’m happy to give you a step-by-step.
The following 2 users liked this post by joerg65:
motts (08-15-2021), Rfwii (03-04-2022)
Old 08-15-2021, 04:34 AM
718spyder
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

It’s really not hard to do. You just need the dynamat and scissors. I’m happy to give you a step-by-step.
Thanks for reply , appreciate the advice .
Old 08-15-2021, 08:05 AM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Congratulations - they are fun and very capable cars.

The sound deadening worked very well and for longer drives it will certainly stop your ears ringing.

If you do end up doing this, make sure you take a drive with the rear carpet/foam removed before you install the dynamat - it’s got to be around 90% of the sound of a cup car! You will really appreciate what layers of sound deadening do.

BTW, I do a few track days with the car and just remove the dynamat for these which is pretty easy.
Just to avoid confusion, you’re not using traditional Dynamat, the heavy and sticky rubber matting. You’re using Dynapad, which is a heavy rubber and foam multilayer product that has no stick to it. Also, it is best applied as a single, larger, cut-to-shape piece covering all or as much of the panel as possible. Sound will find any gaps, so the Dynapad must be continuous. In contrast, Dynamat can achieve 60%-80% vibration reduction by only sticking on a piece that is 1/4 the size of the panel, in the middle of the panel.

Dynamat reduces vibration and noise transfer by using its weight to prevent the panel from vibrating. Dynapad reduces noise by blocking the sound transfer through itself because it is dense and decoupled due to layers. Many stereo installers will install Dynamat to the panel first, and then use spray adhesive to install Dynapad above Dynamat. You’ve probably achieved more sound deadening with Dynapad than the guys who stuck on just Dynamat.

Last edited by fnckr; 08-15-2021 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:18 AM
joerg65
Instructor

Originally Posted by fnckr
Just to avoid confusion, you’re not using traditional Dynamat, the heavy and sticky rubber matting. You’re using Dynapad, which is a heavy rubber and foam multilayer product that has no stick to it. Also, it is best applied as a single, larger, cut-to-shape piece covering all or as much of the panel as possible. Sound will find any gaps, so the Dynapad must be continuous. In contrast, Dynamat can achieve 60%-80% vibration reduction by only sticking on a piece that is 1/4 the size of the panel, in the middle of the panel.

Dynamat reduces vibration and noise transfer by using its weight to prevent the panel from vibrating. Dynapad reduces noise by blocking the sound transfer through itself because it is dense and decoupled due to layers. Many stereo installers will install Dynamat to the panel first, and then use spray adhesive to install Dynapad above Dynamat. You’ve probably achieved more sound deadening with Dynapad than the guys who stuck on just Dynamat.
You’re absolutely right - Dynapad
Old 08-16-2021, 12:09 PM
motts
Rennlist Member

I thought I would give a quick update. Just got of the phone cocomats and supposedly they have a lay down pattern for the gt3 touring.
They are sending me a paper pattern to see if it fits properly. We shall see.
Spoddle (04-01-2023)
Old 08-16-2021, 04:17 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 134 Posts

keep us updated
motts (08-16-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 11:31 PM
SSTAR
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interested in this as well. So the dynapad has no adhesive? Once you pry the car seat hook covers off, are there any fasteners to remove the carpeted panel?
Old 08-18-2021, 04:43 AM
joerg65
Instructor

Originally Posted by SSTAR
Interested in this as well. So the dynapad has no adhesive? Once you pry the car seat hook covers off, are there any fasteners to remove the carpeted panel?
Yes that’s right - no adhesive. It’s very easy to work with and remove if you ever want to.
The carpet/foam can just be pulled out by getting your hand under it in the middle - just where the tunnel meet the non existent rear seat back. It deforms forward then comes loose from the sides.

In the first pic I also removed the narrow panel just below the rear window. This is attached with clip fasteners that easily come loose with a gentle but firm pull on one side of this panel.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:22 AM
systech
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 718spyder

Thanks
Greetings from (not in lockdown) Adelaide!

I used the Noico equivalent on the rear shelf/ seats and rear wheel wells on my GT3 CS. Rear shelf was then also covered in a Noico sound absorbing foam.

Was thinking of also doing the door internals but found the above measures were enough sound reduction…still want to hear that wonderful engine😉

Last edited by systech; 08-18-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:10 PM
Franko T
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 80 Posts

I used some KillMatt which is a dynamatt knockoff on the rear deck below the carpet padding. I didn´t want to add much weight.

Another thing I did wa

s put some of these acoustic foam behind the rear walls. I plan on putting more. They weight next to nothing so even if they don´t do a whole lot, at least they may reduce panel vibrations which can cause rattles.

Quick Reply: GT3 Touring Sound Deadening Rear Shelf