Sponsored by:

GT3 insurance question/nuance

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 10:41 AM
johndemartino
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GT3 insurance question/nuance

I appreciate that this nuance may have been discussed already, I read for a few hours but didn't some across an answer so here it goes...

I see a lot of folks suggesting to look for a policy with "agreed value" and "OEM parts guarantee". The concept of agreed value is pretty clear I guess (though I wonder what data an adjuster would pull from to lowball a claim since the prices are pretty consistent across the US) however, in the event a claim is needed, are there really any parts manufacturers making cheap parts to fit a 991 GT3? I wonder but really don't know.

Thanks,
John
Old 10-27-2020, 01:20 PM
Shockwave93
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

I think you mean to post this in the 991 forum.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:45 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Moved thread
Old 10-29-2020, 12:18 PM
johndemartino
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Apologies, yes I did intend to post in 991 Forum, thanks for moving!
Old 10-29-2020, 01:23 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by johndemartino
I appreciate that this nuance may have been discussed already, I read for a few hours but didn't some across an answer so here it goes...

I see a lot of folks suggesting to look for a policy with "agreed value" and "OEM parts guarantee". The concept of agreed value is pretty clear I guess (though I wonder what data an adjuster would pull from to lowball a claim since the prices are pretty consistent across the US) however, in the event a claim is needed, are there really any parts manufacturers making cheap parts to fit a 991 GT3? I wonder but really don't know.

Thanks,
John
I have agreed value on my GT3 with Haggerty.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:50 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 154 Posts

I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on insurance company usage of OEM vs non-OEM parts on a repair. My understanding is most companies use aftermarket, rebuilt, recycled, and surplus parts wherever possible and if you want to use an OEM part you will be expected to pay the difference. That said, there are also state laws which restrict this. Some insurance companies allow you to purchase optional coverage guaranteeing the use of OEM parts on any repair.

If you're in a collision I could see brake components, tires, wheels, & glass all being argued as being replaceable with aftermarket. But for body panels, interior trim, engine, and drivetrain I'm not sure how much is out there as non OEM. Interesting topic.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:51 PM
rhk118
Pro

Received 269 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
I have agreed value on my GT3 with Haggerty.
+1 here. Was actually way cheaper to go this route for me than adding it to my regular Auto Insurance Policy by (over 2K per year cheaper for non depreciating agreed value policy). If in event of accident using aftermarket vs Porsche parts however I have no idea. I don't imagine there are a lot of places that make aftermarket Porsche parts like everyone else...

Last edited by rhk118; 10-29-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:03 PM
D1ESEL
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I use a company called Chubb. See if they are in your area. They are some of the best
Old 10-29-2020, 05:41 PM
mithiral67
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Hmm, interesting to see whats discussed here. Have had state farm forever, have had one accident in a bmw and another in my 2015 cgts. Both times, they told me to find my own shop, they will pay for it. Shopped used OEM parts to fix it and state farm reiumbursed me minus my deductible. Where in there do they have the control to set what parts are used?

Googled agreed value, want to get that added.

Thanks,
James
Old 10-30-2020, 11:34 AM
rhk118
Pro

Originally Posted by mithiral67
Hmm, interesting to see whats discussed here. Have had state farm forever, have had one accident in a bmw and another in my 2015 cgts. Both times, they told me to find my own shop, they will pay for it. Shopped used OEM parts to fix it and state farm reiumbursed me minus my deductible. Where in there do they have the control to set what parts are used?

Googled agreed value, want to get that added.

Thanks,
James
Brother in law had a repair shop from the 90s to early 2000s - in early 2000s some insurers would intervene heavily in what parts he was allowed to use - aftermarket, not OEM to the point that if there was a backorder on an aftermarket part and an OEM available he was still not allowed to use the OEMs and would have to sit on the car. So customers were mad at him but delays were due to insurance. It eventually wore him down and he moved on to an entirely new career.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:58 AM
mithiral67
Instructor

Originally Posted by rhk118
Brother in law had a repair shop from the 90s to early 2000s - in early 2000s some insurers would intervene heavily in what parts he was allowed to use - aftermarket, not OEM to the point that if there was a backorder on an aftermarket part and an OEM available he was still not allowed to use the OEMs and would have to sit on the car. So customers were mad at him but delays were due to insurance. It eventually wore him down and he moved on to an entirely new career.
Interesting. My two accidents were fender benders, both less than $5k. Might be a different story with big costs. I did reach out to my rep and he told me that the Stated Value policy only applies to classics, not available for the gt3. Might need to look around.

