Sponsored by:

Purchasing a Helmet for Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 01:23 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Statistically....
I have MUCH more often regretted an "economical" purchase then a "proper" (read higher quality) one.

Worst yet... found myself trying a cheaper product only to end up buying what I should have right off the bat.

I am normally quite frugal but right now.... BUY SOMETHING GOOD !!!
Old 01-26-2021, 02:22 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Drive with windows up.

Don't sign up for any events that require windows down. So stupid and outdated.

Problem solved.
PCA requires windows down, and removal of floor mats (which are essentially nailed down on the posts in Porsches since, I think, 1999), and then the nothing in the car if it's not bolted down is another PCA favorite (while most people I know just have suction mounts for their stuff.)

Maybe that's dangerous, maybe that's outdated. . . Cue the PCA fanatics:
Old 01-26-2021, 02:24 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,742 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I agree it's moronic to mandate windows down, but I would have to retire from driving in the US if I only participated in events that allowed window up (like allowed in Europe).
If you are ever in SoCal, Grant, let me know.

We'll run our cars with windows down all day long.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WP0
PCA requires windows down, and removal of floor mats (which are essentially nailed down on the posts in Porsches since, I think, 1999), and then the nothing in the car if it's not bolted down is another PCA favorite (while most people I know just have suction mounts for their stuff.)

Maybe that's dangerous, maybe that's outdated. . . Cue the PCA fanatics:
That's the problem.

Running with PCA.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:30 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
If you are ever in SoCal, Grant, let me know.
Thanks!
Old 01-26-2021, 02:33 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Mozella55
Ask Dale Earnhardt Sr. He died wearing an open face helmet.
Dale Earnhardt didn't die because he was wearing an open face helmet...
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
200mph (01-27-2021), PGas32 (01-28-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 02:35 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Dale Earnhardt didn't die because he was wearing an open face helmet...
Right, he died from not having a HANS device

"The underside of Earnhardt's chin struck and bent the steering wheel, a blow that could have been enough to cause a fatal skull injury. But the head whipping by itself would have killed Earnhardt, Myers said. The report also states that a helmet with a full-face mask would not have saved Earnhardt."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/natio...iew-story.html

Last edited by GrantG; 01-26-2021 at 02:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
200mph (01-27-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 02:39 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ask Dale Earnhardt Sr. He died wearing an open face helmet.
LOL.

I'm sure Dale Earnhardt also died while wearing shoes. Does that mean wearing shoes was the cause of his death?

#CorrelationIsNotCausation
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
iammacey (01-27-2021), pissedpuppy (01-27-2021), whojoemama (01-27-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 03:02 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by RLNTL3S
Thanks for the input guys - very much appreciate it.

I am a newbie when it comes to track days and everything that goes along with it. Not afraid to ask a "dumb" question, so thanks for not bashing.

Due to current events, I am thinking of trying a few different brands on Amazon, that are Prime and have free returns. This way I can see which I prefer, and be completely in the clear if I want to return due to not perfect fit.
I know of several people who go on a track day for the experience, then never do it again. Then there are others I know who become track ****** after the first event, like me

Having never been on track, you will start in the novice group, with an instructor who will keep you in line. The chance of a major accident is unlikely in this instance. Though I agree on buying the best safety equipment, I don't think you should spend $1K on a one time use in a low risk situation. Borrow one that fits, or buy a good brand (Bell, Simpson, G-Force) SA2015 for several hundred bucks. Open or closed does not matter, but check with the event you are going to in case they do limit it. Now, if you are bit by the bug and want to continue on to advanced and eventually expert run groups, now we're talking carbon fiber, full face, Hans device, roll bar, etc, etc, etc.

Good luck, have fun, listen to your instructor.
The following 2 users liked this post by Palting:
RLNTL3S (01-26-2021), vdar (01-29-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 03:19 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 326 Posts

Ask Dale Earnhardt Sr. He died wearing an open face helmet. Do you see ANY serious race car drivers wearing one anymore? In many cases, they're not even legal.

Right now your interest might be Porsche Club Track days, but check the helmet rules for other sanctioning bodies. Generally speaking SCCA Solo II rules allow older or lesser rated helmets, but the requirements for SCCA road racing will be more stringent. And, sometimes other groups have open track days, like your local BMW club for instance. And consider that some day you might even decide to take your car to the drag races, perhaps just to test the before and after effects of a new exhaust system. Who knows what the future holds, so do some research and get a helmet which is legal in other venues too.
Usually it's easy to find the helmet specifications for various organizations. And, since it's your head rattling around inside whatever helmet you purchase, buy a good one that really fits.

Finally, if you ever go "real" racing, especially in the South, you might consider getting a helmet with a fitting for providing cool air. I don't race anymore but I highly valued my helmet cold air supply system when I did. Full disclosure: My entire body is covered in a thick layer of fat with a layer of coarse black hair on top of that. So you might not value refrigerated air as much as I do.
Dale died from the brain being disconnected from the lower cortex due to basilar skull fracture associated with his body coming to a sudden stop but his head continuing...it had nothing whatsoever to do with wearing an open face helmet.
200mph (01-27-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 03:51 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 114 Posts

I prefer Bell for the fit add a little paint while your at it. Also go with a Hans device you never know!
Old 01-27-2021, 05:55 AM
handdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 82 Posts

i went with stilo full carbon w/ a hans device...had the comms units hard wired into the helmet for driver and passenger...its a nice feature if you have an instructor or passenger...when i was racing motorcycles a guy once said "if you have a $2 head then buy a $2 helmet"...so i've never skimped on that despite how all can be rate tested the same by dot and snell
Old 01-27-2021, 02:37 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 279 Posts

Definitely try them on. I really wanted to like Stilo, but it just doesn't fit me well. I have a Bell M8 that fits much better for my head shape.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:14 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

I bought a Stilo. Love it. As suggested, buy an SA2020 rated helmet. Then it's good for 10 years.

It's been my experience with helmets, both for cars and motorcycles, higher cost often equates to greater comfort and better fitment choices.

You should absolutely follow the advice of trying helmets on. And try on balaclavas as well so you know how they will feel. Different thread patterns and different helmet fits will potentially put pressure points on your head. Some moto helmets feel fine for 15 minutes but an hour into a ride a splitting headache isn't enjoyable. Try them on. Wear them for a while in the shop. Fit is important.
RLNTL3S (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 06:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Goes without saying, but try to learn your head shape (round, round oval, long oval) before going, as the fitter should know which makes/models fit which head shapes best. A good way to do that is to go to a motorcycle store and try on some different Arai helmet models. They have different models for different head shapes and it doesn't take too long to figure out which is right for you. The worst is trying to fit a long oval head into a more round helmet.

Quick Reply: Purchasing a Helmet for Track Day