Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 05:35 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Pccb or Iron Kit?

In response:

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
Recd PM from some 991 enthusiasts expressing interest in our ZR1/Porsche kit and asked for more information.

https://racingbrake.com/por-991-crp-394-390

We have other kits but this is the closest kit to Essex/AP only iron rotor kit (394/380) that has been actively advertised in this forum.

We are offering a special $3,000 price deduct toward the purchase of this kit by using coupon code "DED-3000"

1. Limited to 3 orders only (first come first serve).

2. Good for 3 days until 6/12/21 subject to 3 kits in total.

Compare:
  • Pricing
  • Wt saving
  • Durability-Purchasers agree to post track review
  • Caliper design (piston sizing & bias)
  • Brake pad sizes
  • Caliper color/finish choice
  • Replacement frequency and overall cost
  • Flexibility & system compatibility to OE; Our rear is the same as pccb, on the front you can add a caliper spacer to run factory pccb @410x36

Last edited by RacingBrake; 06-09-2021 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:48 PM
5teve
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for positing. I have a few questions.

How would this system compare to the stock PCCB system?
Can the CCB rotors be refurbished?
Could I use a single pad for both street and track use? I'm not going to be racing and only anticipate about 4-5 HPDE a year.

You mentioned the kit could last a lifetime if brake pad maintenance is done. Does that mean you wouldn't expect the disks to ever likely need replacing, only the pads?
You also mention the lower cost since the disks are the same as the ZR1. What kind of costs are those? I see the links on your website, so assume that would be the expected amount? (ie: $1500 rotor, $610 pad).
Old 06-09-2021, 06:36 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

How would this system compare to the stock PCCB system?
This ZR1/Porsche 394/390 kit is "similar in size to Essex 390/380 kit that's the solo choice for 991 track racers which is for the low cost disc and pad replacement from ZR1 while still maintain the compatibility with OE pccb set up.
We have another kit replacing factory pccb rotor sizes, the rotors are made with long carbon fiber (vs. pccb's chopped fibers), and angle vanes so it's an upgrade system kit to factory pccb.
https://racingbrake.com/por-991-crp-410-390
Can the CCB rotors be refurbished?
Yes, our CCB rotors are refurbish-able.

Could I use a single pad for both street and track use?
ST600 is our newly developed compound exclusively for CCB rotors which was basically a medium/high track pads (similar to Pagid RSC1) it can also be used on street provided you don't mind on occasional low pitch squeaking.
Here is a review of ST600 on GTR forum.

Racing Brake ST600 CCB Pad Review

https://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/318802-racing-brake-st600-ccb-pad-review/

You mentioned the kit could last a lifetime if brake pad maintenance is done. Does that mean you wouldn't expect the disks to ever likely need replacing, only the pads?
Yes that's correct.

You also mention the lower cost since the disks are the same as the ZR1. What kind of costs are those? I see the links on your website, so assume that would be the expected amount? (ie: $1500 rotor, $610 pad).
The front/rear discs can run you abut $1,500 +/- per rotor, once you own RB rotor assembly you can just swap the discs from GM dealers or online retail stores eBay/Amazon by disassembling the hat and re-assembling them to RB hats, done! The brake pads for our calipers are the same as Corvette ZR1, Camaro Z28, McLaren, Aston Martin so the price is transparent and easily available.

Purchasing RB kit can seamlessly merge with your OE system, so you have total freedom in sourcing your own replacement parts than dealing with Porsche dealers (factory pccb) and/or AP's dealers if you ever own AP kits.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:30 PM
5teve
Instructor

The front/rear discs can run you abut $1,500 +/- per rotor, once you own RB rotor assembly you can just swap the discs from GM dealers or online retail stores eBay/Amazon by disassembling the hat and re-assembling them to RB hats, done! The brake pads for our calipers are the same as Corvette ZR1, Camaro Z28, McLaren, Aston Martin so the price is transparent and easily available.

Purchasing RB kit can seamlessly merge with your OE system, so you have total freedom in sourcing your own replacement parts than dealing with Porsche dealers (factory pccb) and/or AP's dealers if you ever own AP kits.
How many times can the RB CCB rotors be resurfaced?

Are the GM rotors the same CCB material as the RB ones and can they be resurfaced as well?
Old 06-09-2021, 08:45 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 5teve
How many times can the RB CCB rotors be resurfaced?

Are the GM rotors the same CCB material as the RB ones and can they be resurfaced as well?
4-5 times maybe.
Brembo OE type is not re-furbishable, after our repeated experiments still have no success.
You can learn more on different material material and construction here:
https://racingbrake.com/tech-info/
Old 06-09-2021, 08:50 PM
5teve
Instructor

4-5 times maybe.
Brembo OE type is not re-furbishable, after our repeated experiments still have no success.
You can learn more on different material material and construction here:
https://racingbrake.com/tech-info/
Ok, thanks. Do you also sell the RB CCB replacement rings only? I only saw 2 different sizes on your website, but not the 394 size. How durable are the Brembo OE CCM rotors compared to the RB ones? I likely would not have to replace the RB ones, but just trying to determine cost/performance if I needed to.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:08 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Front Replacement CR01 (394x36): https://racingbrake.com/cr01

Rear Replacement CR26 (390x32): https://racingbrake.com/cr26

You can't buy just the discs, you must purchase the rotor assembly and switch the discs to RB hats. These rotors are easy to find from internet retailers or GM dealers. OE rotors (including pccb) supplied by Brembo are made of "chopped" carbon fiber so they are prone to oxidation, chipping, and damage.

