Sponsored by:

After market warranties

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 03:04 PM
slumdog
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Thiemrodt911
The contract reads, "Porsche financial services, Porsche protection plan". Their finance guy said it is issued by Porsche. It is the platinum coverage plan.

I am surprised because the finance manager at my Porsche dealership said there was no extended warranty plan on the GT3 I was buying ... but she said, it was available for all non GT cars
Old 07-16-2021, 03:10 PM
Thiemrodt911
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slumdog
I am surprised because the finance manager at my Porsche dealership said there was no extended warranty plan on the GT3 I was buying ... but she said, it was available for all non GT cars
I was surprised as well. I don't know if exceptions can be made for low mileage cars that had a Porsche ppi performed???? I would have researched easy care, as suggested by another poster here, had this avenue not worked out.
Old 07-16-2021, 10:40 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

For folks with CPO, covered already for 6yrs, has anyone then bought an extensions after that?
I ask because my previous two fidelity warranties required the current factory warranty to be current, I don't think CPO counts for that stipulation.

Data point - I did a 6yr/60k $250 deductible for <$2k on a 2017 GTS before 10k miles.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:46 PM
PS-GT4
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Porsche Chandler said the Porsche Platinum warranty has to be added before original factory coverage lapses (even if CPO). If you are still within the original 4yrs they will sell it - otherwise you are out of luck. I added mine about a week before factory coverage expired.
The following 2 users liked this post by PS-GT4:
AnthonyGan (07-17-2021), _RS_ (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 01:55 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by PS-GT4
Porsche Chandler said the Porsche Platinum warranty has to be added before original factory coverage lapses (even if CPO). If you are still within the original 4yrs they will sell it - otherwise you are out of luck. I added mine about a week before factory coverage expired.
This is what I was told prior to getting my warranty. The Porsche dealership in question did not PPI the car itself, they brokered the deal and knew the car as they had sold it new to the seller.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:57 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorat
This is what I was told prior to getting my warranty. The Porsche dealership in question did not PPI the car itself, they brokered the deal and knew the car as they had sold it new to the seller.
Also, the warranty can be fully refunded within 30 days if not used and its prorated if cancelled at any point from there to it's expiration.

Peace of mind on an expensive piece of kit for me!

G
Old 07-18-2021, 05:53 PM
thunderdent
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

I recently bought my ‘16 3RS and originally they quoted me a Porsche factory extended warranty for $4,100. I jumped on it. Then after purchasing the car and it on a truck for the cross-country trek to me, I got a call that said that Porsche didn’t have that warranty available, and they were mistaken. But they could get me an aftermarket warranty, but it was going to be “substantially more” than what they’d originally quoted me.

Since my nearest Porsche dealer is 2-1/2 hrs from me, I just told them to forget it and refund my money on the warranty. I’ll roll the dice.

I plan to keep the car indefinitely anyway. So at some point it won’t be in warranty anyway, and it will be a hassle to try to use it if something did happen. The worst case scenario here is risking total engine failure. Which I could purchase if I absolutely had to.

I didn’t get one on my R8 either. And so far, so good. I guess time will tell.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:27 PM
Thiemrodt911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thunderdent
I recently bought my ‘16 3RS and originally they quoted me a Porsche factory extended warranty for $4,100. I jumped on it. Then after purchasing the car and it on a truck for the cross-country trek to me, I got a call that said that Porsche didn’t have that warranty available, and they were mistaken. But they could get me an aftermarket warranty, but it was going to be “substantially more” than what they’d originally quoted me.

Since my nearest Porsche dealer is 2-1/2 hrs from me, I just told them to forget it and refund my money on the warranty. I’ll roll the dice.

I plan to keep the car indefinitely anyway. So at some point it won’t be in warranty anyway, and it will be a hassle to try to use it if something did happen. The worst case scenario here is risking total engine failure. Which I could purchase if I absolutely had to.

I didn’t get one on my R8 either. And so far, so good. I guess time will tell.
Man that's terribly unprofessional. Had they already provided you a signed Porsche extended contract?
Old 07-19-2021, 08:56 AM
thunderdent
Instructor

Man that's terribly unprofessional. Had they already provided you a signed Porsche extended contract?
No, they just had asked me if I wanted to purchase the Porsche extended warranty when I had the deal negotiated, and had paid my $5K down to hold the car.

