Sponsored by:

PDK Level 3 Overrevs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 12:27 PM
bighitbiker3
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PDK Level 3 Overrevs?

I was just looking at a DME report for a PDK car that had level 3 overrevs (peaked at 9280 RPM and only 27 cycles at level 3). I've gone through and searched the forum and it seems people are split on them being either impossible, or level 1 and 2 only.

Does anyone know how or why this would happen? I'm not concerned, nor in the market for the car, but am more curious than anything around the technicality of it. The dealer didn't seem concerned with it either which was also interesting.

Some thoughts would be wheel hop and not able to cut the fuel fast enough. Another thought would be bouncing the limiter, fuel cut causes it to lean out and puts it up into that range for a few milliseconds.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:43 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,128 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by bighitbiker3
I was just looking at a DME report for a PDK car that had level 3 overrevs (peaked at 9280 RPM and only 27 cycles at level 3). I've gone through and searched the forum and it seems people are split on them being either impossible, or level 1 and 2 only.

Does anyone know how or why this would happen? I'm not concerned, nor in the market for the car, but am more curious than anything around the technicality of it. The dealer didn't seem concerned with it either which was also interesting.

Some thoughts would be wheel hop and not able to cut the fuel fast enough. Another thought would be bouncing the limiter, fuel cut causes it to lean out and puts it up into that range for a few milliseconds.
The limiter cuts the spark instantaneously, so there should be no further revving than the computer allows (even if wheel hop). I think the most likely explanation is the system is prone to glitches (not a real over-rev).
The following users liked this post:
Palting (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 02:51 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 491 Likes on 359 Posts

Does the car have a motor and/or PDK tune that raised the red line?
Old 07-21-2021, 04:16 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 89 Posts

Any normal trip to the limiter will cause a few range 1's and 2's but usually not 3's, I guess it depends on the engine momentum.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:38 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 480 Posts

thats an interesting one...not sure how it gets that high unless the trans lets itself be downshifted a little too soon when slowing down for a tight turn on a track, and thats a big maybe...
Old 07-22-2021, 11:46 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 586 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
thats an interesting one...not sure how it gets that high unless the trans lets itself be downshifted a little too soon when slowing down for a tight turn on a track, and thats a big maybe...
On a similar note: I noticed this yesterday at laguna a couple of times: driving in sport/auto shifting mode my car was right at redline in 3rd a few times right as I'm getting off the throttle approaching turn 6. The motor makes a strange noise almost like a slight over rev. I didn't really think too much about it until I read this thread. I don't think over revs are of any concern on a pdf car though.

Quick Reply: PDK Level 3 Overrevs?