Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side deletes grenaded Center Muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 07:53 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 181 Posts

My car is basically used for track, my center muffle blew a hole in it at 10k.
I have-no issues blowing up OE muffler, I knew when I put on Fabspeed catless headers, this was most
likely going to happen.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:14 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

I have almost new Center and Side Mufflers removed from a stock 991 GT3 with under 300 Miles For Sale.
Also selling my Crawford 991 GT3 60 Inch raised Rear Wing Assembly and Wiring Harness with 24 LED Pylon Mounted Brake Lights.
PM me if interested in buying either.

991 GT3 Stock Exhaust System

60" Crawford Wing w/ extended Pylons and LED Brake Lights with Wiring Harness for all 991 GT3

Old 01-19-2021, 09:09 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Update. Took the car in for debug with my local Porsche dealership, they checked it out and even stethoscoped the exhaust and believe the sound is coming from valves on my side deletes
" looks like it coming from both side valves. As far as we can tell the valves themselves are vibrating when in the closed position, when you hit the sport exhaust the valve position changes the rattle goes away. Looks like in the closed position the vibration of the engine is causing htem to rattle and cause the noise"
​​​​​​So, have any of you had any issues with the valves on your after market exhausts? I've shot an email to the manufacturer for next steps. I did have some vibrating/noise when I first installed them that we could never resolve but, now it's got far far worse and I need to fix these or pull them off the car.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:39 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Yeah, I've seen reports of valves from certain manufacturers rattling and/or going bad. There is a little adjusting nut on the actuator arm for the valve that you can loosen/tighten to adjust the tension on the arm and valve plate. But it might only be a temporary/band-aide solution.
The following users liked this post:
iphilips (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 08:22 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 535 Posts

Three systems from Dundon on three different cars and zero problems. Total miles across the three cars is north of 48,000 miles.
The following users liked this post:
iphilips (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 10:49 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by iphilips
Update. Took the car in for debug with my local Porsche dealership, they checked it out and even stethoscoped the exhaust and believe the sound is coming from valves on my side deletes
" looks like it coming from both side valves. As far as we can tell the valves themselves are vibrating when in the closed position, when you hit the sport exhaust the valve position changes the rattle goes away. Looks like in the closed position the vibration of the engine is causing htem to rattle and cause the noise"
​​​​​​So, have any of you had any issues with the valves on your after market exhausts? I've shot an email to the manufacturer for next steps. I did have some vibrating/noise when I first installed them that we could never resolve but, now it's got far far worse and I need to fix these or pull them off the car.
I understood your original post to say it is more noticeable with the exhaust button on, but the tech says pressing the button makes is less noticeable - ?
Old 01-20-2021, 10:59 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Testing on the way home today it goes away when the valves are open vs closed. I think the PSE is just confusing when the valves open so wasn't predictable when testing earlier.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:40 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

I hope you all had a Happy New Year.

Please send in pictures of your rattling GT3 exhaust valves and or any rattling exhaust valves. Most likely you have cheap extremely low quality Chinese exhaust valves in your GT3 side muffler bypass pipes. Fabspeed Motorsport USA is the Worlds 1st company that designed and engineered GT3 side muffler bypass pipes to replace factory GT3 side mufflers. At Fabspeed we ONLY use factory Porsche GT3 silicon carbide exhaust valves imported from Great Britain.

The Chinese exhaust valves that all other companies weld into GT3 side muffler bypass pipes will fail immediately unless the car is a 100% garage queen on a battery charger and never driven hard in anger. 8 years ago Fabspeed Motorsport stopped using Chinese vacuum actuated exhaust valves as the quality was simply terrible. Chinese exhaust valves can not take the extreme heat, vibration of rear engine high horsepower, 987.2, 981, GT3, GT4 and GT2RS cars. The exhaust pipes turn cherry red under full load exhaust pulses vibration and backfires destroy the low quality cheap exhaust valves. On your GT3 with race headers you are simply melting the elastomeric vacuum pot and snapping the actuator arms since they flutter uncontrollably.