Then they asked if I wanted the warranty, and how much it was. And they’d be able to use fhe 4,100 for that and refund me the $900.

Then after the car was delivered the business office called back and said they couldn’t remember if I’d gotten the warranty or not. (they were going to FedEx me my final paperwork)
I said yes, we’d agreed on the 4100 for the Porsche ext warranty. And she apologized and said that she thought she could get it but it wasn’t a possibility. The only thing she could do was a far more expensive aftermarket one. So I declined.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:34 AM
Thiemrodt911
Intermediate

No, they just had asked me if I wanted to purchase the Porsche extended warranty when I had the deal negotiated, and had paid my $5K down to hold the car.

Then they asked if I wanted the warranty, and how much it was. And they’d be able to use fhe 4,100 for that and refund me the $900.

Then after the car was delivered the business office called back and said they couldn’t remember if I’d gotten the warranty or not. (they were going to FedEx me my final paperwork)
I said yes, we’d agreed on the 4100 for the Porsche ext warranty. And she apologized and said that she thought she could get it but it wasn’t a possibility. The only thing she could do was a far more expensive aftermarket one. So I declined.
That's a raw deal IMO. They should have stood behind their word to you. Make a sale, and then pull the rug out from under you. Great cars, hopefully no problems.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:43 AM
thunderdent
Instructor

That's a raw deal IMO. They should have stood behind their word to you. Make a sale, and then pull the rug out from under you. Great cars, hopefully no problems.
I wasn’t super happy about it, but it is what it is.

The only other thing that I didn’t care for was they wouldn’t let me put $5k down to hold the car if I wanted a PPI at the local Porsche dealership. I could pay for the PPI and they’d arrange to take the car over and back, but wouldn’t be able to hold it for me until that was completed. So I chose to just move forward without it.

Aside from those two things, they were very professional and super helpful. Texted back and forth after hours about more than just the car sale. Split the shipping with me since it was trucking across the country. Photos and videos throughout the entire process.

Car was delivered and is flawless.

Bone stock, never tracked. 2k miles. Basically a new car.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:50 AM
Thiemrodt911
Intermediate

I wasn’t super happy about it, but it is what it is.

The only other thing that I didn’t care for was they wouldn’t let me put $5k down to hold the car if I wanted a PPI at the local Porsche dealership. I could pay for the PPI and they’d arrange to take the car over and back, but wouldn’t be able to hold it for me until that was completed. So I chose to just move forward without it.

Aside from those two things, they were very professional and super helpful. Texted back and forth after hours about more than just the car sale. Split the shipping with me since it was trucking across the country. Photos and videos throughout the entire process.

Car was delivered and is flawless.

Bone stock, never tracked. 2k miles. Basically a new car.
That sounds good. So the car wasn't being sold at a Porsche dealership? It was some other form of exotic dealership?
Old 07-19-2021, 11:50 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 154 Posts

Is it a gt3 you are insuring with them? Have you had any claims with them yet to know how they respond? Which plan did you go with if I can ask? Thanks for the link.

BTW, to purchase a Fidelity policy you have to go through a dealer. Mike with Steingold Volvo cars was great in getting with me to see if he could hook me up with Fidelity. However, when he put in gt3, I think the computer read something to the effect, " Not insurable" I would suggest him for another type of Porsche or exotic.
Yes, its on my 2015 GT3 and it was purchased through my Porsche dealer, Hennessy Porsche. .
While I have not made claim on my GT3, I did have Easy Care on a prior Turbo-S and several BMW M cars that paid for problems with no problem.
That's why I went with Easy Care on my GT3.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:59 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

I can't seem to find a warranty for a 19 RS. A few Dealers have told me that even if I do, the warranty companies will do investigation to see if driven on track, etc... so I think im SOL.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:02 PM
thunderdent
Instructor

That sounds good. So the car wasn't being sold at a Porsche dealership? It was some other form of exotic dealership?
Yes, it’s an exotic car dealership (mainly Porsche) in the same town as a Porsche dealer.
Grand Prix motors in Oregon.

This was a pic of all of the cars around mine when it was still there.

Quick Reply: After market warranties