Sponsored by:

XPEL Stealth PPF on Lizard Green 3RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 11:48 AM
KOTB
Banned

Received 194 Likes on 110 Posts
Question XPEL Stealth PPF on Lizard Green 3RS

So I am in the process of deciding between XPEL clear gloss and stealth PPF for my LZ 3RS along with full ceramic coating
Goss / Clear will retain the original lively lizard green color which I love!
Will I regret the stealth PPF? since it will look a little dull ...I have seen pictures but have not seen one in person. Wondering how the Xpel stealth will look in person....
I have read that the Stealth will be easier to maintain...thoughts from practical experience?
Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2021, 12:50 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 330 Posts

IMO Stealth looks ok on black or white cars (but still not my preference). When you put them on a jelly bean color, it dulls them which just seems like it's doing the opposite of what you would want. If you wanted a muted color you wouldn't have bought Lizard Green I assume? I've only ever seen one in person (that isn't black/white) and it was Miami Blue and it looked every bit as dull as the picture you posted.
The following users liked this post:
jkob5 (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 02:49 PM
mipcar
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by darylbowden
IMO Stealth looks ok on black or white cars (but still not my preference). When you put them on a jelly bean color, it dulls them which just seems like it's doing the opposite of what you would want. If you wanted a muted color you wouldn't have bought Lizard Green I assume? I've only ever seen one in person (that isn't black/white) and it was Miami Blue and it looked every bit as dull as the picture you posted.
Agree with this. Friend had stealth on white RS. Looked decent. Had some repair work done, went with gloss film = looks fantastic. Saw a Lava in stealth, it almost looked red. When I discussed with my installer, he said it takes more time and precision to install the stealth because you need to make sure your cuts/seems are perfect otherwise you see the gloss edge. As to cleaning and wear I believe them to be equivalent.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:53 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts

I've had the stealth installed before. Aside from the look, the stealth film is thinner than regular clear PPF so it won't protect as well nor last as long.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:59 PM
slumdog
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Damage
I've had the stealth installed before. Aside from the look, the stealth film is thinner than regular clear PPF so it won't protect as well nor last as long.

The stealth and the ultimate plus is the same thickness, one is in no way inferior than the other. Its just a matter of choice. if you are applying ceramic coating its going to be easier to maintain. You may want to refresh the ceramic coating on an annual basis.
Old 07-16-2021, 02:23 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by slumdog
The stealth and the ultimate plus is the same thickness, one is in no way inferior than the other. Its just a matter of choice. if you are applying ceramic coating its going to be easier to maintain. You may want to refresh the ceramic coating on an annual basis.
I'm not sure what the "ultimate plus" film is, but when I had the stealth installed, my installer warned that it was thinner than it's clear counterpart by 3M. This was in 2016 so maybe the new version is thicker.

Last edited by Tracky; 07-16-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-16-2021, 02:44 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 725 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by darylbowden
I’m in this camp. To each their own of course, I think it looks good on white, silver, grey. But on actual colors it looks cheap’ish, like those crappy plastidip or wrap jobs from 10 years ago.

Independent of color, I get the appeal though. It’s a neat way to switch things up. My xpel installer is trying to convince me to do it. Not sure when I’ll be in the mood to set $5k on fire. He did note that maintenance is a breeze with it.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:18 PM
slumdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Damage
I'm not sure what the "ultimate plus" film is, but when I had the stealth installed, my installer warned that it was thinner than it's clear counterpart by 3M. This was in 2016 so maybe the new version is thicker.
https://www.xpel.com/web-assets/down...82019-V1-1.pdf

https://www.xpel.com/web-assets/down...82019-V1-1.pdf

they are both 8 mil, albeit the stealth is slightly thicker

the ultimate plus has a variant that is 10 mil thick but that is more expensive but the normal film is 8 mil thick
Old 07-16-2021, 03:22 PM
slumdog
Banned

Originally Posted by itrsteve
I’m in this camp. To each their own of course, I think it looks good on white, silver, grey. But on actual colors it looks cheap’ish, like those crappy plastidip or wrap jobs from 10 years ago.

Independent of color, I get the appeal though. It’s a neat way to switch things up. My xpel installer is trying to convince me to do it. Not sure when I’ll be in the mood to set $5k on fire. He did note that maintenance is a breeze with it.

I have noted that there are members who do not have ppf on their GT cars, the main objective is to protect the original paint and if this is a car you will keep for a long time its very helpful to get a wrap
I dont drive crazy, I dont tailgate and dont do hours of highway driving in my GT either but still got a PPF and extended warranty for the peace of mind
I do agree that having ppf does not improve resale value if you are trading it in, in a private party sale scenario, I think it does ....
do you really think its a waste of money? if so, why?
Old 07-17-2021, 08:34 AM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 725 Likes on 401 Posts

I have noted that there are members who do not have ppf on their GT cars, the main objective is to protect the original paint and if this is a car you will keep for a long time its very helpful to get a wrap
I dont drive crazy, I dont tailgate and dont do hours of highway driving in my GT either but still got a PPF and extended warranty for the peace of mind
I do agree that having ppf does not improve resale value if you are trading it in, in a private party sale scenario, I think it does ....
Clarification: I have Xpel on the front half and believe it’s well worth it. What would be setting money on my behalf is ripping off perfectly good Xpel and going the stealth route for the entire car.

It’s very tempting though.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:13 PM
mzadjali
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO its worth the investment to have a full PPFi if you're looking to keep the car for a long period of time and maintain the paint in mint condition. Its nice to have a full PPF since, it will protect the car side panels from debris being splashed by overtaking cars.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:55 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

Name:  photo912.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  655.4 KB

go stealth
Old 07-17-2021, 07:58 PM
jorligan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have stealth on Agate grey. Looks great and it is very thick. I get compliments routinely. It cleans much easier than gloss I have on my other cars, there is a slight texture and thing seem to wipe off.

Quick Reply: XPEL Stealth PPF on Lizard Green 3RS