Sponsored by:

GT3RS Wing Delete Track Experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 04:34 PM
xstnte
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 134 Posts
Default GT3RS Wing Delete Track Experience

I posted a version (with video) on my IG. I'm not sure how many of us have done this mod and of those who have, how many of us track the car so I wanted to post here to share the experience of tracking a GT3RS without a wing. The good news, I did not die. I know some of you will do the "put the wing back on the car," "you're going to die" etc. spiel, please feel free to share, but the wing isn't going back on--at least not until I can get some more data.

A week ago I brought out a 991.2 GT3RS onto Portland International Raceway during an HOD even. It was only my second time out on PIR (and first time on PIR with the GT3RS). My best lap of the session was 1:27:23 (not fast, I know) and a top speed of 146.4 mph. The only changes to the car are BBS FI-R wheels (with Cup 2 tires) and rear wing delete (insert your grievances here). Suspension components and settings were factory.

The lack of rear downforce on the 911 clearly had the most impact in terms of stability and handling at higher speed, obviously not for the better--there should be no argument from anyone on this. For that reason the goal was to keep top speed under 145 mph. Initially the braking zone on the front and back straights felt unusually long, but with more and more laps the car was able to progressively shorten that distance without concern. I can say 100% since it was my first time on PIR with the RS that I was being very cautious about higher speeds. The car is noticeably less stable than the GT4 (which has less downforce compared to a stock GT3RS) at speed as well as on hard braking. When under 80 mph, I was mainly focused on minute car control and trying to initiate minor slip followed by the appropriate response. At these speeds, however, the car does not feel substantially different without a rear wing

For comparison, the best lap of the day last fall in the totally stock GT4 was 1:29:31 (also no fast) and top speed on the straight was 139.5 mph. There was a lot of time left in that car, but not terrible for a first time out.

There's still a LOT of improvement to be made in my line, braking and throttle input. With a few minor technique changes and not much effort otherwise, the car should be able to easily hit 1:25. I'll also have to resist trying to make the car slide--which is a ton of fun. With the wing and proper suspension adjustments, the car could do so much more.

Thanks for reading!

The following users liked this post:
FLACHT6_pilot (02-05-2022)
Old 04-26-2021, 04:57 PM
jkob5
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

So you're purposefully making it unstable on track and limiting your top speed? Hey, it's you car, do what you want, but
The following users liked this post:
Jerrym (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 05:03 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

This is my old 991.1 GT3 at PIR, totally stock, 1:23.6. Without a wing I would expect about the same at PIR on street tires for a ‘wingless’ 991 RS. Full disclosure this was not me in the car, but my racing buddy. As another data point my 997.2 GT3 with Hoosiers did a 1:22.8.

I would say the biggest gain on the track with a wing will be 9 and 10, and next 4 and 5. The other corners are slow enough to not have a significant aero effect. I would give it about a second improvement overall with the wing back on, which is right in the range of a 1:22 ‘ish” laptime at PIR. Of course to get to those times requires a significant commitment in 70-90 mph corners with walls close by. PIR looks like a simple track, but is actually quite technical to get down to an optimal lap time.

In my SRF I have done a 1:23.5 and the track record for SRF is now 1:22.9. All with just 135 Hp!!

Thanks for the update, be safe out there and have fun!

Old 04-26-2021, 09:30 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 342 Posts

For me it's hard enough keeping the hammer down coming over the top of turn 1 at Laguna. The thought of doing it without a wing would probably get me rear ended.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:06 AM
xstnte
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 134 Posts

that’s incredibly fast! I’ve been a Radicals a few times and the experience of a high downforce car is amazing, One of the sales guys from the local Porsche dealer brought out his race Miata with a 2.4L Acura engine swap. It was able to hold so much speed through the turns.

totally agree about the nuances in the track. It’s a lot of fun.

Originally Posted by montoya
https://youtu.be/UiGNJ-FWqfM

This is my old 991.1 GT3 at PIR, totally stock, 1:23.6. Without a wing I would expect about the same at PIR on street tires for a ‘wingless’ 991 RS. Full disclosure this was not me in the car, but my racing buddy. As another data point my 997.2 GT3 with Hoosiers did a 1:22.8.

I would say the biggest gain on the track with a wing will be 9 and 10, and next 4 and 5. The other corners are slow enough to not have a significant aero effect. I would give it about a second improvement overall with the wing back on, which is right in the range of a 1:22 ‘ish” laptime at PIR. Of course to get to those times requires a significant commitment in 70-90 mph corners with walls close by. PIR looks like a simple track, but is actually quite technical to get down to an optimal lap time.

In my SRF I have done a 1:23.5 and the track record for SRF is now 1:22.9. All with just 135 Hp!!

Thanks for the update, be safe out there and have fun!
Old 04-27-2021, 09:23 AM
twk63
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 57 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something but other than aesthetics, why delete the rear wing? Especially if you are tracking the car?
Old 04-27-2021, 10:10 AM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

Interesting story.. Keep enjoying your car!!

Quick Reply: GT3RS Wing Delete Track Experience