Last edited by mithiral67; 10-30-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:01 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by rob944s2
I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on insurance company usage of OEM vs non-OEM parts on a repair. My understanding is most companies use aftermarket, rebuilt, recycled, and surplus parts wherever possible and if you want to use an OEM part you will be expected to pay the difference. That said, there are also state laws which restrict this. Some insurance companies allow you to purchase optional coverage guaranteeing the use of OEM parts on any repair.

If you're in a collision I could see brake components, tires, wheels, & glass all being argued as being replaceable with aftermarket. But for body panels, interior trim, engine, and drivetrain I'm not sure how much is out there as non OEM. Interesting topic.
I've had my auto insurer try to make me accept after market parts before and I refused. They will back down if you push them. If not, pay the difference yourself and sue them.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:14 PM
rhk118
Pro

Interesting. My two accidents were fender benders, both less than $5k. Might be a different story with big costs. I did reach out to my rep and he told me that the Stated Value policy only applies to classics, not available for the gt3. Might need to look around.
I have a stated value policy on mine through Haggerty. It was a negotiation however and they looked at comparables on the used market as well as number of cars brought into the USA. This is a 991.2, clearly not a "classic" but they consider it "rare". The value they quoted me to insure it was 13K over its original MSRP (this was in August), knocking that extra 13K off the policy was only like $50 cheaper so I took them on their offer. 2000 miles per year limit, and there is no way I'd be able to drive it that much anyway. No tracking (wouldn't do that with this and no tracks around me anyway). Policy is just shy of 3K. Travelers wanted just over 5K per year to add it to my stable of other cars with 3000 miles per year limit, pays depreciated value as determined by them.

It got the car in my garage, will re-evaluate next year...not sure if 3K per year on a stated policy for 13K over MSRP is a lot or not but seems about right. Others please feel free to chime in.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:22 PM
mithiral67
Instructor

Originally Posted by rhk118
I have a stated value policy on mine through Haggerty. It was a negotiation however and they looked at comparables on the used market as well as number of cars brought into the USA. This is a 991.2, clearly not a "classic" but they consider it "rare". The value they quoted me to insure it was 13K over its original MSRP (this was in August), knocking that extra 13K off the policy was only like $50 cheaper so I took them on their offer. 2000 miles per year limit, and there is no way I'd be able to drive it that much anyway. No tracking (wouldn't do that with this and no tracks around me anyway). Policy is just shy of 3K. Travelers wanted just over 5K per year to add it to my stable of other cars with 3000 miles per year limit, pays depreciated value as determined by them.

It got the car in my garage, will re-evaluate next year...not sure if 3K per year on a stated policy for 13K over MSRP is a lot or not but seems about right. Others please feel free to chime in.
Hmm, i am at $1,212 a year for 7k miles a year. $500 deductible, comprehensive, collision, $100k/$300k/$100k. State farm, but I have my golf R and home covered by them as well. All in, about 2,300 a year.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:40 PM
rhk118
Pro

Hmm, i am at $1,212 a year for 7k miles a year. $500 deductible, comprehensive, collision, $100k/$300k/$100k. State farm, but I have my golf R and home covered by them as well. All in, about 2,300 a year.
Thats about the range I expected this to come in. On a side note I use the benefits company that provides all benefits to my business for my personal home/auto/umbrella as well and they just pulled a bait and switch on the company with health benefits in a very sleazy way (went to sign and it was 80K more than quoted, inquired and it was a completely different plan, HMO not PPO, higher deductibles, COMPLETELY different than discussed or agreed on...etc.)....Then around the same time picked up the GT3 and they quoted me 5K per year with just usual traveler's depreciating auto insurance plan which seemed really high to me, then they did this to the business (maintain margin by passing COVID losses onto customers?). So in the meantime have fired them for all business purposes and then will take my Auto insurance elsewhere. Got Haggerty somewhere else as a placeholder for the GT3 until I have time to get other quotes and find someone else for personal insurances.

Last edited by rhk118; 10-30-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: GT3 insurance question/nuance