Sponsored by:

Charge-o-mat

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 10:44 PM
loneregister
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Charge-o-mat

So, I picked up the porsche battery charger/tender for my 2018 991.2 GT3 - and am a bit confused as to which battery mode to select. Li-Ion, or Lead Acid?
It looks like this. Anyone have information on which mode to use? It is plugged into the 12V socket in the passenger footwell.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:59 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by loneregister
So, I picked up the porsche battery charger/tender for my 2018 991.2 GT3 - and am a bit confused as to which battery mode to select. Li-Ion, or Lead Acid?
It looks like this. Anyone have information on which mode to use? It is plugged into the 12V socket in the passenger footwell.
Think you want lead acid if it’s the stock battery. They are AGM which is a variety of lead acid.
The following users liked this post:
loneregister (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 12:21 AM
shahrukh_bakar
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 52 Posts

If you lift up the plastic cover in the trunk you will see the battery which is often made by Banner, made in Austria. 80 AH 800 CCA, AGM which is lead acid. Press the mode button and use the ‘car’ icon on the charger which is the normal program, not the motorcycle icon which is the small battery program.
loneregister (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 02:57 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

It is my understanding that all the sockets in the 2018 GT3 turn off after a few minutes and cannot be used with battery tenders. They have to be connected directly to the battery. Or is there something special about the Porsche branded charger?
Old 12-09-2020, 03:34 PM
RLNTL3S

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
It is my understanding that all the sockets in the 2018 GT3 turn off after a few minutes and cannot be used with battery tenders. They have to be connected directly to the battery. Or is there something special about the Porsche branded charger?
Was told the following by a Porsche Tech:

1. Plug the charger to the wall.

2. Plug the cigarette lighter under the glove box plug.

3. Turn it on to start charging.

4. Close door and then lock the car with the key fob. Very important to lock the car to put the computers into sleep mode.

If you have a power outage, repeat the above procedure, or car won't charge.

edit: this is for any charger, ctek or porsche (they are identical).

Last edited by RLNTL3S; 12-09-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:38 PM
loneregister
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks everyone. Charger attached last night. Not locked, and it's reporting full charge this AM.
Appreciate the confirmation on the lead acid setting.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:36 AM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RLNTL3S
Was told the following by a Porsche Tech:

1. Plug the charger to the wall.

2. Plug the cigarette lighter under the glove box plug.

3. Turn it on to start charging.

4. Close door and then lock the car with the key fob. Very important to lock the car to put the computers into sleep mode.

If you have a power outage, repeat the above procedure, or car won't charge.

edit: this is for any charger, ctek or porsche (they are identical).
ummmm, you mean all these years with my trickle charger plugged into the smoking package socket below the gear shift has NOT actually been trickle charging the battery? Disappointing.... can anyone verify this is accurate?
Old 12-10-2020, 12:37 AM
shahrukh_bakar
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
2018 GT3 here. I use the cigarette lighter socket in the centre console. If the ignition has been on shortly before the battery charger is connected, the socket remains active and battery charges overnight no problem.
wmond (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 07:46 AM
slumdog
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by wmond
ummmm, you mean all these years with my trickle charger plugged into the smoking package socket below the gear shift has NOT actually been trickle charging the battery? Disappointing.... can anyone verify this is accurate?
It has been charging your battery, no problem.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:51 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 630 Posts

When you close the door on the charger cord, isn’t it creating a “pinch” or “divot” in the door seal which could compromise the seal?
Old 12-10-2020, 11:57 AM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
When you close the door on the charger cord, isn’t it creating a “pinch” or “divot” in the door seal which could compromise the seal?
not only is the cord super thin, but if I think about it, I try to crack the window a bit to reduce the pinch. I also sometimes let the cord exit out the bottom of the door so it doesn't touch the window seal at all, and the cord is not showing any signs of wear. I don't think it's worth worrying about.....
Old 12-10-2020, 12:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

If you're in a garage, you can run the cord through the slightly opened window instead of the door seal.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:51 PM
3_PDLS
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 111 Posts

Did you use the red plastic piece no the 12v adapter? I did and it got stuck in the receptacle!
Old 12-10-2020, 06:29 PM
AlexOz
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jmann2380
Did you use the red plastic piece no the 12v adapter? I did and it got stuck in the receptacle!
I had that issue on a prior Cayenne. The red plastic piece cracks fairly easily and then separates readily from the rest of the plug. If you're lucky, you can fish it out using the main plug and wiggling it.Otherwise you have to fish it out with non-conductive pliers.You can try gluing it back together again, but a new plug is a better option.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:26 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts

There have been numerous topics on this. I have talked to Porsche about this as well. Here is what I have found (US version at least...)
The GT3 and GT3 RS (I have a 2019 3RS) have a "feature" built into their PCM that will detect battery levels and start to shut off non essential items after a certain period of inactivity (or load as it were). For my car I found this happened at about 1 week give or take a day. The first in the group of items that gets shut off are 12v lighter plugs (as radar detectors, phone charge plugs, etc, tend to drain when plugged in, even inactive). This means that your trickle charger can be working fine until it isn't, in which case you might end up killing your expensive Porsche battery (speaking from experience here). First time I used the trickle charger I was gone from the car for 4 weeks. Came back to it completely and utterly gone. After replacing it and talking to Porsche and personal testing with volt meters, I have come to the explanation above, which was mirrored by the master tech at both Plano and Grapevine Texas dealerships. This DOES NOT happen in other P Cars (at least not in the Cayenne, Macan or 718 S, all of which I own and have trickle charging).

The way around this is to get the adaptor for the charger that allows you to alligator clamp it to the battery directly. Since I have done this all is well, with COVID she sometimes goes a month or more before driving (yeah, I know it's a crime).

Hope this helps
Peter

Quick Reply: Charge-o-mat