Cup 2 as a Track Tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 07:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,128 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by DHI
For reference, the good folks at ApexTaxi in Nurburgring applaud the Cup2 as their tire of choice for their GT car and say they can get up to 90-100 laps or something like that.
I find that promising.
Yeah, I almost never notice tire degradation when I drive the Ring. I can't get close to the limit on most of the corners (the corners are so much faster than anything at my local track). Brakes last forever on the Ring too (as long as you don't race down the straight on a TF day and brake hard for the exit).
The following users liked this post:
DHI (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 11:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,027 Likes on 5,240 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yeah, I almost never notice tire degradation when I drive the Ring. I can't get close to the limit on most of the corners (the corners are so much faster than anything at my local track). Brakes last forever on the Ring too (as long as you don't race down the straight on a TF day and brake hard for the exit).
That's in part because the 'Ring may be the best momentum track in the world.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:47 AM
ringzero
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

My thoughts/experience. Track dependant but to generalize yada yada.. average surface abrasion, cup2 or Dunlop likely to heat cycle out before cording for most drivers, unless you really like being loose everywhere. Cup2 for me lasted better and performed better with -2.5/3.0 camber, Dunlops didn’t seem to care. I tend to prefer more camber in the car (not just this car), and on average got more life out of cup2s. There seems to be lots of folks out there who prefer the car on stock camber. The general vibe is those folks like the Dunlops. Biggest factor for cup 2 longevity for me wasn’t heat cycle count but how long I’m pushing with them overheated. They’ve got 1 or 2 great laps, when they go greasy take a slower lap, then go again. Stay on it for 12 laps? Hockey pucks by end of day. The Dunlop is less sensitive to heat this way, in my time with them, but ultimately it’s the same story. IMO. With lots of racing experience you’ll feel what the tire is doing quickly and settle in on an approach where you can balance tire life vs hooliganing. I pretend each session is a qualifying session, looking for one great lap.
The following 2 users liked this post by ringzero:
DHI (02-04-2021), hsb1001 (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 07:46 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Ive tried almost all the tires that fit our cars and the Cup 2's came out the worst for feeling like sliding blocks after 2-3 laps when they get hot. Dunlops for consistency wins hands down. Like above many say that you will heat cycle through them way before they cord depending on driving and your race experience will tell you when they are toast.
The following users liked this post:
ringzero (02-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Cup 2 as a Track Tire