Replacing battery question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 10:28 AM
pjazz
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Certainly not my findings.
You must have far more battery draw than I since i can easily go a month or more....and still never had to use the backup feature or tender.
I don't remember the exact amount of time I just remembered it's not an infinite amount of time you can leave it not tended. I have a 40ah as well. Possibly a GT3 and RS have a different power draw.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:32 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by pjazz
I don't remember the exact amount of time I just remembered it's not an infinite amount of time you can leave it not tended. I have a 40ah as well. Possibly a GT3 and RS have a different power draw.
I've had an Antigravity 40Ah battery in both a GT3 and RS. No difference that i could tell.
If you don't have the bluetooth module/app, i'd suggest getting it so you can objectively monitor.

Again, you may have more parasitic draw due to other reasons.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:38 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,011 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by victorc31
It’s 2019 gt3. The car sits a month or two at a time and the battery has gone dead a couple of times to where I have to connect external power just to pop the frunk. These days after just a week I can still pop the frunk with the key fob but not start the car. I don’t use a tender cause I’m not around and don’t trust it not burn the house down... (is that wrong?)

so between an antgravity or an interstate, which can survive the 1-2 month idle time better. The sleep mode in the antigravity is attractive but if the h8 interstate ($175 at costco) will survive 4 years in these conditions then i’m good with that. Florida heat, but in a garage.

thanks!
Hi vitocrc31...just wanted to chime in with a couple thoughts as well that hopefully might be helpful...but as the current battery has been allowed to drain that may have very well affected it's ability to perform and retain charge, hence the failure after only a week of sitting but it also might be worth checking your parasitic draw to make sure there's not an underlying issue drawing the battery down. As someone I think someone touched on earlier, the car should certainly be able to sit for a longer duration than a week and be okay. The sleep mode and ReStart feature in our battery is defiantly an advantage with cars that may not get used as much as we like but lithium also has a slower nature discharge overall in comparison to lead/acid makeups so is advantageous there as well.
Hopefully that helps and as always please feel free to reach out to us with any questions at all.
Best regards,
Chad (chad@antigravitybatteries.com)
Old 06-30-2021, 01:31 PM
victorc31
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
The sleep mode and ReStart feature in our battery is defiantly an advantage with cars that may not get used as much as we like but lithium also has a slower nature discharge overall in comparison to lead/acid makeups so is advantageous there as well.
Hopefully that helps and as always please feel free to reach out to us with any questions at all.
Best regards,
Chad (chad@antigravitybatteries.com)

Thanks Chad, so assume just normal parasitic draw for the car. How many times should I expect the Restart feature to work? Let's say I have to use it every time I start the car.. 2 months apart.. or will the 40ah, 60ah.. last the entire 2 months?
or.. does the Restart feature degrade too? can it become completely discharged and fail like the base battery?

And, I'm curious why folks use the 40ah antigravity when the oem is 70ah.

Thanks again..
Old 06-30-2021, 01:35 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Yes, that's wrong The cahnce of the tender burning the house down is less likely than your whole house collapsing in Florida. Just use a tender.
That sir is not funny...in fact, beyond being moronically sophomoric it was a down right vial and cruel thing to say.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:34 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It’s 2019 gt3. The car sits a month or two at a time and the battery has gone dead a couple of times to where I have to connect external power just to pop the frunk. These days after just a week I can still pop the frunk with the key fob but not start the car. I don’t use a tender cause I’m not around and don’t trust it not burn the house down... (is that wrong?)

so between an antgravity or an interstate, which can survive the 1-2 month idle time better. The sleep mode in the antigravity is attractive but if the h8 interstate ($175 at costco) will survive 4 years in these conditions then i’m good with that. Florida heat, but in a garage.

thanks!
Hey Victor, Scott from Antigravity here to give some other details...

- For cost effectiveness, yes the Lead-Acid Battery is the way to go. and Interstate is a solid brand of battery. The overall value from Lithium in the features, and also a longer lifespan, but its a front loaded cost with that higher initial buy in, but the payback with the features and lifespan we feel make up for that in spades.

