Sponsored by:

JimGlo race trailers ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 01:26 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 115 Posts
Default JimGlo race trailers ?

Appreciate any input on a new enclosed race trailer. This will be for a new GT4 Clubsport and will be towed by a Cayenne diesel. I am considering a JIMGLO 20/22 as these seem to be light and of high quality. Anyone out there with a used one for sale? Thx Ed
Old 11-02-2020, 12:15 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

For what it's worth, I'm also right now researching trailers (open air) for my cars and raptor and a guy on the raptor forums recommended jimglo highly to me, here's what he wrote:

I am wondering the same thing myself. I have a 16' Viper ACR Extreme and a JimGlo EGO (all aluminum open air) trailer and just got my Raptor. I used to tow in my Tundra with KING suspension and had absolutely no issues with it.

My trailer weighs in at approximately 1550lbs. (20') If you haven't considered a JimGLO I would highly recommend it. They make some of the best trailers in the business.
https://www.jimglo.com/open-car-trailer

I, like you, decided to do the same thing and wait until I went all out with an enclosed trailer. I'm glad I did. I tracked the sh#t out of my Viper TA for about 2-3 years with my open air trailer and had a great time doing it, but like anything it fizzled out into something more occasional, and now I end up tracking my ACR a handful of times a year and am perfectly happy with that. On a side note, there is something very rewarding about towing a badass car (that you can see) in a badass truck which is why I still love the open air trailer. I'm excited to tow my ACR with the Raptor. Best of both worlds IMO.

As far as security, I have never once had an issue with security or anyone trying anything remotely suspicous and I've stayed at most tracks in California and hotels all across the state even as far down as Chuckwalla. (12 hour drive)

Old 11-02-2020, 12:49 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

If I went open I would probably go down the Futura route, easy on, easy off no race ramps to deal with. Need to have air dam, wheel and fuel bottle storage. Total towing weight is a major consideration as I want to tow using a Cayenne diesel.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:06 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 404 Likes on 122 Posts

I actually took a tour of the JimGlo factory ~4 years ago, they are actually assembled using prison labor on a prison campus. I came away VERY impressed! I ended up not getting one of their trailers only as I couldn't get the exact specs I wanted at the time, in retrospect I regret not buying one. Definitely worthy of consideration for sure.

As to the Cayenne diesel, I have one although the vast majority of the time I tow with my Ram. What I learned is that its a very capable tow rig and will return pretty impressive mileage doing it with an OPEN trailer. It was amazing pulling an open featherlite/car combo (~5klbs) and comfortable with an enclosed trailex (5500 loaded) but once I moved to a taller all aluminum 20" (9' overall height 6200lbs loaded) it really reached the point where it no longer was super happy. Honestly I think it was much less about the weight and more about wind resistance. Mine is a V-nose but total frontal area went up exponentially. Mileage dropped down to 13-14 mpg towing at 65mph (still not bad) but I had to start watching oil temps as I would see some ~255 temps. Would get ~20mpg and 230 oil temps towing open. Just something to consider.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:06 PM
HEAT'N'COOL
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Ed, I will have mine in about 3 weeks and you are more than welcome to come and check it out. I got the 22' Elite series to accommodate my Ford GT. I however added a second fold up door on passenger side in case i want to have the car in there backwards, a redactable awning with wind sensor, generator, shore power hookups...
Old 11-10-2020, 11:48 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Did you get the shower option.. lol
Old 11-10-2020, 07:08 PM
HEAT'N'COOL
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Did you get the shower option.. lol
LOL ill bring a portable one just for you.

Quick Reply: JimGlo race trailers ?