Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

On my list to do that track this year!

Awesome lap!
Old 03-02-2021, 12:18 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 240 Posts

We need more threads like this in here. Well done.

Curious, what tires were you running?
Old 03-02-2021, 02:17 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Onboad footage of a lap at Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta in the 991.2 GT3RS with stock aero, MCS/Dundon Suspension and Dundon Street Headers. Previous best was a 1:31.6xx in some nice cool air. This lap was during a sunny 74 degree day.

I raced there in '75 in my only AMA season on a TZ-350 (D)...you are carrying a hell of a lot more speed then I did, that is for sure. Well done.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:58 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

SmartyCam mic and camera. With the Driving Club at Road Atlanta we drive with the windows up. That is why you don’t have any wind noise and pure engine sounds from the lap.
Great driving and great footage Seth!

Not wanting to start a polemic... What are your thoughts around Windows up track events?
if positive... Any suggestions as to how to go about getting stronger adoption in North America?
Old 03-02-2021, 08:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Bravo, not a easy track very fast ......that last turn downhill scares the crap out of me.
You go over blind and then wait for this dip of front left wheel to initiate turn.. it's sort of like the corkscrew at Laguna, you almost have to rely on landmarks and trust that it will all come out ok.

My best is a 1:33 and change in GT4 CS... I have no idea how Seth does a time this fast. Congrats dude!
The following users liked this post:
Seth Thomas (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 09:35 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by DHI
Great driving and great footage Seth!

Not wanting to start a polemic... What are your thoughts around Windows up track events?
if positive... Any suggestions as to how to go about getting stronger adoption in North America?
IMHO I think it is the safest way around a track. Windows up will keep objects from flying in or out of a car especially at the speeds we are doing in street cars now. I am not sure why most of the clubs still mandate windows down because the insurance for a track day does not require it. For the Driving Club at Road Atlanta, where I am in charge of the driver development, we made the decision from the start to give our members the option of windows up or down. When making that decision I stressed the safety of having them up and when we asked Road Atlanta about what they allowed, the answer was either way you guys want to do it. They left it up to us. From an instructor basis is makes it a lot easier to have a conversation with a student in the car. The only downside the wail of the 4.0L motor at 7.5k-9.0k RPM makes it hard to talk period. But yes I do think it is safer.
thuggo (03-05-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 09:12 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 161 Posts

IMHO I think it is the safest way around a track. Windows up will keep objects from flying in or out of a car especially at the speeds we are doing in street cars now. I am not sure why most of the clubs still mandate windows down because the insurance for a track day does not require it. For the Driving Club at Road Atlanta, where I am in charge of the driver development, we made the decision from the start to give our members the option of windows up or down. When making that decision I stressed the safety of having them up and when we asked Road Atlanta about what they allowed, the answer was either way you guys want to do it. They left it up to us. From an instructor basis is makes it a lot easier to have a conversation with a student in the car. The only downside the wail of the 4.0L motor at 7.5k-9.0k RPM makes it hard to talk period. But yes I do think it is safer.
Agreed, windows up makes the most sense. The excuse I hear the most is that you need the windows down to give point by's for passing.

Nice driving!
Seth Thomas (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 10:06 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RossP
Agreed, windows up makes the most sense. The excuse I hear the most is that you need the windows down to give point by's for passing.

Nice driving!
Street cars have indicators and a lot of clubs allow indicators to signal passes now. That excuse is no longer legit unless they only allow you to stick your arm out the window at 150 MPH.

Thanks for the comments. There will be more to come out of this one!
Old 03-03-2021, 11:36 AM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 93 Posts

I did not want to derail the tread with this great lap at Rd Atlanta but we should use the opportunity to tackle this important topic.

We should use the power of a community of enthusiasts like Rennlist with the support of KOL like Seth to approach at least PCA and other large groups like Chin. It is very clear that while the organizers use the tracks as excuse, it is not the tracks that are mandating windows down. It is rather an old habit that these folks have a hard time letting go. For instance, Porsche driving school uses windows up (getting support from them somehow would be great) while PCA, Chin, JustTrackIt mandate windows down on the same beautiful Barber track.

The benefits are to many to mention, safer point by with blinkers while keeping your hands on the wheel, no junk flying through your window, keeping the car’s designed aerodynamics avoiding things such as cracked gorilla glass.

We need some unified coordinated effort and I am happy to be part of it as I am sick and tired of windows down...
The following 2 users liked this post by aalencar:
DHI (03-03-2021), usrodeo4 (03-05-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 11:45 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aalencar
I did not want to derail the tread with this great lap at Rd Atlanta but we should use the opportunity to tackle this important topic.

We should use the power of a community of enthusiasts like Rennlist with the support of KOL like Seth to approach at least PCA and other large groups like Chin. It is very clear that while the organizers use the tracks as excuse, it is not the tracks that are mandating windows down. It is rather an old habit that these folks have a hard time letting go. For instance, Porsche driving school uses windows up (getting support from them somehow would be great) while PCA, Chin, JustTrackIt mandate windows down on the same beautiful Barber track.

The benefits are to many to mention, safer point by with blinkers while keeping your hands on the wheel, no junk flying through your window, keeping the car’s designed aerodynamics avoiding things such as cracked gorilla glass.

We need some unified coordinated effort and I am happy to be part of it as I am sick and tired of windows down...
I'm going to take this offline and lets discuss. I'll PM you my email address for us to continue the conversation
DHI (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 11:52 AM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Thank-you for the well articulated thoughts Seth!
Having a Pro like yourself chime into this is important for the improvement and evolution of DEs and Track events.
usrodeo4 (03-05-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 11:52 AM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm going to take this offline and lets discuss. I'll PM you my email address for us to continue the conversation
thanks a lot Seth. Just sent you an email. Looking forward to chatting with you.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:15 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 161 Posts

Street cars have indicators and a lot of clubs allow indicators to signal passes now. That excuse is no longer legit unless they only allow you to stick your arm out the window at 150 MPH.
100% agree. Ive even had issues with some clubs (BMWCCA) not letting me run with my window net up on my former race car. That one baffled me.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:06 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 69 Posts

Nice! What tires?
Old 03-05-2021, 10:42 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coryf
Nice! What tires?
Cup 2R