- I noticed you said H8 Battery size... the H6 is the Battery size in the GT3s but maybe you are thinking you want more Capacity? The H6, H7, H8 all can fit in the GT3s but the H6 is the stock size battery. But honestly it sounds like that lead acid battery just needs replacing exspecially if you have over discharge it a few times which damages lead/Acid batteries. So look there first if you want to just get a battery in there and save some money.

- I owned a 2016 GT3 RS, We tested that up, down and sideway with all the Amp Hours of our Batteries. So my GT3RS was completely stock, and had no aftermarket electronics such as Cameras, Radar Detectors, USB Plugs or Phone chargers that could create more Parasitic draw, The car would get about 6+ weeks of storage time with the 40Ah Antigravity Battery and still be in the low 13v and even 12.9v range, and easily start the car up again. That was tested a number of times over a few years. and I used our Battery Tracker product that shows the history of the Voltage so I could see the exact draw on the battery and its losing it voltage by looking at the Bluetooth App. This allowed me to see the profile of the voltage going down. So a 6 weeks without having to resort to the RE-START Button to jump start it. But we also have a 60 Amp Hour Version of the same battery and if you had a stock 991 GT3 without the extra electronics mentioned above that I could tell you that Antigravity would guarantee you at least 8 weeks and longer of storage time, or we would refund you fully. I'm can say this because we tested in that exact Car for a few years and know the draws and storage times with our battery. Now I don't know if a 2019 had any added stuff on it that increases the Parasitic draw but I don't think so on the RSs.

- As one of the posters mentioned, you still have to charge the Antigravity Battery, but only if you have deeply discharged the Battery from a long term storage. For example if you stored your car after 6 weeks of storage you would have a battery that is in a low state of charge, so even if you drove 45 minutes it would not be fully recharged, nor would any battery since the Cars charging system does not charge super fast. 30 to 45 minutes of driving would be a absolutely sufficient charge for driving around normally and having storage of a few weeks, but if you intended to do another 6 weeks of storage you need the battery fully recharged again, or to drive about 2 hours around town or on and off during a day to get another deep charge in a previously drained battery.

- If you want to track your drain levels on your current battery before buying a new battery we have a product called the Battery Tracker that allows you to monitor all the Voltage as a graph so you can see at what rate your car is charged when driving , if you store the car you can see the speed and level of discharge over the course of a day or month by looking at the history graph, and it does other stuff to like testing your voltage drop during starting which tells if you battery is going bad. It works for lead or lithium batteries. takes two minutes to install and reports the data to your Mobile phone. https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...acker-lithium/

- If you do store the Car over two month or come back to a dead ( or what we call SLEEPING) Antigravity RE-START battery it will still be no problem from the battery perspective. Meaning that even if you go beyond the time, and the battery went to sleep and is OFF the battery will sit a few more weeks holding a lower but sufficient charge to get the car started again or get into the frunk. So you are safe and it won't hurt the battery. But after you wake up the battery you want to get a full charge on it.

- In the end the value over lead acid is in the features and lifespan of Lithium, not the initial buy-in cost. Some people feel it too high of a cost, and we fully understand that. On the other hand our battery can't be damaged by an over discharge like a lead acid battery can be, you can't be stranded or locked out of the frunk with a dead battery. Also and super important is that anyone can easily jumpstart our battery, for example a wife, without having to access, see or touch the battery since it is all wireless, you simply press the provided Wireless Keyfob and start the car. Last you get about twice the lifespan of lead/acid. and as we will always say if you unhappy with any of our stuff we will always pay shipping back to us and give you a full refund for up to 2 months after owning the product.

Oh yes there is also a 4th of July sale coming...

-
Old 06-30-2021, 03:52 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks Chad, so assume just normal parasitic draw for the car. How many times should I expect the Restart feature to work? Let's say I have to use it every time I start the car.. 2 months apart.. or will the 40ah, 60ah.. last the entire 2 months?
or.. does the Restart feature degrade too? can it become completely discharged and fail like the base battery?