Fabspeed Motorsport was appointed by Helical Limited as their North American & South American importer distributor and we partner with Helical on exhaust development. Helical Limited United Kingdom manufacturers aerospace quality ISO certified exhaust valves along with turbocharger actuators. Helical was chosen as the OEM supplier of exhaust valves by Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, McLaren, Aston Martin and other hypercar manufacturers. Since these OEMs can not have exhaust valves fail, rattle and melt as failure would require a complete component replacement in a welded exhaust system. You can cut out a Chinese exhaust valves and weld in another but the quality is still terrible and has not improved. Some companies are keen to sand-blast off the Chinese stickers and QR codes to camouflage origin while taking your hard earned Porsche dollars.

At Fabspeed, it's important to ensure all Porsche enthusiasts are well educated for any and all upgrades on their vehicles. If you're in need of a set of Helical Valves, reach out and we will be happy to assist.

www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist

Last edited by Joe@Fabspeed; 01-22-2021 at 06:35 PM. Reason: revised link
Old 01-24-2021, 12:18 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 535 Posts

That's a pretty broad brushstroke on valves. It sounds as if you are saying everyone else uses substandard valves. Personally I wouldn't buy anything from Fubspeed.
The following 4 users liked this post by Alan C.:
ajw45 (01-24-2021), AnthonyGan (01-24-2021), BlazinPond (01-25-2021), sgreer78 (01-26-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 05:39 PM
garudatwo
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Joe, per stock photos, this product seems to still use the low quality chinese valves you're disparaging:
https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-987...onversion-kit/
The following 2 users liked this post by garudatwo:
AnthonyGan (01-26-2021), BlazinPond (01-25-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 06:17 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by garudatwo
Joe, per stock photos, this product seems to still use the low quality chinese valves you're disparaging:
https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-987...onversion-kit/
Hey Garaudatwo, thanks for pointing that out. Fabspeed Motorsport has had 25+ years designing, engineering and innovating performance systems for Exotic cars focusing on Porsche, we phased in Helical Exhaust valves in 2012 (a little over 8 years ago). The product you found is our unique Porsche Cayman/Boxster Tracktec system that since 2012 has been built with Helical U.K. exhaust valves. Thankfully, the product photo is simply outdated (so we appreciate the audit!). It's tough keeping up with 99% accuracy as we improve designs. As with most things, on-going improvement and development are vital to success as new technologies are incorporated. We've had absolutely terrible durability issues with substandard Chinese valves.

In 2012 Fabspeed partnered with the Helical aerospace group of Great Britain and we utilize ONLY Helical valves in our exhaust systems like the 987/981 Cayman Tracktec system. We'll be happy to follow-up with an updated proof of photo and date to show it as the photo also now needs to be updated on our website. There's a few sets slated for fabrication in the next week.

In addition, in 2007 Fabspeed engineered the worlds very 1st GT3 side muffler valved bypass pipes. We used the only valves we could acquire at the time. After being appointed by Helical, Fabspeed immediately bought the exact Helical high-temperature valves that Porsche AG utilizes and installs on the factory GT3 cars. Our goal has always been continued improvement and designing, offering you the very best components and parts to all Porsche fans. Fun fact: Porsche had many GT3 vacuum valves fail on 1st and 2nd generation GT3. Eventually Porsche switched exclusively to Helical Limited exhaust valves across their line on the GT3 cars. Ferrari, Lamborghini and Mclaren did the same.

Here are a couple pictures of a very old GT3 side muffler bypass pipes with lousy cheap Chinese exhaust valves and our updated design using Helical U.K exhaust valves. Notice the Chines valves next to the Helical billet valves.

Happy to help answer any other questions - Alan may not be our biggest fan but at least he's a Porsche enthusiast and that's a fan in our eyes nonetheless.

Last edited by Joe@Fabspeed; 01-29-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:12 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up Side Deletes Grenaded Center Muffler

Originally Posted by Karl911
The Fab Speed Steel plate does not work , still blew a hole in my Stock OE muffler and replaced with Dundon !
Very common problem with Side Deletes. I have a pair of Sides at $400 on Rennlist Market Place. PM me if interested.

Quick Reply: Side deletes grenaded Center Muffler?