RB rotors are made with continuous carbon fiber (same as Surface Transforms), but are made to directional. The first and only CCM rotors made to RB design with directional (angle) vanes so they are strong and can pump more cooling air to keep the rotor cool - More direct and effective than cooling ducts.

These rotors and ST600 brake pads were put to track tests by Modular Motorsports Racing on their dedicated track car (Mustang GT350R) every week since April until last week. Another GT350R equipped with stock iron rotor and aftermarket track pads run side by side for comparison in braking temperature, and I was surprised to be reported by Mark that CCM/ST600 setup recorded some 90-110F cooler than the iron counterpart, as normally CCM rotors braking temperature s/b higher than iron due to lower mass. Same set of ST600 pad lasts a total of 8 track days before the front pads was switched to sintered XC-40 for further testing.

The next test is to switch factory Brembo calipers to RB calipers.

Anyone from Porsche track community found inadequacy on stock pccb, or aftermarket Surface Transforms CCM, or Essex/AP iron kit, this is your opportunity.

Last edited by RacingBrake; 06-10-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:19 PM
5teve
Instructor

Front Replacement CR01 (394x36): https://racingbrake.com/cr01

Rear Replacement CR26 (390x32): https://racingbrake.com/cr26

You can't buy just the discs, you must purchase the rotor assembly and switch the discs to RB hats. These rotors are easy to find from internet retailers or GM dealers. OE rotors (including pccb) supplied by Brembo are made of "chopped" carbon fiber so they are prone to oxidation, chipping, and damage.

RB rotors are made with continuous carbon fiber (same as Surface Transforms), but are made to directional. The first and only CCM rotors made to RB design with directional (angle) vanes so they are strong and can pump more cooling air to keep the rotor cool - More direct and effective than cooling ducts.
Are the replacement disks on your site the OE Brembo ones or RB ones that could be resurfaced? I understand I could purchase the OE Corvette ZR1 rotor assembly and switch the hats, but wouldn't that be an inferior quality disk as you mentioned they are made of chopped fiber versus strands?

I'm just trying to understand all the different carbon replacement options if I were to purchase the RB set.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:44 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

GM Brembo discs are not refurbishable (It was tried several time still has no success)
RB discs are refurbishable.

Both replacement discs are add to the webpage (under description)
Replacement rotor discs:
GM: CR01 (ZR1 front) - Sold in each
GM: CR26 (ZR1 C7 rear) - Sold in each
---------------------------------
RB: CR32 (front) - Sold in pair
RB: CR20 (rear) - Sold in pair

Last edited by RacingBrake; 06-11-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:01 PM
5teve
Instructor

Ahh ok, I think I'm getting it now. I didn't realize you sold both the OE GM disks as well as the RB disks.

Does this kit, https://racingbrake.com/por-991-crp-394-390, come with the RB or GM disks?
From the description it appears they are the OE GM disks, and therefore couldn't be resurfaced.
"Same Discs AND Pads as Corvette ZR1 (Z06 C7) so the replacement components (discs and pads) are easy to source at low cost and with plenty of choice in brake pad compounds"

Also, could the XT600 pads be used for HPDE track days as well?
Looks like you recommend they should not and the XC sintered pads should be instead?
Old 06-10-2021, 02:15 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

All our RB-CCB brake kits are using RB-CCB directional rotors including this kit. GM discs are listed so people are more familiar with them.
ST600 would be the default brake pads for all CCM rotors that shall satisfy about 95% of the drivers* from street to track, while sintered XC-40/41 is only for some highly discriminating racers (Like heavy Hellcat >170 mph)

*Must realize some compromise eg. - It's not for ultra high speed tracking, and it may squeak hear there, from time to time on street driving before stops.

Last edited by RacingBrake; 06-10-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:46 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

The calipers:
Front 6 Pot Caliper (Loaded):

Rear 4 Pot Caliper (Loaded):

Comparison on RB & Essex brake kit:

RB CCB/Iron Kit: All components; pads, rotors, and calipers are 100% compatible with Corvette ZR1 and OE so for future replacement you would deal with GM dealers and/or aftermarket suppliers. RB kit merges seamlessly with OE into ONE brake system for the flexibility and easy source of low cost replacement parts.

Essex Iron Kit: None of the components is compatible so buying Essex kit means you will own TWO separate systems which will make you wonder which system to upkeep? and when it comes to replacement parts, you can only deal with Porsche dealers and/or Essex (AP distributor)

Once RB kit is in place you simply keep the calipers there and swap only the rotor and pad as needed - No need to "bleed the system" as swapping the calipers.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:00 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Compare the brake bias:

Compare the brake pad (front) size:

AP:

RB (Same as Brembo ZR1):

Old 06-30-2021, 03:23 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

https://racingbrake.com/POR.991.crk.380-380

Last edited by RacingBrake; 06-30-2021 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Pccb or Iron Kit?