And, I'm curious why folks use the 40ah antigravity when the oem is 70ah.

Thanks again..
I think the 40Ah might be cutting it close..but I would think the 60Ah should go for 2 months, again assuming our parasitic draw is "normal". But what we try to emphasize it that the feature itself is for emergency use, not so much of a substitution for maintaining the battery so in those longer durations it would still be best to occasionally check and top off the battery as needed. Additionally our recommendation would be to never let the battery sit in the sleep mode for longer than a month. The battery should not be able to get completely discharged having those protections built in so should never fail like the base battery did..unless it's left in that sleep mode for a very long duration or if the capacity if forcibly used (engaging the restart multiple times without charging the battery) From a functionality stand point the Restart feature should work as long as the battery lasts.

In regards to capacity..Lithium has a high percentage of usable capacity (about 90%) and even stronger cranking so it will not need to be an exact match to the lead/acid(about 50% usable) stock battery but we still try to stay relatively close. Going from a 70Ah lead/acid to a 40Ah Lithium is right within that realm and a good option and we still want to have enough reserve to ensure proper functionality in the car.

Best regards,
Chad
Old 06-30-2021, 09:30 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by marsh
I hardwired a tender connector to my car but did the negative to the battery terminal negative. Any insights into why you did yours to the car chassis? I read its not recommended to do negative to the battery if you are using the clamps due to risk of sparking but thought this would not be an issue with a hardwire.
I would have done it like that too, if there was a convenient thread to use on the neg side without using the clamp bolt, the nuts I put on have thread lock applied so no intention to remove those. Plus I didn't have a nut to fit the neg clamp bolt
Old 07-01-2021, 12:29 AM
victorc31
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

So as luck would have it I just learned that my recently acquired m4 has a lithium battery and it’s about to sit idle for a few weeks. It has 12.9 volts right now. It’s a 69ah. So I guess I have a real life testcase.

I like the 8 week guarantee on the 60ah battery though, that’s the kind of idle time I’m looking for. I definitely don’t drive the gt3 enough to fully charge it the way you describe, scott, thanks for all the info.

if I hook up a ctek on the agm in the gt3 and get it to full charge(it’s 10.8 volts right now) how would I know if it’s holding charge, besides letting it sit for weeks.
Old 07-01-2021, 01:42 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So as luck would have it I just learned that my recently acquired m4 has a lithium battery and it’s about to sit idle for a few weeks. It has 12.9 volts right now. It’s a 69ah. So I guess I have a real life testcase.

I like the 8 week guarantee on the 60ah battery though, that’s the kind of idle time I’m looking for. I definitely don’t drive the gt3 enough to fully charge it the way you describe, scott, thanks for all the info.

if I hook up a ctek on the agm in the gt3 and get it to full charge(it’s 10.8 volts right now) how would I know if it’s holding charge, besides letting it sit for weeks.
Hey Victor, those M4s are nice. Also this will be a good for you with your BMW to see how long it will stay, its always good to know how long your cars can sit before a full discharge happens. The M4 has that 70Ah Lithium Battery in there stock, we have not tested for the M4 yet, but that is a nice Amp Hour rating to get a longer storage time. I assume the M4 has a much larger parasitic drain than the GT3RS does, due to more electronics and comfort features, but maybe these newer BMWs have a good system for the Car that puts most the parasitic draws into a very low state when the car is closed and locked and goes to sleep. Post up again after you do the test, we always like data like this so we can know how different cars are performing in terms of static storage with a given amp hour lithium battery.

Old 07-01-2021, 04:45 PM
slumdog
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by usrodeo4
That sir is not funny...in fact, beyond being moronically sophomoric it was a down right vial and cruel thing to say.

....I disagree, a moronic bunch of home owners who dont perform routine maintenance in spite to continuous and recurring warning, years in advance, and then the house falls down....
The following users liked this post:
wtforce (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 11:08 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,304 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Certainly not my findings.
You must have far more battery draw than I since i can easily go a month or more....and still never had to use the backup feature or tender.
that has been my experience as well with antigravity.

Quick Reply: Replacing battery question